Converting air rifle to FAC?

ilovemyheckler

5 hours ago, ilovemyheckler said:

I have a nearly new .22 Air Arms S510 doing nothing so I was wondering if I get FAC air rifle rating on my certificate would it be worth getting my current air rifle converted/tuned or would it be better to just buy a 2nd hand FAC rated air rifle?

Thanks

If your airarms is a very good gun ,accurate ,reliable etc  

Then having it converted to fac can be a very good option .

You will always loose some money on selling a gun (sub 12 or fac ) and then rebuying another gun that you hope will be accurate / reliable .as your current sub12 .

I've  had converted 2 sub 12 s to fac and they have proved to be excellent .and it cost me almost nothing .

Its always gonna be harder to sell a section 1 fire arm than a sub 12 . If you buy a dud of a fac your gonna loose a lot of money (and hassle selling it on ) as you can't just go into a shop and part ex it for another fac . Like you can with a sub 12 .

I wouldn't convert the S510, it's worth far more sub12 but if you go FAC they have very limited shot count, you will soon realise that it needs a Reg to be usable and the AA rifles tend to dislike after market Regs, mine had one fitted about a month ago and it's about to be returned for the third time as it leaks. Spoke to a local service guy and he informed me that AA mirror polish both ends of the cylinder where they seal in standard form, but a Reg (Lane) sits about 70mm inside and it can be a devil of a job to get them to seal - he promised me that he had recently stripped one 35 times before ot sealed.

Hello, buy a FAC air rifle, if you want to sell the AA they are getting  good prices second hand with new around a £1,000, with FAC it all depends how many shots your wanting and size of your air cylinder, many now are going over to a compressor with FAC air,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

12 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

be a devil of a job to get them to seal - he promised me that he had recently stripped one 35 times before ot sealed

That's really not good, bad for you but also bad for the fella fitting the reg, how much time is he losing if he has to keep messing trying to get it to seal?

11 minutes ago, Mice! said:

That's really not good, bad for you but also bad for the fella fitting the reg, how much time is he losing if he has to keep messing trying to get it to seal?

God alone knows, mine actually has a piece of O ring sticking out of the breather hole so you would think a fairly simple fix. It holds Reg pressure for about 10 days then starts to drop so pressure from upstream of the Reg is feeding the Reg. 

2 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

God alone knows, mine actually has a piece of O ring sticking out of the breather hole so you would think a fairly simple fix. It holds Reg pressure for about 10 days then starts to drop so pressure from upstream of the Reg is feeding the Reg. 

I'm surprised the fella hasn't said he won't work on regs for AA if he knows there could be so much hassle.