Dreams and Wishes

6.5x55SE

Due to COVID amongst other things out of our control it took Conor and myself three years to finally gain membership to a Club i thought would offer a chance of Dream/Wish he had. Late September we had our first flight with two committee members as we had to have two flights signed off. What a start for Conor five shots he bagged three Greylag two Teal. October flight we saw our first Pink's and now we was signed off. With the help of various members one of which i will be internally grateful for all his help we had our first Pink's and late November early December near misses with Conor's Dream. First morning of our Christmas break Conor achieved more first shooting Pink's with two guns he had never shot at Pink's before and managed the Clubs four Goose bag limit. Today 2nd January was to our first flight of the new year due to no Sunday shooting and the last of our Christmas break. Another hour and forty five minutes journey had us at our choosen spot. With only a handful of Geese seen things looked very bleak when i called a single followed by another. We both shot our first Pink's of 2023 whilst on the phone to my wife Conor nudged me three Pink's heading our way off the quickly called the Geese sure enough on they came seeing Conor kill his first i duely missed Conor killed his Second and thankfully my second shot connected. As Conor's Dog retrieved my Goose the Club Chairman phoned me Happy New Year etc Conor nudged me and pointed at a single Goose telling the Chairman this will get noisy as I'll be calling the goose. Praying hoping Conor had not heard the noise this goose was making a it flew straight at i realised he had picked my 20 up ( a gun he had never even shot at a goose with) i started to get nervous after what seemed to happen in slow motion Conor PLEASE kill this goose Bang a tail feather flew oh no Bang head back the Goose was well and truly stuffed before it hit the ground Conor went absolutely ballistic shouting for joy encouraging his dog to retrieve the goose from across a reedy wide dyke I've done I've done and with your 20 as he took the goose from his dog they both ran to i can't believe it i can't believe the Club said what's going on mate what's all the noise. Conor just shot a four Goose bag limit the last being his Dream/Wish a European Whitefront. So a big thank you for the Club allowing us to join and to those of the members that have given us help and tips 🤝👍 as they say " you get out what you put in " and believe me the hours we have spent driving fact finding etc has been worth every minute and every mile. Sorry PW members due to respect of the Club and Club Members the pictures unfortunately won't be posted but rest assured all those that have helped Conor achieve his Dream/Wish have been sent pictures 👍

1 hour ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Due to COVID amongst other things out of our control it took Conor and myself three years to finally gain membership to a Club i thought would offer a chance of Dream/Wish he had. Late September we had our first flight with two committee members as we had to have two flights signed off. What a start for Conor five shots he bagged three Greylag two Teal. October flight we saw our first Pink's and now we was signed off. With the help of various members one of which i will be internally grateful for all his help we had our first Pink's and late November early December near misses with Conor's Dream. First morning of our Christmas break Conor achieved more first shooting Pink's with two guns he had never shot at Pink's before and managed the Clubs four Goose bag limit. Today 2nd January was to our first flight of the new year due to no Sunday shooting and the last of our Christmas break. Another hour and forty five minutes journey had us at our choosen spot. With only a handful of Geese seen things looked very bleak when i called a single followed by another. We both shot our first Pink's of 2023 whilst on the phone to my wife Conor nudged me three Pink's heading our way off the quickly called the Geese sure enough on they came seeing Conor kill his first i duely missed Conor killed his Second and thankfully my second shot connected. As Conor's Dog retrieved my Goose the Club Chairman phoned me Happy New Year etc Conor nudged me and pointed at a single Goose telling the Chairman this will get noisy as I'll be calling the goose. Praying hoping Conor had not heard the noise this goose was making a it flew straight at i realised he had picked my 20 up ( a gun he had never even shot at a goose with) i started to get nervous after what seemed to happen in slow motion Conor PLEASE kill this goose Bang a tail feather flew oh no Bang head back the Goose was well and truly stuffed before it hit the ground Conor went absolutely ballistic shouting for joy encouraging his dog to retrieve the goose from across a reedy wide dyke I've done I've done and with your 20 as he took the goose from his dog they both ran to i can't believe it i can't believe the Club said what's going on mate what's all the noise. Conor just shot a four Goose bag limit the last being his Dream/Wish a European Whitefront. So a big thank you for the Club allowing us to join and to those of the members that have given us help and tips 🤝👍 as they say " you get out what you put in " and believe me the hours we have spent driving fact finding etc has been worth every minute and every mile. Sorry PW members due to respect of the Club and Club Members the pictures unfortunately won't be posted but rest assured all those that have helped Conor achieve his Dream/Wish have been sent pictures 👍

Very well done to all concerned, that's what it's all about, working together 👏👏

Thank you all for your very kind comments 👍 I have been very very lucky in my shooting career and each season with new restrictions it gets harder to try and give the likes of Conor the chances to achieve ambitions i had. I think the next and only one on the list ( what's legal today ) is a Goldeneye Duck we pray for hard weather without a ban 🤗

That is a superb achivement to get a W / F in his first season with a new club and at such a young tender age in the bargain , that young man have possibly shot more geese than a lot of vintage fowlers three times his age and as you rightly say , you have to put the workload and hours in to achieve your goals .

