Lofted Flapper

Maccarjm

I have seen a previous post about this from way back in 2017, but was hoping to get some more up to date thoughts on the topic

Has/ does anyone loft a flapper in the trees when they go roost shooting. Seems like it would be a brilliant way to focus the incoming birds on a specific location of the wood.

Only issue in my head would be the weight of the flapper and dead bird at 30ft ! (would run a cable extension down from flapper to battery on floor)

Lofting static Pigeons up a tree at 30 ft is hard enough in itself , lofting  a flapper at 30 ft could be far to much like hard work ,and a certain amount of danger involved in trying to get it up there in the first place , how many times do you see Pigeons flapping on the top of tree branches ? , maybe a help , but the work involved I would leave well alone .

Having said that I dare say someone had tried it and you do see magnets going around the top of the tents at the various game fairs , although they are only about 10 ft high and they are to draw the public in and not the Pigeons .:good: 

Edited by marsh man

I was doing this over 40 years ago, to some great effect. I used the method on a line of oak trees situated between several surrounding woods where organised roost shooting was taking place, over a period of 6 Saturdays. Birds having been shot at in all of the woods, would see the 'movement' of the flapper and come straight in, often from 1/2 mile or more away. I used home made aluminium poles and a WAGBI/SEEMARK dead bird flapper, operated by a cord. It was a bit of a faff erecting it, but once up it was brilliant. It really did work and I got a lot of satisfaction from pulling pigeons in from great distances. This was before any of the electrical devices were being made commercially, either flappers or magnets. I gave the whole set up to someone off this Forum, I don't know if they have used it  ?

I would add that I was a lot younger then and pulling birds was not such a challenge  !

Edited by Westley

10 minutes ago, Westley said:

I was doing this over 40 years ago, to some great effect. I used the method on a line of oak trees situated between several surrounding woods where organised roost shooting was taking place, over a period of 6 Saturdays. Birds having been shot at in all of the woods, would see the 'movement' of the flapper and come straight in, often from 1/2 mile or more away. I used home made aluminium poles and a WAGBI/SEEMARK dead bird flapper, operated by a cord. It was a bit of a faff erecting it, but once up it was brilliant. It really did work and I got a lot of satisfaction from pulling pigeons in from great distances. This was before any of the electrical devices were being made commercially, either flappers or magnets. I gave the whole set up to someone off this Forum, I don't know if they have used it  ?

I would add that I was a lot younger then and pulling birds was not such a challenge  !

yes, I found it easier to pull the birds when I was younger. :whistling:

I think that it was Ditchie who said that he used a manual flapper up against an ivy clad tree to good effect.

Before anyone comments further, that`s not a euphemism for any dirty deeds with fat Sarah in his past. (I don`t think:whistling:).

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

I think that it was Ditchie who said that he used a manual flapper up against an ivy clad tree to good effect.

Before anyone comments further, that`s not a euphemism for any dirty deeds with fat Sarah in his past. (I don`t think).

OB

I’m sure he will be along shortly.

"manual flapper up against an ivy clad tree". :lol:

16 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

That must have been his Spanish boyfriend!     

it could have been a mechanical vagina that he built in his shed and then strapped it to the ivy clad tree, we all know he liked to dabble, gawd knows what he used for the labia minora. :w00t:

8 hours ago, Maccarjm said:

I have seen a previous post about this from way back in 2017, but was hoping to get some more up to date thoughts on the topic

Has/ does anyone loft a flapper in the trees when they go roost shooting. Seems like it would be a brilliant way to focus the incoming birds on a specific location of the wood.

Only issue in my head would be the weight of the flapper and dead bird at 30ft ! (would run a cable extension down from flapper to battery on floor)

Now look what you've started  ! I did try the electric flapper, which I also gave away. Problem is power drop in the 30 foot cable. You need very heavy cable to avoid the flapper going too slow, otherwise you are better off with a Silo-sock flapper, without a battery, just reliant on the wind to provide movement. Try experimenting with cable lengths to find the maximum length possible without voltage drop, you may be able to get 3 or 4 poles and the flapper up and then tape the battery to pole 5as you push the whole assembly up the tree. I had wondered if one of those kite bird scarers would work if the 'bird' was to become a pigeon  ?

8 hours ago, Westley said:

After a lazy afternoon out in the garden centre I was eager to get back home and have a nice cuppa while catching up on the antics of P W , while digesting the above post I was thinking I was on the wrong forum and somehow got on one of those naughty ones that have more birds in the flesh than Bernard Mathews have leading up to Christmas , Words like erecting , satisfaction and pulling birds are not words normally assosiated with sticking a flapper 30ft up a lavitree ,ops , sorry I meant dead Elm tree :lol:

1 hour ago, Maccarjm said:

I have ordered some 20 AWG cable, will report back when I give it a go. ( months time or so)

Hopefully the hassle of getting it up there will be worth the reward

The secret of success is picking a suitable tree. The particular oak that I used had a sturdy branch at 90 ° to the trunk and about 18 feet up. I would only put 3 poles together with the flapper, then use that branch to support the poles whilst I added 1 pole at a time, and then used other branches for support until the flapper was clear of the top of the tree. The operating cord could occasionally get tangled but I overcame that too. If you are using cable  it won't be an issue. I NEVER tried to raise more than 3 poles to begin with.

On 08/01/2023 at 08:43, Maccarjm said:

30ft isn't enough, good trees are 60ft plus. I did manage to park a dead bird on top of a tree once, worked well! Doing it to order is out of my league!

1 hour ago, kitchrat said:

30ft isn't enough, good trees are 60ft plus. I did manage to park a dead bird on top of a tree once, worked well! Doing it to order is out of my league!

BUT, it doesn't need to be at the top. As long as birds can see it from their flightllines they will be pulled in. It is the movement that works, exactly the same way a flapper works on the ground. If you watch pigeons, and I do, from my lounge window, they do not go for the tops of the trees, more the middle.