Better late than never.

muncher

I have a farm I shoot that harvested the maize a while back and it was swarming with pigeons, but as I had no outlet I let them be. Well, fortunately I received a order for some pigeons, so I decided to have a go, now as they had dwindled in numbers there’s a couple of good flight lines through that farm. I met my brother at the field around 9.30 and we watched for a while , we decided to spilt up, he took one flight line and I took the other. I set up along a dyke side with 8 plastic shells and 3 silosocks as I had no dead birds for decoys. My flight line was coming from my right and the wind was mainly from behind me , but unfortunately looking into the sun. I was ready to start around 10 o’clock and I was struggling to get any in range from the weak line. My brother was already popping away. I had a couple down and put a rotary out. And I added the next 5 on cradles. The wind was quite blustery and making shots quite challenging, I wasn’t shooting to well and tried not to get to flustered. 
most birds went wide , so I took the rotary down and that seemed to help straighten the line more over me, so most shots were flighted over the top or crossers. Then all of a sudden it went mental , I was on the phone( loudspeaker) to a friend and he said you sound like your clay shooting. My shooting had settled down and I was taking some nice high pairs. Around 3 o’clock it went very quiet, so I packed up and picked up. I picked 115 and my brother picked 121. Nice to get out and get a few. 
D34CF9E8-BF24-4686-BCF9-3842547910AA.jpeg.2822deb8b79c4d16c73ef83251ce5948.jpeg

FEAA335A-5E27-44DB-A998-CBCAA8214D88.jpeg

21 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Two superb bags , most of our Pigeons are now on a heavy fall of acorns , walked around this afternoon and underneath the Oak trees it look like a carpet of acorns , many , many 100s 

Are you still shooting left handed ?

I use both shoulders now, if it’s a bright day I’m ok to shoot right handed , I struggle in poor light. I am slowly trying to get consistent swapping shoulders while shooting and it’s getting there. 

19 hours ago, muncher said:

I use both shoulders now, if it’s a bright day I’m ok to shoot right handed , I struggle in poor light. I am slowly trying to get consistent swapping shoulders while shooting and it’s getting there. 

Moving from shoulder to shoulder would be way behind me and no doubt several other members on here , I shut my left eye when I shoot and god above know where my shot would go by swapping shoulders over and then shutting the right eye , if  I  did manage to hit anything it would certainly be by luck and not judgement .

I now find my eyesight vary in different light conditions , I used to blame it with looking now and again in the bright sunshine , now I am not so sure , I can see a pigeon at distance but as it get nearer with a dark hedge behind it I seem to lose it until it is over the decoys , also now and again you knock one out and when it hit the deck you can't believe how far it was when you gave it a shot , there you go , as long as we are still taking part is the main thing .:good:

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Moving from shoulder to shoulder would be way behind me and no doubt several other members on here , I shut my left eye when I shoot and god above know where my shot would go by swapping shoulders over and then shutting the right eye , if  I  did manage to hit anything it would certainly be by luck and not judgement .

I now find my eyesight vary in different light conditions , I used to blame it with looking now and again in the bright sunshine , now I am not so sure , I can see a pigeon at distance but as it get nearer with a dark hedge behind it I seem to lose it until it is over the decoys , also now and again you knock one out and when it hit the deck you can't believe how far it was when you gave it a shot , there you go , as long as we are still taking part is the main thing .:good:

I do ok , but some days it seems all wrong. Can be great if they come the wrong side if you though and you get it right😁

Well done, a great day. I admire your persistence in learning to shoot from either shoulder. Many would have called it quits. 

Finding an outlet for birds is a real headache here too. Pre-covid I had a range of restaurants in the area that took birds but that has greatly diminished to one or two. I have BoP guys that take them but they can only accept so many. Like you I won't shoot unless the birds are used properly.