Travel money (Euro)

steve_b_wales

3 minutes ago, macca2017 said:

if you are transferring money use wise.com

Thanks. The Euro's usually are paid in cash to the hotel on my arrival. Should something happen and I can't go, then I don't lose anymore other than the flight/s that are already paid for. I will look into wise.com though. Thanks.

38 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Ask your own bank

Surely you can’t be serious? 😂

If you need cash then I believe it’s possible to pre-order at the po at a preferential rate, otherwise Monzo or Revolut for spending abroad.

Have to say though, carrying large amounts of cash to holiday destinations sounds like absolutely terrible personal security advice & any comeback you may have on the hotel is gone.

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Surely you can’t be serious? 😂

If you need cash then I believe it’s possible to pre-order at the po at a preferential rate, otherwise Monzo or Revolut for spending abroad.

Have to say though, carrying large amounts of cash to holiday destinations sounds like absolutely terrible personal security advice & any comeback you may have on the hotel is gone.

The 'large amount of cash' I take is kept very close to my person while at the UK airport, and as soon as I get to the hotel reception, it get's handed over. Most people have to pay a deposit for their vacation, but as returning guests (many times) we don't have to do this.

1 hour ago, djrwood said:

Get a Revolut card. You get good exchange rates without fees and also cash back on the spending 

I only need euro's to pay for our accomodation etc, we very rarely spend while there, as we are all inclusive and have no need to buy anything, apart from a few fridge magnets and keyrings which are very cheap anyway.

17 minutes ago, oowee said:

I hate these tax dodging cash payments. Unfortunately it's also common place with South Africa. 

'Tax dodging cash payments'? That's a bit strong and I'm sure that the hotel (part of a large legitimate chain) wouldn't be happy to be accused of this. The 'cash payment' is only allowed to a few VIP guests like my wife and myself, and an official receipt is given to me after payment is made. 

I've decided to purchase them from The Currency Club. They offered a better rate, which means that I save £13:00, and also get free delivery. I'm also getting $50 USD to pay the visa entry fee at Hurghada airport.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

Edited by steve_b_wales

UPDATE:

This morning, I ordered 1100 Euro and 50 USD from The Currency Club, and paid them online. This afternoon, I received an email from HSBC with regard to 'fraudelent Activity' on my account. I contacted them (waiting 35 minutes to get connected) then a further 20 minutes talking to a 'foreign' person regarding the payment, which they have put a stop on until further clarification'. I understand the reason for questioning large transactions, and indeed, many years ago, HSBC saved me £800 when someone in S. Africa tried to buy diamonds using my debit card! Anyway, I answered numerous questions - security etc - and why I used The Currency Club. I explained that using them for this one transaction saved me £13:00 compared to the likes of the Post Office, Tesco etc. The person on the other end of the phone said that there was no email address or telephone number to contact them should things go wrong. He checked The Currency Club and agreed that they were legitimate, but as there wasn't an email address and/or telephone number, HSBC would have a problem recouping the money should things go wrong. I replied that having an email address and/or a telephone number doesn't make a company any more legitimate. Anyway, HSBC said that they were not going to release the payment to them and that I will get it refunded to my bank account, which they've done. I'm bloody annoyed that HSBC will not release MY money to a legitimate company, even after I stated on the telephone that I wish this payment to go ahead! In the new year, HSBC can go for a long walk as I will be cancelling my bank account and ISA's with them. I intend setting up with the co op bank! :mad:

42 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I intend setting up with the co op bank! 

No not the co op, they have to be the biggest anti shooting bank in the UK

Edit - So are HSBC come to think of it, weren't they the bank that closed RFDs bank accounts with no warning?

Edited by Newbie to this

9 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

No not the co op, they have to be the biggest anti shooting bank in the UK

Edit - So are HSBC come to think of it, weren't they the bank that closed RFDs bank accounts with no warning?

Not too sure about the above banks, but I only leave enough money in my account to cover bills etc. My savings (?😀) ar elsewhere.

I've just checked with my local Ramsdens, and to buy the Euros and Dollars (at todays rate) will cost me a 'massive' £1:69 more! I'm popping down to their shop at mid day tomorrow so see what the rate/s are, but will more than likely get the money there.

2 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

I can appreciate your frustration Steve, but I can also agree with HSBC, I would never enter into a currency transaction without a verified email addy and a verified telephone number.
Thats a lot of money to risk to save £13.00.

I agree, but believe it or not, I've just come off the phone to the currency club (my wife found the number) so what the hell were on about, I don't know. I informed them what HSBC are refusing to do, but he didn't seem too concerned.

On 19/12/2022 at 16:23, steve_b_wales said:

I agree, but believe it or not, I've just come off the phone to the currency club (my wife found the number) so what the hell were on about, I don't know. I informed them what HSBC are refusing to do, but he didn't seem too concerned.

Final update: I went to my local Ramsden's this morning, after speaking to a staff member yesterday. I asked for 11 Euro, but the staff member suggested that if I paid £20 more, I would get an extra 15 Euro. She also said that online ordering gets you a better rate (she gave me the online rate today) so I'm happy. I also received an email from The Currency Club regarding the issue I had with HSBC. My next lot of Euro's will be from Ramsdens.

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up with this thread...I'll spare you some kind of cheap joke about you ordering Forex from a fish and chip restaurant...

On 16/12/2022 at 09:37, steve_b_wales said:

'm also getting $50 USD to pay the visa entry fee at Hurghada airport.

Bingo!  Hurghada was literally the first place that came to mind when I thought about the unwise-ness of carrying large amounts of cash with me, especially when poorly-paid staff at the hotel know you'll be turning up with lots of cash.

Once again, please rethink this.  It's mind-bendingly poor personal security.

9 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Just caught up with this thread...I'll spare you some kind of cheap joke about you ordering Forex from a fish and chip restaurant...

Bingo!  Hurghada was literally the first place that came to mind when I thought about the unwise-ness of carrying large amounts of cash with me, especially when poorly-paid staff at the hotel know you'll be turning up with lots of cash.

Once again, please rethink this.  It's mind-bendingly poor personal security.

I would echo this and look to get a travel money card. Money supermarket will list a few.

For Africa I have to take cash for tips and cartridges but I am now paying upfront for the shooting and accommodation to reduce the currency I carry. Even then I have a money pouch but I make sure it goes into the safe at the other end as soon as i arrive.