Shotgun for life

grantwal

Hi guys so I’m looking to upgrade my shotgun to something I can realistically keep for the rest of my life. Around 80% or my shooting is clay pigeons the rest is a mixture of vermin and pheasant shooting. I’ve been looking at a Miroku mk38 grade 5 currently. Is there any other guns people would suggest I look at too my budget is no more then £3500. Also I’m a left handed shot but have always bought a right handed gun as I can never find a left handed one, but since I’m looking to get a gun for life does it make much of a difference having a left handed gun? Thank you 

Edited by grantwal
Missed out text

If you intend to really make this purchase a "Gun for Life" then get someone who you trust to watch you shoot.

If you are a left hooker, get a left handed gun!

Spending money for a "keeper" can make sense, but not if you don't make full use of the opportunity to get something worth keeping. 

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

If you intend to really make this purchase a "Gun for Life" then get someone who you trust to watch you shoot.

If you are a left hooker, get a left handed gun!

Spending money for a "keeper" can make sense, but not if you don't make full use of the opportunity to get something worth keeping. 

Thanks I just struggle to find left handed guns in my area. I will make sure I get a left handed one 

At your budget virtually any properly cared for gun will outlast you and probably your children. There are lefty guns available from Beretta, Blaser, CG, Browning etc. The dear old MK38s are well thought of by their aficionados but they're getting rarer on the clay courses and are certainly not the only fish in the sea.

I took a guy that I had taught to shoot to buy his first and only gun, a Gd. 5 MK38. He was left handed too. He tried 4 left handed guns, but the best fitting of all the guns he tried was a right handed version ? There was no cast on the gun and, of course no palm swell. The only drawback being, he had a total of 3 new stocks, all fitted under warranty, before he got one that lasted more than 3 weeks  ! I have an MK 38 and a ProSport and my Grandson, who is left handed, shoots them both equally as well. Of corse he does not get the benefit of the palm swell on the ProSport. I have recently got rid of a Beretta 694, nice gun but just not for me. I would suggest you try as many different guns as possible before making your final choice.

30 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I am told...via the internet...that the higher the grade of wood on a Miroku the more likely it is to split at a later date?

That is how most of us look at the subject, of course you have to be sort of lucky that it goes south during any warranty period!

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

I am told...via the internet...that the higher the grade of wood on a Miroku the more likely it is to split at a later date?

The fancier the wood the more it is prone to cracking in my experience. 
The stock of my Daytona is stunning wood, but only cracked because the stock hadn’t been properly tightened to the action. 
I gave it to Marcus of the Simpson Brothers ( it wasn’t bought from him ) following one of his many trips up here and his man did a fantastic job, which is solid and undetectable. 👍

33 minutes ago, Scully said:

The fancier the wood the more it is prone to cracking in my experience. 
The stock of my Daytona is stunning wood, but only cracked because the stock hadn’t been properly tightened to the action. 
I gave it to Marcus of the Simpson Brothers ( it wasn’t bought from him ) following one of his many trips up here and his man did a fantastic job, which is solid and undetectable. 👍

That would be his Brother Matt then!

4 hours ago, Westley said:

I took a guy that I had taught to shoot to buy his first and only gun, a Gd. 5 MK38. He was left handed too. He tried 4 left handed guns, but the best fitting of all the guns he tried was a right handed version ? There was no cast on the gun and, of course no palm swell. The only drawback being, he had a total of 3 new stocks, all fitted under warranty, before he got one that lasted more than 3 weeks  ! I have an MK 38 and a ProSport and my Grandson, who is left handed, shoots them both equally as well. Of corse he does not get the benefit of the palm swell on the ProSport. I have recently got rid of a Beretta 694, nice gun but just not for me. I would suggest you try as many different guns as possible before making your final choice.

Just out of interest, I am a left-shouldered shooter.  I am left-handed, with a left master eye, and use a team of 4 Mirokus for trap and game shooting.  All 4 are standard "out-of-the-box" right-handers !  Been shooting right handers since 1962 !!

Could I shoot better with a  left handed gun ? We will never know, as I am perfectly happy with what I use and what they deliver for me !!

11 hours ago, Westley said:

I shoot with a leftie pal, he uses both right and left handed guns to good effect.

I shoot lefthanded and I can miss with a left or right handed gun in equal measures😃

However, I do find an over/under with a slight right hand cast is ok and can shoot it no problem really.

Not so a side by side which I need to get ‘cast on’ if I am to be any good with it.

Just my take on it.

OB