Bedding

Rob85

Just looking for some opinions on where to go with this...

I have both my dogs kenneled outside in a shared kennel, they both have one of the plastic kidney shaped beds and I chuck some bedding in them for them, been using up some old bedsheets and duvet covers etc. But for some reason, every other day I come outside and one of the dogs has dragged the bedding out into the kennel so it ends up either getting rained on or peed on. It's been happening on and off for years with my old dog and the late cocker, now the new lab is there with the older dog its happening all the damn time.

Any pointers on where to go with this? I'm at the point of just saying sod it they mustn't want any bedding so they can sleep on the plastic. But its bad enough with the cuddly doggie brigade around here that yap about dogs being kept outside let alone without a blanket.

My dogs are kennelled outside whatever the weather. I use metal kennel boxes and the runs are roofed and have sides. I don’t use any bedding I just have sheets of ply over the top of the kennel floor. Even that gets dragged out into the run by the pup. At night the kennel boxes are closed in so they are plenty warm enough. Frankly I don’t care what anyone else thinks the dogs are in good shape and condition and they are happy being warm and dry enough. They are also hardy enough to face whatever the Scottish weather throws at then when working on the hill or shore.

1 hour ago, Krico woodcock said:

Heavy duty, heavy  rubber mat, cut the right dimensions for box. They won't draw it out.. all they need. 

That’s cow mat 👍🏻 

Thick stuff and raises them up. 

Guy Wallace notes in his book, and I agree with him, a lot of better people put in dogs kennel just gets wet, then you end up with a dog laying in wet bedding all night, which makes them cold. 

He reckons dogs on wood board do well as the wood dries out and then the dog warms up and is warm and dry. 

Best thing I reckon is ensure dogs are totally dry before going into the kennel, then don’t bother is most bedding. 

If I had to have something, I’d have a kennel entrance with a high lip, and have shavings or similar so the dog isn’t able to drag it out, and the lip stops it all blowing out. 

I thought it may have been to do with wet bedding but I've seen it dragged out totally dry. I haven't caught them in the act yet but I did have an inkling that it may be the older dog dragging it all out as sometimes I've looked out and seen she has pushed the young dog out of the kennel into the run and won't let her back in by barking at her and standing in her way.

Hard not to lose the rag when I see the young dog lying outside on the ground. If money/space allowed I would have separate kennels for them but its just not feasible. Think I may look into this rubber matting stuff, the bedding isn't for heat really as when it's really cold I put an electric radiator in with them to keep it toastie 

8 hours ago, Rob85 said:

I thought it may have been to do with wet bedding but I've seen it dragged out totally dry. I haven't caught them in the act yet but I did have an inkling that it may be the older dog dragging it all out as sometimes I've looked out and seen she has pushed the young dog out of the kennel into the run and won't let her back in by barking at her and standing in her way.

Hard not to lose the rag when I see the young dog lying outside on the ground. If money/space allowed I would have separate kennels for them but its just not feasible. Think I may look into this rubber matting stuff, the bedding isn't for heat really as when it's really cold I put an electric radiator in with them to keep it toastie 

They just drag it outside to lie on as they have got familiar with it. My pups are crate trained inside first on vetbed. This is then put in the kennel when they are moved out. When they want to lie outside in the run they drag the vetbed out to lie on. Helps them feel secure. After a few weeks I remove the vetbed which is usually all but useless by then.

Most dogs drag their bedding out as its about the only interesting thing in the kennel. Straw is a good bedding material as is hard to drag out and is great for drying and getting mud off dogs, is a good Insulater in cold weather and can be disposed of/burnt when needing a change. It does require some work to regularly clean out though. 

At the end of the day a dog should ideally be kept where the temperature doesn't drop much below 10°c and imo is best in the house where possible. 

Mine are the same one of them drags the blankets out where they get wet , They have a rubber horse mat and im not worried about them as there's no bald patches or anything where  they a laying on it . My wife worry's about them and got them a bag of tea bag paper think it was only £8 for the bale but it ended blowing about the garden when they scratched it out 

5 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

Mine are the same one of them drags the blankets out where they get wet , They have a rubber horse mat and im not worried about them as there's no bald patches or anything where  they a laying on it . My wife worry's about them and got them a bag of tea bag paper think it was only £8 for the bale but it ended blowing about the garden when they scratched it out 

Like I said above, you can't really beat staw, cheap and effective. 

7 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Most dogs drag their bedding out as its about the only interesting thing in the kennel. Straw is a good bedding material as is hard to drag out and is great for drying and getting mud off dogs, is a good Insulater in cold weather and can be disposed of/burnt when needing a change. It does require some work to regularly clean out though. 

At the end of the day a dog should ideally be kept where the temperature doesn't drop much below 10°c and imo is best in the house where possible. 

Seriously??? A working dog?.. there is stuff u can get called wax paper bedding.  Its shredded paper but its waxed, doesn't take moisture,  ment to be good stuff if you can get it..

23 minutes ago, Krico woodcock said:

Seriously??? A working dog?.. there is stuff u can get called wax paper bedding.  Its shredded paper but its waxed, doesn't take moisture,  ment to be good stuff if you can get it..

Yes seriously, obviously it needs regular maintenance but it's brilliant if a good kennel routine is maintained. 

That said my dogs are kept indoors and imo there's no better place if possible. 

Well thanks to the council giving us a blue bin (Land fill ) half the size of the rest by the time i have cleaned out the ferrets and dogs my bins full , it was fine whilst i was working i took the household waste to work in black bags and put it in skips there . But now i put the animal waste black bags in the bottom of the bin and stand on top of the house hold waste bags on top of it LOL . So i try not to use anything bulky as ive a problem disposing of it  

8 hours ago, Bigbob said:

Well thanks to the council giving us a blue bin (Land fill ) half the size of the rest by the time i have cleaned out the ferrets and dogs my bins full , it was fine whilst i was working i took the household waste to work in black bags and put it in skips there . But now i put the animal waste black bags in the bottom of the bin and stand on top of the house hold waste bags on top of it LOL . So i try not to use anything bulky as ive a problem disposing of it  

Yeah I know what you mean, if you've got a spot in the garden you can burn it, which I used to do many years ago in an old barrel. 

11 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Yeah I know what you mean, if you've got a spot in the garden you can burn it, which I used to do many years ago in an old barrel. 

Aye i ask to borrow my sons incinerator to burn the shavenings out the ferret hutches but the old *** next door complained about the stink LOL  

It doesn't bother me but i would get a lot of grief from the wife , they complain about everything he is  95 and shes 85ish she had a stroke and is going  downhill fast 

They wrote the lady at the top of the road a anonymous 7 page letter about the state of her garden nothing better to do when you get old and crabbit