Life in the old girl yet !

Agriv8

So the spaniel and its decrepit owner ( that it doesn’t listen to ) me have been invited for a bit of beating. Having caught the pocket on a door handle i ripped the seem out  on my favourite beating trousers thought I might have to walk in something less comfortable!

Had an hour spare so a few had stitches to get pocket and everything lined up out with the modern sewing machine to finish off all sorted read for Saturday. 

Agriv8

47C98FCA-45DE-497F-A94E-AEBBB4F96EC5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

So the spaniel and its decrepit owner ( that it doesn’t listen to ) me have been invited for a bit of beating. Having caught the pocket on a door handle i ripped the seem out  on my favourite beating trousers thought I might have to walk in something less comfortable!

Had an hour spare so a few had stitches to get pocket and everything lined up out with the modern sewing machine to finish off all sorted read for Saturday. 

Agriv8

I AM SERIOUSLY IMPRESSED i thought i was the only one on here that knew or had an old working singer....mine is a bit older and totally complete......a few years ago (if you remember i put up a thread with pics about making some shooting nets fro the landrover with my old singer

GOOD ON YOU :yahoo:

1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

Agriv8

Respect 🙏 🤲  I wouldn't have a clue how to work it.

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

I AM SERIOUSLY IMPRESSED i thought i was the only one on here that knew or had an old working singer....mine is a bit older and totally complete......a few years ago (if you remember i put up a thread with pics about making some shooting nets fro the landrover with my old singer

GOOD ON YOU :yahoo:

thanks Dichy 

Mine was bought from a charity shop a few years ago £50 fully complete electric conversion ( but tend to use in hand mode as more control for tricky stuff re sewing seems ) instruction books oil kits hard case and attachments that look like they belong to an SS interrogators tool kit. 

She can be picky using cheap thread I think it’s too thin and stretchy- according to the serial number year of manufacture is 1947 but once setup ( thread tension is usually the sticking point to get sorted!

it’s manufactured to last and likes a drop of oil I need to repair a rip in my shooting coat but can take my posh one on Saturday !

Atb Agriv8 

8 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Respect 🙏 🤲  I wouldn't have a clue how to work it.

Brought up in a school where you did home economics and textiles teacher said I had a knack with a sewing machine but being a tinkerer and interested in owt mechanical I sort of gelled with them . If you can drive a car you can use a sewing machine just need to understand the basics . 

Agriv8

1 minute ago, Agriv8 said:

Brought up in a school where you did home economics and textiles teacher said I had a knack with a sewing machine but being a tinkerer and interested in owt mechanical I sort of gelled with them . If you can drive a car you can use a sewing machine just need to understand the basics . 

Agriv8

My mother had one but I never did get shown how it worked, I wished that I had taken more interest 😕 

55 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

THAT is a lovely old Singer. I have a sewing machine with which I frequently do repairs.  Needs must and a patch her...patch there saves a bit of cartridge money.

Bit like old guns arnt they - Exactly same hear prepared to put time in mending my cloths. I buy some trousers un seamed as cursed with a 35 inch inside leg means cheap trousers are a no no  but I need to hem them  The trousers in the picture are fjällräven barents there £100 new  but have lasted well ( 3 beating seasons and lots of other abuse along the way ) really comfortable and quick drying - but me rushing out as running late for something the door handle got caught in the pocket my cough 16 stone meant something had to give material held strong so seam had to give.

Noticed while mending them that the pockets are getting thin so will have to sew some liners in.

The only other problem is the requirement to locate Mrs Agriv8 s reading glasses to thread a needle these days !

Agriv8

46 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

My mother had one but I never did get shown how it worked, I wished that I had taken more interest 😕 

buy a Gibb ..........they are so easzy and small and simple...they were designed for the pioneers to take out west in the land trains

10 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I shudder when I realise my mother gave my grandmothers treadle Singer to the scrap man., like I sold my Range Rover CSK for £4000 and saw one just go at auction for

£50 000. 

what would hurt would be if it was your old car and it was a week later!!!

My Nan had a treadle Singer that if I remember right spun upside down when not in use but I may be mistaken.

I picked up an old Singer at a carboot about 10 years ago. It was a fella on a stand next to me - he fancied something of mine so I traded him. It is in the attic - I think I got it because of my Nan

11 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I shudder when I realise my mother gave my grandmothers treadle Singer to the scrap man., like I sold my Range Rover CSK for £4000 and saw one just go at auction for

£50 000. 

Ah at 50k it went cheap!

a csk the mythical 3 door Range Rover I 

a bit of reading if you if you fancy :-

https://www.classicandsportscar.com/features/king-hill-driving-range-rover-csk

as a lad beating I am sure one of the guns had one to match his pair of beautiful Labrador my dad will remember !

Agriv8

this is getting really sad :lol:...posting sewing machine pics....

this is my old gal ...took it all apart as it was well gummed up....used hydraulic oil for lube ...and then collected all the bits for it from sale rooms ...including an original instruction book....

machine.JPG

bits box.JPG

singer bits.JPG

singer.JPG

11 minutes ago, ditchman said:

this is getting really sad ...posting sewing machine pics....

this is my old gal ...took it all apart as it was well gummed up....used hydraulic oil for lube ...and then collected all the bits for it from sale rooms ...including an original instruction book....

machine.JPG

bits box.JPG

singer bits.JPG

singer.JPG

Some of those ole Singers look like works of art , and yet just lately I have seen a few on Bargain Hunt and sadly they make next to nothing , there was one on the other day that was complete and the original table that came with it at the time it was new , can't remember what it made at auction but I think it was around 40 quid .

41 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

Singers had their own brand of oil and somewhere I may have the ,'Singer' screwdriver from my grandmothers machine.

Blackpowder

you are right .........its very thin...thats why i used hydraulic oil...and hydraulic oil takes a lot longer to go claggy...

On 28/10/2022 at 20:09, ditchman said:

this is getting really sad :lol:...posting sewing machine pics....

machine.JPG

bits box.JPG

singer bits.JPG

singer.JPG

Not sad at all Ditchy a fine machine There is something about anything 70+ years old still doing what it was built for weather that’s old guns old cars or old sewing machines 

ps I don’t see a singer stamp on the glasses 

Agriv8

pps have you worked out what all the attachments do !?!

Edited by Agriv8

1 minute ago, Agriv8 said:

Not sad at all Ditchy a fine machine There is something about anything 70+ years old still doing what it was built for weather that’s old guns old cars or old sewing machines 

ps I don’t see a singer stamp on the glasses 

Agriv8

rae bans from specsavers circa 1933