Good luck in securing a Golden Eye , as you rightly say , around our way the weather need to be hard , the problem is nowadays if it is to hard then the restraints come into play , still I recon he have got the harder one of the two and I am sure a G / E will soon be added to his long list .:drinks:

John thank you also one of his close run flights was where you suggested 20 yrd was all they needed to come. Again thank you for your advice/tip 🤝👍

holloway. Thank you 👍 Conor came down for his Meal said Shell ( my wife's name) guess what she replied don't tell me you are not hungry No I'm starving i shot 3 Pink's and a Whitefront Yeeeeha I've shot a Whitefront I'm so pleased to see and hear Conor realising just how lucky he is to have achieved so much so quickly in this day and age.

3 minutes ago, edenman said:

If you don’t mind travelling there is plenty of goldeneye on the east coast of Scotland!

Thank you 👍 That definitely is another thing I'd like to share with Conor a trip to Scotland i have very fond memories of going to various places in Scotland exchanging a bottle for some fantastic flights 👍

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gerry78 said:

Lovely write up 6x5x55 glad to see younger generation enjoying the sport 👍

Happy New Year to you Gerry 🤝 Thank you Conor is still buzzing from his achievement. Another 3am start tomorrow morning searching for more enjoyment sights and sounds a goose would be a great bonus 👍

Edited by 6.5x55SE

5 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Happy New Year to you Gerry 🤝 Thank you Conor is still buzzing from his achievement. Another 3am start tomorrow morning searching for more enjoyment sights and sounds a goose would be a great bonus 👍

Good luck for tomorrow and be prepared for heavy rain , strong wind and going by tonights weather it is certainly turning colder , Saturday morning's might be a bit more busy with fowlers than the evenings during the week as again tonight I was the only one down on the marsh , although I went on my own ones there was no one on the club marshes which are next door , mind you , I can't say I blame them as it was blowing half a gale and the cold wind went through you , haven't heard the geese over my side for a week or more but one or two duck are now using the marshes and I was rewarded for my efforts with one hard earnt hen Wigeon , and without my dog I wouldnt had got that as he saw it drop out on the next marsh although I did know it was on the way down , so one Wigeon don't seem a lot for what you have to do to venture out in all conditions but the bag don't really count , if it's in your blood then you have to have to be in it to win it and you just put the rough conditions behind you , mind you , I will turn down your kind invitation to join up with you at that unearthly hour you will be turning out , but my thoughts will be with you when I hear some shooting when I take my dog for his run a little after 7 am , GOOD LUCK and whatever you get to put in the bag then you certainly deserve it .:good: 

6 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Happy New Year my friend to you and Conor the sighs and sounds can be magical I hope yous get a shot if not just being out is all that matters good luck 🤞 

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Good luck for tomorrow and be prepared for heavy rain , strong wind and going by tonights weather it is certainly turning colder , Saturday morning's might be a bit more busy with fowlers than the evenings during the week as again tonight I was the only one down on the marsh , although I went on my own ones there was no one on the club marshes which are next door , mind you , I can't say I blame them as it was blowing half a gale and the cold wind went through you , haven't heard the geese over my side for a week or more but one or two duck are now using the marshes and I was rewarded for my efforts with one hard earnt hen Wigeon , and without my dog I wouldnt had got that as he saw it drop out on the next marsh although I did know it was on the way down , so one Wigeon don't seem a lot for what you have to do to venture out in all conditions but the bag don't really count , if it's in your blood then you have to have to be in it to win it and you just put the rough conditions behind you , mind you , I will turn down your kind invitation to join up with you at that unearthly hour you will be turning out , but my thoughts will be with you when I hear some shooting when I take my dog for his run a little after 7 am , GOOD LUCK and whatever you get to put in the bag then you certainly deserve it .:good: 

Thank you John 🤝 I gave Conor the choice hour and half more in bed then go for foreshore Pink's or early rise long drive. Easy choice as we have a chance of WF after the long drive and I'd love us both to manage a WF from the same group. Conor's choice 🙏🤞

42 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Happy New Year my friend to you and Conor the sighs and sounds can be magical I hope yous get a shot if not just being out is all that matters good luck 🤞 

Thanks again Gerry 👍