Weather - Getting colder.

Penelope

The last three nights down here in Kent have been a hard hard frost with everything looking like there had been snow showers.  Nice sunny if chilly days with beautiful dark pink sunsets.  The sky has been a beautiful midnight blue.  But holley molley is that cold outside. In the sun room/ conservatory it is about 11c but in the house it is about 23c which is nice.  especially when you come in from outside.

12 minutes ago, Minky said:

The last three nights down here in Kent have been a hard hard frost with everything looking like there had been snow showers.  Nice sunny if chilly days with beautiful dark pink sunsets.  The sky has been a beautiful midnight blue.  But holley molley is that cold outside. In the sun room/ conservatory it is about 11c but in the house it is about 23c which is nice.  especially when you come in from outside.

good job there's very little wind then, as it would be bloody cold. :)

Roll on global warming.  Yesterday I watched a youtube  video about how over thousands of millions of years going right back before animals were on the planet that there have been several period of ice ages.  One of these lasted for over 350 million years.  These have been found by the deposits of rocks showing how continents like Australia have shifted.  Humans have only been here for the blink of an eye.  Considering that we can't settle on the moon, the human race would be in a really dire situation.  Still none of it will happen this side of Christmas.ļ

41 minutes ago, Minky said:

What you mean like when it feels like your finger nails are going to peel off and you've shut your hand in a door.

An old post of mine that was in reply to a post by marshman, think this day was the coldest I had ever been.

I remember one bitterly cold outing in the early 80s when I nearly came a cropper, a field of winter rape that was getting some serious attention from thousands of pigeons and a call from the farmer asking me to sort them out.

It was a bitterly cold wind but I was in my early 30s and fit and keen, once I got to the field I loaded up and set out across the field to my chosen spot, I could feel the heat draining from my body it was bitterly cold, but I thought once I get shooting I would warm up, there were pigeons coming from everywhere whilst I was still setting up, once in the hide there was some really hot action, I could hardly load fast enough, this went on for a good hour and I must have killed 50+, it went a bit quiet for about half an hour, the wind got even stronger and it started to sleet/snow, I could feel myself getting colder and I started to have problems picking cartridges out of my pocket, the pigeons started again but I was struggling to load the gun, by now my feet and legs were almost numb and my hands felt like they did not belonged to me, I needed to get back to the car and get out of this sleet and icy wind, gathering what I could of my gear I headed back to the car which was about 200 yards away, I was struggling and shaking with the cold, on reaching the car I just dropped everything on the floor, but now I could not feel my hands and try as I may I could not get the car keys out of my pocket, I started to panic a bit as I was now shaking like a leaf and feeling a bit light headed, I had now been out in this bitterly cold wind and sleet for over 3 hours, I was also in a fairly remote area, I continued trying to warm my hands to get some feeling back into them but they were now starting to hurt me, then I think someone must have answered my prayers, the farmer was coming down the lane from the farm and I waved him down, after I quick chat he said get in, back at the farm and with two or three cups of hot tea I was starting to thaw out but now the pain started, it was another hour before I felt warm and strong enough to go and collect the rest of my gear and pick up the pigeons I had killed.

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

An old post of mine that was in reply to a post by marshman, think this day was the coldest I had ever been.

I remember one bitterly cold outing in the early 80s when I nearly came a cropper, a field of winter rape that was getting some serious attention from thousands of pigeons and a call from the farmer asking me to sort them out.

It was a bitterly cold wind but I was in my early 30s and fit and keen, once I got to the field I loaded up and set out across the field to my chosen spot, I could feel the heat draining from my body it was bitterly cold, but I thought once I get shooting I would warm up, there were pigeons coming from everywhere whilst I was still setting up, once in the hide there was some really hot action, I could hardly load fast enough, this went on for a good hour and I must have killed 50+, it went a bit quiet for about half an hour, the wind got even stronger and it started to sleet/snow, I could feel myself getting colder and I started to have problems picking cartridges out of my pocket, the pigeons started again but I was struggling to load the gun, by now my feet and legs were almost numb and my hands felt like they did not belonged to me, I needed to get back to the car and get out of this sleet and icy wind, gathering what I could of my gear I headed back to the car which was about 200 yards away, I was struggling and shaking with the cold, on reaching the car I just dropped everything on the floor, but now I could not feel my hands and try as I may I could not get the car keys out of my pocket, I started to panic a bit as I was now shaking like a leaf and feeling a bit light headed, I had now been out in this bitterly cold wind and sleet for over 3 hours, I was also in a fairly remote area, I continued trying to warm my hands to get some feeling back into them but they were now starting to hurt me, then I think someone must have answered my prayers, the farmer was coming down the lane from the farm and I waved him down, after I quick chat he said get in, back at the farm and with two or three cups of hot tea I was starting to thaw out but now the pain started, it was another hour before I felt warm and strong enough to go and collect the rest of my gear and pick up the pigeons I had killed.

I can't say I can compete with a day as cold as that , trouble is, when you are younger the cold don't normally come into play when there is a days sport on the cards and you don't realise how cold you are getting , I know when we used to trap Coypus on the very cold days I would dispatch them , hang them up by the tail and then warm my hands up on there warm body , not for the faint hearted but you had to make use of what was at hand in the very cold conditions . 

2 hours ago, old'un said:

That was pretty hard-core and I  believe that you have to realise your limitations or else you can end up in serious, even life threatening situations.   One boxing day we had a bit of a walk up along the ditches and a couple of small drives with a turn around, so beat then stand until about 11.30. Then it was home for 20 mins and then a group of us went with the keeper to a place for a duck flight.  We met up with a couple of blokes and then we loaded up into two hiluxes. we were taken to a place where hides made by stakes and pallets covered with plastic sheeting and some black plastic paraweave had been set up overlooking water.  The trucks left us to it.  Now I  had foreseen  this being V cold so at home I had put Damart on and several layers with scarf. Gloves,  woolly hat and a windproof outer shell.  Well prepared and kitted out.  As the afternoon went into dusk the temp dropped like a stone well below zero.  The water started to freeze over and the dogs were like frozen hedgehogs where their fur froze as they shook the water off.  It got dark and we couldn't see anything.   Considering that as soon as we arrived I had gone over to the next hide and taken off some of the plastic sheeting to wrap around our hide to help shield against the biting wind and driving snow.  We were frozen and shaking keeping the dogs bodies in between our legs to absorb heat from them.  We really wanted the trucks to come back and pick us up.  Eventually they did come and we then had quite a distance to cover crouching down behind the cab out of the wind and snow with dogs and ducks.  I don't think that Hypothermia was far away for both us and the dogs.  Just getting back inside our trucks was like getting into safety. That was a bit of an bad experience.  A bit further along there was a young bloke who only had on a pair of trainers and a track suit. Totally ill prepared. Apararently he had been out on the booze.  But how he didn't end up in hospital with hypothermia was a surprise, inexplicable.

Edited by Minky

Had a walk down Benfleet creek this morning with the hound. lovely sunny morning & loads of mallard teal & widgeon about. Interesting to see that the sea is starting to freeze already, sheets of rime on the edges of the mud along the rills & on the saltings. It builds up quickly. 

Might thin the egrets out a bit they are not built for the cold!