Setting up a TV elsewhere in house.

MikeT-23

Here's the situation:

Father-in-law has terminal cancer, and after having a fall last week is now confined to a hospital bed set up in a bedroom on the 1st floor of his house. Those with the knowledge suggest he stays there 'cos if he goes to hospital for a suspected broken hip (he's two weeks shy of 90 years old), he won't come out.

So, he's confined to an upstairs bedroom and would like access to a TV, especially Sky for the sport. My wife and I don't place a lot of importance on a TV in our own house, so have no knowledge on the best way to set this up for him. He has Sky TV downstairs in the main room, and they have a wee telly in the kitchen supplied by an aerial feed, but no aerial sockets upstairs. I'm told their Wi-Fi connection in the room he's now in is good, if that might make a difference.

What options might there be for getting Sky (or any) TV set up for him without getting a second Sky box? There's a spare small TV elsewhere in the house that could be moved in to that room, and the aerial feed at the back of the house could maybe be split and a cable fed through his room's window, but given this a solution to a short-term problem (we're told weeks, not months), we're not looking for permanent fixes or long-term contracts.

Plus, room at the back is north-facing, if that might have any bearing on the effectiveness of portable aerials.

Thanking you in advance.

Try SKY Q, i was against it for ages but then finally decided to go with it, as long as you have internet and smart tv's you should be able to get sky on the main tv and you can have a second remote to connect your smart tv in the bedroom to it. sounds complicated but its really not. 

Edited by peck

If the Wi-Fi is good then simply buy an Amazon fire stick for around £35 plug this into the back of the television and set it up to the broad band. Don’t be tempted with sky as the minimum contracts are 12 months.

we have just got rid of sky after around 16 years and replaced it with fire sticks and better broadband and we are now £130 per month better off. If you go this way try to get a 4K version as it has better speed and voice control 

chairman

Sky Stream may be your answer - you get a box - not a TV and I am sure if you spoke with Sky they would sort you out.

Another option would be as @peck said above - if the downstairs is already a Sky Q box you can add on a secondary box - you see them advertised on ebay but I have heard that you will have great difficulty in getting second owner devices paired up to a box - the trouble is for this service you pay extra. 

The third one is Sky GO - https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-go-what-do-you-need-help-with

You would need to see what 3rd party devices are compatible with it - I say Apple TV but they are not cheap....plus an apple subscription - although I have found that Apple has some good programmes

To be honest if he is the only one in then house you may as well get some pre terminated sky extension cable and just run that through a hole in the roof and floor as a temporary measure then just move the whole box upstairs. 

there is always the option of a streaming device  bbc and the like that will run from wifi  

if the dish has a spare port again a pre terminated cable through a window and into a feeesat box  

if it’s just terrestrial I have heard good things about the new indoor paper thin aerials