How do you get water into gas pipes?

harrycatcat1

A water main failed and broke open then the huge release of water smashed open the adjacent gas main then filled it full of water.

This cuts off the gas and it can be forced up the gas service pipe, through the gas meter into the internal pipework of the house where it is a hell of a job to remove.

It is a very difficult to get all the water out of the gas main and it usually gathers at all the low point. All the affected houses have to have the gas turned off 

15 minutes ago, fern01 said:

A water main failed and broke open then the huge release of water smashed open the adjacent gas main then filled it full of water.

This cuts off the gas and it can be forced up the gas service pipe, through the gas meter into the internal pipework of the house where it is a hell of a job to remove.

It is a very difficult to get all the water out of the gas main and it usually gathers at all the low point. All the affected houses have to have the gas turned off 

Hello, the water main must have been at a very high pressure , I know when we have tapped into the mains pipe when putting on a new supply if it went wrong and blew the plug out the water spout can reach very high, 

14 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

This is where I live. Water main burst by the pub, some but not all gas pipes flooded. Cadant are tight lipped about it and 

Edited by Centrepin
Phone faulty can't complete

Blummìn phone going faulty, I just can't get on with modern technology, this phone is only about 2 or 3 months old. Baffles me.

Anyway.....Just had a visit from SY Mayor on a fact finding mission....

I told him Cadant and Yorkshire water are working hard up to 2 hours a day to fix it but road works and road closures are there 24/7.

My neighbour has had her gas pipes pumped out several times and they just re flood. 7 days now, no heat for her or the kiddies. I offered to cook but she has electric cooker. I'm just 5 doors away and totally unaffected.

It seems random on which pipes or at least to me it does.

Cadant say nothing and Yorkshire water just seem to turn up and pump a random pipe then go. Lots and lots of vans and small utility lorries but very few actual workers. Lots of exceptionally clean PPE about so that means, onlookers, jobsworths and "armchair gaffers" visiting.

10 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

nyway.....Just had a visit from SY Mayor on a fact finding mission....

I told him Cadant and Yorkshire water are working hard up to 2 hours a day to fix it but road works and road closures are there 24/7

That's really not good enough,  they should be only having 2hrs off, doing everything they can to solve the problem. 

Before Natural Gas, the old 'Town Gas' was full of water. All domestic gas pipe installations had 'syphon' legs at various points along the pipe run. The Gas would push the water along the pipe, until it reached the syphon leg. The gas pressure at the appliance would drop. The water would then run back and the gas would resume full power. This would cause the gas flames on appliances to rise and fall. I recall going to one house where this was happening, to drain the syphon legs of water. The old dear living there told me that someone had been out to sort this problem before. They had told her that she was now getting gas from the North Sea and the rise and fall of the gas flame was due to the tide coming in and out   !   😄

5 hours ago, Westley said:

Before Natural Gas, the old 'Town Gas' was full of water. All domestic gas pipe installations had 'syphon' legs at various points along the pipe run. The Gas would push the water along the pipe, until it reached the syphon leg. The gas pressure at the appliance would drop. The water would then run back and the gas would resume full power. This would cause the gas flames on appliances to rise and fall. I recall going to one house where this was happening, to drain the syphon legs of water. The old dear living there told me that someone had been out to sort this problem before. They had told her that she was now getting gas from the North Sea and the rise and fall of the gas flame was due to the tide coming in and out   !   😄

There is a cast iron marker for the gas syphon a few 100 yards from my house.  It is still used from time to time.  My friend who lives the last house on the 'end' of the pipe there gets water caused fluctuations in the gas rings flames - and call to get the syphon emptied.