Ham radio equipment.

JKD

A question to the extremely knowledgeable PW ....

My father is/was a ham radio enthusiast (read fanatic !) He is now in a care home and has no use for his equipment any more. He did ask us to contact the ham radio association (or whatever), but the person contacted didn't "have room" for these items.

IMG-20230123-WA0000.jpg.16a874705a3f22bd823d174efc8b8720.jpgIMG-20230123-WA0002.jpg.bd52dc454ab17c4efb1902b8e166a18c.jpgIMG-20230123-WA0003.jpg.9f8987dd7cb385cd1657a239252788a1.jpg

Myself and my siblings are/were never interested in this 'hobby' and haven't a clue what we are even looking at.

Would anyone know where these items could go, or even be of any use at all ?

No monies are involved here, it just seems a shame to just throw them in a skip !

Any help would be much appreciated 🙂

Just now, 12gauge82 said:

Sorry I've no knowledge, something I've always been fascinated with though. Someone with knowledge will be along soon I'm sure. 

That's what I'm hoping for 😉

1 minute ago, patrickstar said:

hi mate 

Dont skip them search on ebay and sell the radio itself is worth a couple of hundred itself

Cheers fella,,,, didn't think it was worth much or anything at all. Thought this 'stuff' went obsolete on the invention of the mobile phone 😂

7 minutes ago, patrickstar said:

no mate there is a army of geeks out there what love that stuff there is also fb selling pages 

Thanks for your help, appreciated 👍

3 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

No idea how any of that works but look at all those buttons to press! 

That's what we always thought when we were kids,,,, 50 years ago 😖

I call/called it "the daa dit dit daa stuff" 🤣

Would it be worth asking , or ringing up your local auction sales ground ? , you just never know what that sort of stuff would make rather than skip it , if somebody paid decent money then you would know it's gone to a good home and if you didn't want the proceeds then you could donate it to a charity that your dad had any interest in .

A win , win all round .

2 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Would it be worth asking , or ringing up your local auction sales ground ? , you just never know what that sort of stuff would make rather than skip it , if somebody paid decent money then you would know it's gone to a good home and if you didn't want the proceeds then you could donate it to a charity that your dad had any interest in .

A win , win all round .

Cheers, yes that's the general idea. Our thoughts are it couldn't be worth much as it's probably obsolete. Definitely don't want to skip anything from the house if it's of any use to anybody 👍

18 hours ago, marsh man said:

A win , win all round .

Auction houses are not free?

3 hours ago, old man said:

Auction houses are not free?

I know but you don't normally pay for advice , if they were worth selling then they would advise you on what reserve to put on and if they sold you haven't got to worry about postage , this is an ideal way to move on anything bulky and the sellers fees are around 20 percent .

Depending on the version of the FT1000  about £1000 for the lot with a private sale, you might find people asking more but in these times I doubt they will get it. At auction you will probably get less and pay in the region of 30 - 40 percent in commission and VAT . 

Edited by sportsbob
typo

5 hours ago, sportsbob said:

The split would be £750 - £800 for the radio , £200 - £250 for the tuner, the speaker would maybee get £50 and the paddle about £100 so one buyer for the lot gets a reasonably good deal

Cheers again,,,, just need to find that elusive person 🤔🙂

28 minutes ago, JKD said:

Cheers again,,,, just need to find that elusive person 🤔🙂

https://rsgb.org/main/publications-archives/radcom/silent-keys/

Some advice on here. I am lucky that Andrew's Nephew is doing his radio ham exams so will have the gear once he is licenced. I haven't got any need to find a buyer for Andrew's radio ham kit.