How low does it have to go before the cold starts to bother dogs?

serrac

My lab sleeps in a room off the kitchen and it gets pretty Baltic in there just now when the heating goes off at night.
Was feeling guilty last night all cosy under my duvet so I went down and threw a fluffy blanket over him, but he was lying on top of it this morning.
(probably been humping it during the night...)
I let him out and he went straight to rolling about on the frosty grass - not something I'd want to do if I was feeling cold.
So just wondering about dog's tolerance for cold in general, what can they actually take before they start feeling miserable?

18 minutes ago, serrac said:

My lab sleeps in a room off the kitchen and it gets pretty Baltic in there just now when the heating goes off at night.
Was feeling guilty last night all cosy under my duvet so I went down and threw a fluffy blanket over him, but he was lying on top of it this morning.
I let him out and he went straight to rolling about on the frosty grass - not something I'd want to do if I was feeling cold.
So just wondering about dog's tolerance for cold in general, what can they actually take before they start feeling miserable?

I think it depends very much on what they are used to.  Indoor dogs that lie by the fire or by an AgA like salamanders will feel the cold much more easily than outdoor dogs as they develop and keep a thick double layered coat.

My labs have always been 'indoor', but are quite happy outdoors in very cold conditions moving and working provided they are dry.  I would never leave them in a cold car after shooting if even a bit damp.  Mine have always slept in an unheated but indoor area which can get quite cold (maybe in low 40's F, though not freezing) and is dry and draught free (or at least as draught free as an old house can be).

35 minutes ago, serrac said:

What temperature is this room? 

What do you class as Baltic? 

It depends entirely what they are used to. Mine are kennelled outside whatever the weather. They have individual insulated boxes and covered runs. The boxes are open during the day and they are closed in at night. I cannot think of any time I have judged it too cold to do anything else although the next step would be to kennel together.

They work in all temperatures here in Scotland, to no ill effect, that I wouldn’t expect a house dog to endure. My pals up with his dog on Sunday and that will go in the front porch as she is kept indoors but will be in the run during the day. Once my labs have their winter coat they are fine whatever the weather

6E9075F6-2A4F-41F5-9290-3A961720518E.jpeg

Stayed at a farm which had vizslas. Definitely not pets, hunting dogs trained to hunt and kill goats with extreme efficiency. They had a choice of sleeping on grass or concrete. With temperatures in single figures every night, I felt sorry for them, but they seemed happy enough. That said, I doubt the weak ones got very far in to life. 

17 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

What temperature is this room? 

What do you class as Baltic? 

I'm in central Scotland and it's getting down to -2C at night outside and probably a few degrees above that where he is.
So yes, describing it as Baltic is a bit hyperbolic 🙃

Thanks guys for all the comments.
And, beautiful looking dogs Dave 👍

4 hours ago, serrac said:

I'm in central Scotland and it's getting down to -2C at night outside and probably a few degrees above that where he is.
So yes, describing it as Baltic is a bit hyperbolic 🙃

Thanks guys for all the comments.
And, beautiful looking dogs Dave 👍

I imagine it’s over 7c inside your house … and the dog will be absolutely fine. 

E8E78396-7781-4153-97CC-529B4AB3A222.png

• 3 weeks later...

Over here we just had minus 30 deg Celsius for three days. Labs were in insulated kennels with doors. A heating pad on the floor of each. The pad is just warm to the touch. 
     As it warmed up the dogs came out to sit on the snow. They do like being out of the wind. 
     The photo shows how the house poodle keeps her butt warm .

70109D71-54C8-419B-A47F-102D1257EF8E.jpeg