Fat on pheasants.

fse10

17 minutes ago, fse10 said:

Don't shoot or cook many pheasants, is it best to trim off the yellow fat as think i read somewhere that it is not great to eat.

thats where the taste is.....when you make your gravy ...use the dripping out of the pan with the juice from boiling the lights....bit of gravy browning and some sweet sherry...chop the lights up (not the gizzard) and add to the homemade stuffing

if too much fat ...spoon some off before making gravy...

Hard to beat a good fat pheasant,  especially if it has been feeding on maize.  Lovely yellow fat. Top class.. but most of pheasants I shoot,  never have much fat on them.  All game birds and ducks taste better with fat on them.  And with ducks and woodcock,  they really put on a good condition, layer of fat when the weather turns hard,  frosty, Mallard and teal do be laden with fat, and woodcock lovely layer with two pucks either side of flanks.. as they say food of the gods!. 

I trim it off,don't like it.

I do the same with venison fat.Unless it is cooked on the bbq I find it gets very glarry and get congealed very quickly.Leaves a funny layer on the roof of my mouth.

Shot a sika hind this morning and she was full of fat Couldn't see her kidneys they were totally encased.