VARIATION

wymberley

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lucky Shot 1958 said:

Posted my application for a variation on the Monday variation arrived on the Thursday,4 days,well done Suffolk Police….

Go on, rub it in. :mad:

Still nothing except that my cheque has been cashed. Seriously though, thanks for posting. :good: These examples of efficiency WILL land in the D&CC PCC's in tray

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2023 at 15:21, wymberley said:

They just have via email. This WILL be fun.

It is.

Haven't heard from step-son so he's either locked up in The Tower or his fiance gave him a good slapping. (See above)

And I've had a reply which is almost verbatim as I expected. I didn't know what Bcc meant but found out. Feel sorry for my MP as he sounded fed up that I copied him for info only but at that stage required no action. The reply - not from the P&CC herself but a Customer Services Support Officer made things easy and my response has been sent. MP will be pleased that I've now asked for his input should he see fit - the MP down in Plymouth who is causing/has caused all the trouble is of a different political persuasion

3 hours ago, wymberley said:

the MP down in Plymouth who is causing/has caused all the trouble is of a different political persuasion

The bookies have him as 7th favourite to be the next leader of the Labour Party. Might sound insignificant, but he’s only grown in popularity since Keyham. I wish that BASC would take him more seriously as a threat to the future of shooting.

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/12/2023 at 12:36, wymberley said:

It is.

Haven't heard from step-son so he's either locked up in The Tower or his fiance gave him a good slapping. (See above)

And I've had a reply which is almost verbatim as I expected. I didn't know what Bcc meant but found out. Feel sorry for my MP as he sounded fed up that I copied him for info only but at that stage required no action. The reply - not from the P&CC herself but a Customer Services Support Officer made things easy and my response has been sent. MP will be pleased that I've now asked for his input should he see fit - the MP down in Plymouth who is causing/has caused all the trouble is of a different political persuasion

No response so had another go. I don't suppose BASC thought to ask about how progress was going with the review while they were busy teaching the FELU how to do land checks recently.

Anyone else from Devon and Cornwall waiting up to 3 months+ for a variation?

Think yourselves lucky you don't have to deal with West Mercia.

PCC letter to Chief Constable on firearms licensing performance 26 September 2023

Dear Pippa,

I write further to our discussion on the Firearms Licensing Unit (FLU) at last week’s West Mercia Governance Board (WMGB).

Having reflected I feel it is appropriate and necessary to formally set out my significant concerns around some elements of performance within the FLU and seek your reassurance that these concerns will be urgently addressed.

As I stated at WMGB public safety is my top priority, but with the additional resources I have made available to enact the operational activity you recommended, the public are entitled to expect an improvement in service without compromising safety. I felt at times that the discussion focused more on describing the problem, with insufficient emphasis on a clear route map towards sustained performance improvement, in line with the intent set out in my decision earlier this year to invest additional resources in the FLU. 

As Commissioner I have received sustained and significant concerns from members of the community expressing their concern and frustration on this topic. I have continued to raise these concerns on behalf of the public with West Mercia Police and have been clear in my appetite to see reduced backlogs and faster processing of cases. The nature and frequency of correspondence from residents, business owners, MPs and councillors demonstrates that the safe use of firearms by responsible owners remains a key element of both community life and the local economy in West Mercia. It is vitally important to them that the service level provided by the FLU reflects that. 

I am aware of the context to this matter in respect of West Mercia being the area with the highest volume of firearms licences in the country and the additional workload now associated with firearms licensing. I recognise the significant level of demand this places on the FLU. That is why I made £200,000 of additional resource available and indicated my support for further investment if it is required.

My initial investment decision in March 2023 was taken in full consultation with the Force with a view to improving performance and better meeting community needs. At the time, the average wait for the issue of a firearms licence and shotgun licence were 230 days and 251 days respectively. Renewals of firearms licences and shotgun licences were 86 days and 66 days respectively. The intent of that additional investment was that the current backlog would reduce by 30% – 50% within 2023/24, and the average wait time for applications should reduce to 150 days as a maximum.

I am concerned that based on subsequent updates at WMGB overall performance against these key outcomes continues to deteriorate rather than improve. This includes a 24% increase in the backlog of shotgun renewal applications since May this year (now standing at over 600), as part of an 8% overall increase in backlogged demand in the same period. If current trajectories are maintained, we will be approaching a full year for people to receive the service they need and rightly expect.

I recognise that significant additional workload requirements for the FLU have landed since January, but I have equally been clear and consistent in my expectation that the Force operates a service that is timely as well as safe. The intent of March’s decision notice has not changed, and I am concerned that delivery of those promised improvements is at risk.

The public have a reasonable expectation that their Police and Crime Commissioner can commission an efficient and effective service from West Mercia Police (WMP), with service standards that they would support.  We do not seem to have yet achieved that with the current performance of the FLU.

