Cape Verde / Mexico

steve_b_wales

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Riu Palace Santa Maria in Cape Verde or  the Hotel Grand Sirensis Riviera Maya Resort and Spa. in Mexico? These two hotels were mentioned by people we met in Egypt recently. We are looking at booking a two week holiday for November next year.

Thanks.

Edited by steve_b_wales

Two separate people that I worked with went to Cape Verde.  Both said that they liked it but it is very isolated and not much to do there.  There were miles of open unused beaches.  The woman ran along the beach naked with her husband as there was no one there.  The bloke that I worked with went there because he was into wind surfing.  It is windy there with high waves.  Some years ago we were going to Cancun in Mexico but couldn't because of the swine flue epidemic.  We ended up on a two week back to back cruise of the med.  One of the daughters and her husband went to Mexico the other year.  It takes a bit of research into the time of year when you go to Mexico to fit into the right time.  This is between the hurricane season, and the time when the sea is full of minute jellyfish.  These get into your swimwear and if not completely washed out and bone dry tend to bite into your skin causing whitehead spots on the skin that the bra tops and trunk bottoms fit over.  Then find a time when it isn't American Spring break or other American school holidays because in America it's over 21s for Drinking whereas it isn't in Mexico so so the American collage kids go down to Mexico where they can get well tanked up and loud over the top.  But if you get into a gap then it's nice. You just got to do a bit of research wherever you go to have a great time.

18 hours ago, did i miss said:

If you do go and the airport has not changed you will have a laugh at at 

It can't be as bad as the Jomo Kenyatta in Nairobi.  Absolute chaos.  Filthy toilets,  tiles broken and missing on the floor.  Women staff like black hypo's amlessly wandering about.  Hawkers in the terminal trying to sell you 6ft high wooden statues of Massai warriors or full sacks of coffee beans.  where they think your going to store that on the airplane is anyones guess.  You can imagine trying to install a 6ft wooden statue on the plane.?  Does your friend have a seat ticket sir.?

The waters off Cape Verde are where many of the US's hurricanes develop. They're not usually severe enough to be a major concern down there and the season should end in October...Should. If the rainy season's delayed though, November can be extremely wet there!

Edit: huh. Just checked NOAA and there's a high chance of a cyclonic storm brewing in between Cape Verde and the mainland as we speak. All fun and games in the hurricane predictor industry
image.png.dc07196e898d7c449542a0f44e31a3cd.png

Edited by chrisjpainter

2 hours ago, Minky said:

Two separate people that I worked with went to Cape Verde.  Both said that they liked it but it is very isolated and not much to do there.  There were miles of open unused beaches.  The woman ran along the beach naked with her husband as there was no one there.  The bloke that I worked with went there because he was into wind surfing.  It is windy there with high waves.  Some years ago we were going to Cancun in Mexico but couldn't because of the swine flue epidemic.  We ended up on a two week back to back cruise of the med.  One of the daughters and her husband went to Mexico the other year.  It takes a bit of research into the time of year when you go to Mexico to fit into the right time.  This is between the hurricane season, and the time when the sea is full of minute jellyfish.  These get into your swimwear and if not completely washed out and bone dry tend to bite into your skin causing whitehead spots on the skin that the bra tops and trunk bottoms fit over.  Then find a time when it isn't American Spring break or other American school holidays because in America it's over 21s for Drinking whereas it isn't in Mexico so so the American collage kids go down to Mexico where they can get well tanked up and loud over the top.  But if you get into a gap then it's nice. You just got to do a bit of research wherever you go to have a great time.

Thanks for that. We went to Jamaica a few years ago, and it was mostly full of very loud young, brash, ignorant and 'do you know where I'm from'. Americans. The small amount of Canadians there, give them a wide berth, as did we.

Edited by steve_b_wales

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

Thanks for that. We went to Jamaica a few years ago, and it was mostly full of very loud , brash, ignorant and 'do you know where I'm from. Americans. The small amount of Canadians there, give them a wide berth, as did we.

In six visits to the USA everyone that I have met has been friendly and very polite.

8 hours ago, London Best said:

In six visits to the USA everyone that I have met has been friendly and very polite.

Yes, in their own country, they mostly are, as witnessed by my sister who visits there a few times a year. We were told that Jamaica is 'their playground'.

Edited by steve_b_wales

It all depends what the individual wants from their holiday.  I've worked with all sorts who loved their holidays.  one Bloke loved America and loved to drive.. anywhere.  If he clocked 3000 miles he was happy but if he'd only driven 2999 he'd do a lap round the block to make up the extra mile. Another bloke worried shifts and random day pattern.  He went to lanzarotte every year. Same hotel. Same room.  All inclusive.  He didn't want to go anywhere,  he didn't want to to socialize with anyone.  He'd get up have his full English, roast for a while, have a skinfull, roast more, Lunch, roast more, more booze, sun, shower, dinner, show, bed.  And that every day. Others just want to chill others want to visit churches.   There are as many holidays as there are holiday makers. I enjoyed the cruises but we do a lot of research into where we go and what there is to do there. And as such we've never had a faulty holiday. Earlier this year ...Feb whilst waiting for my Achilles tendon operation we went to Tenerife for a fortnight to find some Sun knowing that this year was going to be a write off after the operation.  we loved it. 

We did consider taking a coach trip across America but decided against it because the days are long because the targets are a long way apart, ( it is common to do a 400 mile day) now do I want to sit on a coach doing that kind of mileage and if you get sat to Mr nerd or Mr Bombastic on the coach would that be a good holiday. . I was told that although the Mericans speke a similar speke to us they aint English.

Cape Verde was on my list of places to go at one time, I even picked one of the Riu hotels as my preferred choice. 

I was put off by a few friends personal experiences, and some, albeit old, TripAdvisor reviews. 

2 things, food poisoning, and lack of things to do. A female friend was ill for months after she came back, and lost 4 stone. 

Might be different these days, it was over 10 years ago, but there's nothing ruins an expensive holiday more, than sitting on the toilet for most of it. 

Some odd reports of nothing to do in the Cape Verde islands. There are about 9 very different islands all within a short plane hop or ferry.Some of these islands are so diverse,  a sand dune island ,an active volcanic island, a jungle  island or two but if it is a water park or canned music resort you are in the wrong place.Hire a car and get into the islands interior they are stunningly unspoilt and lots of fun.   From Auntie.