Estate agent waste of breath ?.

Bigbob

My daughter lives over 3 hours away and has decided its time to move nearer home a house 2 doors down across the road came on the market , she explained she was 8 months pregnant and couldn't get down till the Saturday fine the booked her in for a viewing as the closing date was more than 2 weeks away , She's gets down on the Saturday gets a phone call its sold i went to see the daughter of the old lady who died there and she said if i had know you could of had it estate agents accepted first offer . Two week goes by a house 5 streets down comes up threw same company  she phoned explained  circumstances and got a viewing for the weekend coming home one night we aw a for sale notice on it and got her to call estate agent they had accepted first offer again and never thought to phone her . They asked her if she would like them to send her details  of similar houses in this area  " yes please " she was looking at 3/4 bedroom houses in this area they sent her details of a 1 bedroom flat 20 miles away LOL . Now the house next to the first one comes up for sale old lady dies daughter speaks to my wife we get the keys daughter gets a viewing then the home report its valued £185 '000 Now i don't think this is the estate agent just greed they told us next door went for £215'000 they want the same despite next door being bigger and all done up new roof ETC £30.0000 over value so it goes to viewing and there are just a couple    > So son in law phones phone estate agents to offer £210.000 to be told you havent viewed it i cant take your offer Said tell Mrs So an so the vender of my offer . One week later daughter hears nothing a bigger 4 bed comes up over the back mum and brother do a video link viewing with daughter  offers over £250 .000 offered a bit more 20 minutes goes by gets a phone call you just bought a house . Then the daughter of the lady across the road texts the daughter to ask if she wants to put a offer in for our house she tells her we offered you £210.000 but nobody got back to us so i one two streets up Oh the estate agents didnt say . Is it just this company of cowboys are they all like that folk will always buy houses so we can do what we want 

This other couple and there estate agents have been great only thing i know they moved out yesterday handed the keys in at 9.00am and everythings been done and i am still waiting on a call to pick them up at 2.30pm  

No lots are like that. 

Put in an offer on a house, was accepted and asked them to take it off the market. A week later and the estate agent phones to ask if we will up our offer as they had been given several other offers higher than ours (I went ballistic!). Not only that but the owner said they had already bought a house so as cash buyers it would be fast, however she hadn't bought anything and we found out that everything fell apart later due to lies and deceit.

Shortly after we had an offer in on another house, we had sold up in Scotland and had moved into our daughters, and found out that the estate agent knew someone had backed out of the chain but waited as long as possible before telling us, fortunately the people we were buying from were in the process of putting in an offer on another property so it wasn't all bad. Estate agent told us that this property owner was moving into their mums place, so a short chain and fast turn around. Two weeks later we were told that they couldn't move into mums, so were looking at rentals or buying! Several weeks later and we had to move out of our daughters place as she had had her baby and we moved into a hell hole rental for 3 months, but we told them to get a move on as we were looking at other properties, we found one that was ideal, small village 2 miles away from our daughter, and online auction which meant if we got it we had to complete in 28 days of acceptance. We won and well under our top price and I enjoyed telling the estate agent that we were removing our offer. They put it back on the market for 10K more the same day. Vultures, not to be trusted!

2 hours ago, old'un said:

bathe sides??

It's not your sides that need bathing when you have been dry reamed by an estate agent!  At one time it was a bit of a skill to value a property. Nowadays they look on Right move or Zoopla, see what one sold for nearby and then add a bit on.

what DO they actually do?

just saying

But to value a house at 200k then the asking price is 225k you only get a mortgage for what its worth  the rest must come from savings . We put a few offers in for houses well above the asking price only to get a phone call stating they had 5 offers above ours . So how come 2 weeks later the houses are back up on offer and one was for sale at a fixed price well below the last asking price 

Take it as an omen.  Now is definitely the wrong time to buy Bob, despite some idiots chucking their money around like they've got an allergy to it.  I think the market has peaked already and we'll be looking at house prices dropping sharply when this impending financial cluster**** comes to fruition.  I'd advise your daughter to just sit tight for now and wait to see what happens in the next 6-12 months.

I went on to new fixed rate deals on my mortgages within the last couple of months, just in the nick of time, because only a week or two later KamiKwaze chucked his ill-informed hand grenade of a budget into the room and the lenders all got so twitchy they whacked the rates up.  I was literally about 10 days away from that when I got the new deals signed.  I thought going up from 1.44% to 3.4% was painful but I'm glad I didn't leave it any longer.

I took a rather large chunk of capital out of one of my properties which is now sitting waiting to be thrown at a purchase when the prices drop, I'm guessing some time in the next year.  Although the BoE are going to be doing all sorts to defer it, I think it's inevitable.

Possibly your daughter could remortgage now and do similar - although I'm not sure if the rates would be more favourable now or after the market has crashed, best speak to a mortgage advisor on that one.

Definitely don't pay top dollar for a house now.  Many of those doing so are going to be in negative equity and many repossessed.  Some bargains will be coming for those who can exercise a little restraint at the moment.

I was going to say it cant be helped but it can daughters 30 travels all over sorting out pubs for her company , She's sorted this one out over 3 hrs from home and now she's over 8 months pregnant wants to be near her mum for the baby which i get . The company was great to her after asking her to go to a certain area and bring a pub up to scratch they pay her house and a flat rate for bills the nice thing was she said i have found a one bedroom flat in a complex they said we asked you to move up there away from family and friends so there a 3 bed house there take that and it will let folk stay over when they visit . But she's not been daft all the time she has been a manager for this company she has put the money she would of spent on a mortgage away so there's a contagiously fund in place and after her years maternity leave if she cant get a job near home she will rent it out