I would ask that an updated paper is brought to WMGB in October setting out the force’s actions that are being taken to address the concerns I have outlined and reassurance that the performance improvements within FLU will be delivered within the agreed time frames.

Yours sincerely,

John Campion

West Mercia Police and Crime Commissioner

23 minutes ago, Graham M said:

Think yourselves lucky you don't have to deal with West Mercia.

PCC letter to Chief Constable on firearms licensing performance 26 September 2023

Dear Pippa,

I write further to our discussion on the Firearms Licensing Unit (FLU) at last week’s West Mercia Governance Board (WMGB).

Having reflected I feel it is appropriate and necessary to formally set out my significant concerns around some elements of performance within the FLU and seek your reassurance that these concerns will be urgently addressed.

As I stated at WMGB public safety is my top priority, but with the additional resources I have made available to enact the operational activity you recommended, the public are entitled to expect an improvement in service without compromising safety. I felt at times that the discussion focused more on describing the problem, with insufficient emphasis on a clear route map towards sustained performance improvement, in line with the intent set out in my decision earlier this year to invest additional resources in the FLU. 

As Commissioner I have received sustained and significant concerns from members of the community expressing their concern and frustration on this topic. I have continued to raise these concerns on behalf of the public with West Mercia Police and have been clear in my appetite to see reduced backlogs and faster processing of cases. The nature and frequency of correspondence from residents, business owners, MPs and councillors demonstrates that the safe use of firearms by responsible owners remains a key element of both community life and the local economy in West Mercia. It is vitally important to them that the service level provided by the FLU reflects that. 

I am aware of the context to this matter in respect of West Mercia being the area with the highest volume of firearms licences in the country and the additional workload now associated with firearms licensing. I recognise the significant level of demand this places on the FLU. That is why I made £200,000 of additional resource available and indicated my support for further investment if it is required.

My initial investment decision in March 2023 was taken in full consultation with the Force with a view to improving performance and better meeting community needs. At the time, the average wait for the issue of a firearms licence and shotgun licence were 230 days and 251 days respectively. Renewals of firearms licences and shotgun licences were 86 days and 66 days respectively. The intent of that additional investment was that the current backlog would reduce by 30% – 50% within 2023/24, and the average wait time for applications should reduce to 150 days as a maximum.

I am concerned that based on subsequent updates at WMGB overall performance against these key outcomes continues to deteriorate rather than improve. This includes a 24% increase in the backlog of shotgun renewal applications since May this year (now standing at over 600), as part of an 8% overall increase in backlogged demand in the same period. If current trajectories are maintained, we will be approaching a full year for people to receive the service they need and rightly expect.

I recognise that significant additional workload requirements for the FLU have landed since January, but I have equally been clear and consistent in my expectation that the Force operates a service that is timely as well as safe. The intent of March’s decision notice has not changed, and I am concerned that delivery of those promised improvements is at risk.

The public have a reasonable expectation that their Police and Crime Commissioner can commission an efficient and effective service from West Mercia Police (WMP), with service standards that they would support.  We do not seem to have yet achieved that with the current performance of the FLU.

I would ask that an updated paper is brought to WMGB in October setting out the force’s actions that are being taken to address the concerns I have outlined and reassurance that the performance improvements within FLU will be delivered within the agreed time frames.

Yours sincerely,

John Campion

West Mercia Police and Crime Commissioner

Doesn't sound too bad compared to here - 86 and 66 days for an FAC and SGC renewals respectively compared to a straightforward (PCP addition) variation at 97 days and counting. At least the PCC sounds switched on.

• 3 weeks later...

I said that this would be fun.

As I'd had no response from the P&CC, I asked the Firearms Dep't that if this was going to drag on would they return my original cert' so I could at least buy some ammo. They didn't respond as quickly as they'd hoped but they were far quicker than the P&CC and in their reply asked me to confirm that If I hadn't received the certificate that had been done and dusted and posted on 10/11/2023 they would initiate lost or stolen action. I was able to confirm that I had not received it. I was also able to point out that following my query as to whether or not they had actually received my application as unusually my cheque had not been cashed, they replied on 20/11/2023 telling me that they had received it and it was awaiting processing. Oops! 

I can almost understand things taking a while if say I was applying for a new licence,  but renewal and variations shouldn't take long at all??

I saw something the other day saying Yorkshire police are doing variations on the day at the shooting show.

Took my ticket into Hindlip hall for a variation some 35 years ago, when I was under West Mercia. Saw Inspector Tolley and he did it there and then for me in less than half an hour.

Used to call in at Lloyd house now and then and Cathy Warren was the girl to see if you needed anything done at West Mid's.

I now hear that some police firearms licencing dept's won't even see you if you call in. 

What ever happened to the old helpful firearms dept's 

Edited by Graham M

• 1 month later...