Deformed pellets

Neil23

3 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Poor sense IMHO as it doesn't enable you to draw any useful conclusions. I always practice (in a rifle) with ammunition that I know will shoot as tight a group as my ammunition I'd actually use.

That would depend on what you were practicing  surely  ? 

Trigger technique ,Free standing shots , kneelers , speed loading /firing drills .

Chrono testing for shot strings .

There are loads of different reasons to use your less than perfect pellets  . And some seconds are perfectly adequate  for the job .

5 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Poor sense IMHO as it doesn't enable you to draw any useful conclusions. I always practice (in a rifle) with ammunition that I know will shoot as tight a group as my ammunition I'd actually use.

Breathing & trigger control practice, chucking the first few down range with a new scope while you wobble your face about on the stock, plenty of times a perfectly good one would be a waste, wobbling around learning rifle hold on sticks learning to not to wave the rifle all over the place. I 100% if your accuracy practicing you wouldn't do it. Perfect example, trying Primos trigger sticks bought for a 223 C/ F, for an initial trial run did I A/ use a C/F at £1+ a shot or B/ an air rifle with cheap & nasty pellets ? About 30mins looking at an aim point about 150yds away takeing around 30 shots trying to keep the rifle from wandering about  Yes sometimes things like useless pellets are usefull, saved me £30. Another example is my HMR, I'm trying different scopes on it at the moment, I'm useing up part box's of ammo than my barrel doesn't like. When you don't need accuracy cheap naff or unwanted ammo can & will do the job needed.

Hello, in my FX Vermy 22 ratting set up I've used AA fields , ok but expensive, same as JSB Jumbo , tried Hades but to many runners, gone onto the new spitfire domed £10 per 500, very few deformed and most clean kills or warrant a second shot, I will be using these through out the winter , if they go well I will buy more, not sure who makes them but there an English flag on the tin 👍😁

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, in my FX Vermy 22 ratting set up I've used AA fields , ok but expensive, same as JSB Jumbo , tried Hades but to many runners, gone onto the new spitfire domed £10 per 500, very few deformed and most clean kills or warrant a second shot, I will be using these through out the winter , if they go well I will buy more, not sure who makes them but there an English flag on the tin 👍😁

I'll have look a those 👍🏻

Until very recently it's 60+ years or so since I last seriously used an air rifle. Am I not right in remembering that this was quite common and was quickly and cheaply remedied by the use of a re-shaper as necessary? The modern sizers could be easily modified to suit. So far though I've had no need for either using the JSBs.

If your serious into target shooting you would wash and dry them and throw out the deformed pellets  i put a tinfull into my pocket and just pickone out  when i come to reload . But i use a airarms s300 most of the time and the bolt would correct most of these deformities putting the pellet into the breech i reckon 

On 03/10/2022 at 09:29, Neil23 said:

What's this reforming tool peoples on about ..does anybody have a photo of one?

I use the plunger part of my pellet sizer if I need to but since using Falcon pellets I don't. (Google pellet sizer and you find a picture of both parts) Failing that I'm pretty sure a biro top would do. 

On 30/09/2022 at 09:57, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, looking through the tin of spitfires I guestimate 10  percent not fit to use, that still leave 450 for a tenner

7 hours ago, sportsbob said:

A tenner ? they are £8.49 by me so you are paying nearly 18% more

😂 I'm £19.99 a tin for Falcons or RS's. 

On 29/09/2022 at 20:26, Ultrastu said:

Chrono testing for shot strings .

Surely deformed pellets give you a skewed chrono reading. 

12 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

Maybe .depends on what you are doing while chronoing .as to how much a few fps variation  makes a difference to what your doing .

So figuring out shot count  wouldn't be effected by a few random readings 

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

Maybe .depends on what you are doing while chronoing .as to how much a few fps variation  makes a difference to what your doing .

So figuring out shot count  wouldn't be effected by a few random readings 

Agreed, however on a string to determine sweet spot/aim points on a non regulated rifle for HFT comps,a few deformed pellets can make a difference. Or ****** up your results or screw with your head. 

14 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, not sure what you mean ?? 

You said you paid £10 for a tin, by me they are £8.49 so you are paying nearly 18% more for your tin than I would locally to me. 

:good:

19 hours ago, Mr.C said:

If you mean JSB Jumbo RS they are £17.99 by me.

19 hours ago, sportsbob said:

You said you paid £10 for a tin, by me they are £8.49 so you are paying nearly 18% more for your tin than I would locally to me. 

:good:

If you mean JSB Jumbo RS they are £17.99 by me.

Hello, yes but it would cost £10 to visit a RFD and that's if they stock them,