Any Nikko experts on here?.

bruno22rf

Just placed a holding deposit on a gun advertised as a Nikko Shadow Indy but ,on closer inspection, I'm not sure it's an Indy. It's on a well known "trader" site for sale in Glasgow for £225 (not sure if I'm allowed to name the site?) but it doesn't appear to have the forend vents, the engraving looks different to the Indy pics I've seen and the chequering looks wrong? I'm beginning to think that it's a Shadow Trap.

I’m no expert but I was of the opinion that only the Shadow Indy had the three fore-end vents and multiple lines in the vent ribs and diamond checkering. 🤷‍♂️
You could ask the seller? I would have thought ANY Shadow Indy was worth more than 225 quid unless it’s as rough as a badgers doodah. 

18 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’m no expert but I was of the opinion that only the Shadow Indy had the three fore-end vents and multiple lines in the vent ribs and diamond checkering. 🤷‍♂️
You could ask the seller? I would have thought ANY Shadow Indy was worth more than 225 quid unless it’s as rough as a badgers doodah. 

Yes, my thinking as well, I will ring him Monday.

I had one many years ago, that had a vented forend. Yes, there were occasional problems with the top rib, mainly down to owner neglect. Make sure you check the vented centre rib well, also hang the barrels on your finger (from the hook) then flick them with forefinger of your other hand. IF9 they make a dull ring, be careful. I was shooting in a DTL competition in Ireland and the next gun to me had a Shadow Indy which blew a hole in the barrel, half way through the Comp. It had rusted in the vented centre rib. I now soak the centre rib with oil on all guns that come into my possession. 

To the best of my knowledge the ' Indy' all had the wide aluminum vented rib. There was a Shadow 7 (which I also had) which had a conventional rib, but was still a Trap gun.

Edited by Westley

On 24/10/2022 at 11:02, bruno22rf said:

Spoke to the dealer first thing, genuine mistake and happy to cancel the order. On the hunt now for a Shadow Indy Trap, be nice to find one that's had the chokes opened out but I guess that unlikely.

Good for him, but disappointing for you no doubt. 
Had a bit of a Google and found a very nice looking Shadow Indy skeet gun. Sorely tempted. 
Good luck and let’s have some pics when you find one. 

5 hours ago, Scully said:

Good for him, but disappointing for you no doubt. 
Had a bit of a Google and found a very nice looking Shadow Indy skeet gun. Sorely tempted. 
Good luck and let’s have some pics when you find one. 

Thanks Scully, hopefully picking up a mint example tomorrow but it's 3 times what I was initially going to pay - the Wifes buying it for me so happy days. If you are looking for one Melbourne Guns have one (they didn't even realise it is an Indy) or I can give you the number of a guy who has a really nice one, private sale, for £450.

Edited by bruno22rf

8 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Thanks Scully, hopefully picking up a mint example tomorrow but it's 3 times what I was initially going to pay - the Wifes buying it for me so happy days. If you are looking for one Melbourne Guns have one (they didn't even realise it is an Indy) or I can give you the number of a guy who has a really nice one, private sale, for £450.

Sounds good. Don’t forget to put up plenty of pcs when you get it. 👍

Sent pictures of the skeet model to mate who’s now badgering me to get it! 

Have always fancied a dedicated skeet gun if just for the Westlands layout. Funny how our fancies change; I once turned down the offer of a sleeper of a 101 because it was choked skeet and skeet. 🤷‍♂️
Have fun.

Edited by Scully

On 23/10/2022 at 10:21, bruno22rf said:

Just placed a holding deposit on a gun advertised as a Nikko Shadow Indy but ,on closer inspection, I'm not sure it's an Indy. It's on a well known "trader" site for sale in Glasgow for £225 (not sure if I'm allowed to name the site?) but it doesn't appear to have the forend vents, the engraving looks different to the Indy pics I've seen and the chequering looks wrong? I'm beginning to think that it's a Shadow Trap.

Good price for an aging obsolete gun . Just bear in mind if anything breaks other than a striker or coil spring then it could  be costly repair .Dont believe anything anyone tells you that you " can get bits from the US " or that is the same gun as the similarly obsolete Winchester and you can can get bits for them . 

All set to leave this morning, up at 6 got everything sorted then realised that my cert is still in Scotland with the first dealer 🤨. Rang the dealer I'm getting the gun from , Cotswold Shooting Co, and left a holding deposit so it's secure. Spoke to a different chap today and he assures me the gun has rarely been out of the cabinet and is mint.

4 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

All set to leave this morning, up at 6 got everything sorted then realised that my cert is still in Scotland with the first dealer 🤨. Rang the dealer I'm getting the gun from , Cotswold Shooting Co, and left a holding deposit so it's secure. Spoke to a different chap today and he assures me the gun has rarely been out of the cabinet and is mint.

Pictures are a must. 👍

5 hours ago, Gunman said:

Good price for an aging obsolete gun . Just bear in mind if anything breaks other than a striker or coil spring then it could  be costly repair .Dont believe anything anyone tells you that you " can get bits from the US " or that is the same gun as the similarly obsolete Winchester and you can can get bits for them . 

I don’t want to deflect from this thread. But you can get bits for the Winchester 101. I got an ejector for a mates Grand European off this very forum. 
Not that it proves anything, but As far as I’m aware there are Shadow Indy actions which are in fact Winchester 101 actions. 🤷‍♂️