Nitrous oxide

oowee

6 hours ago, Tancho said:

My son volunteers with a local litter picking group, The Aylesbury Wombles. They find hundreds of the large canisters monthly (401 last October) , along with disposable vapes, they are becoming a real problem.

Good for him.

I find it completely staggering just how much litter is out there, motorway verges etc are an absolute disgrace in this country.

On 27/01/2023 at 13:11, henry d said:

Whipping cream is used too, but you need to filter it. I've seen sanitary towels used! I'm not sure what non medical NO2 does to the lungs but non medical O2 is supposed to be bad to inhale.

non medical /welding O2 is exactly the same as breathing/medical O2 it all comes out the same tap at the plant.

medical/diving grade is tested and has paperwork for legal side.100% O2 is 100%O2.

2 hours ago, Remimax said:

non medical /welding O2 is exactly the same as breathing/medical O2 it all comes out the same tap at the plant.

medical/diving grade is tested and has paperwork for legal side.100% O2 is 100%O2.

Possibly told to us trainee welders to stop us using it to get rid of hangovers, or maybe it was different in the 70's?

On 27/01/2023 at 14:22, Tancho said:

My son volunteers with a local litter picking group, The Aylesbury Wombles. They find hundreds of the large canisters monthly (401 last October) , along with disposable vapes, they are becoming a real problem.

Apart from being a litter issue,  how do they become "a real problem " ?

When the Mrs was in hospital popping out the brats I did what most expect fathers do in the boredom and that was have a good go on the hospital nitrous.

Pretty underwhelming really, unpleasantly cold delivery of what was like an instant 4 pints and which wore off almost immediately. If I was going to pass a bowling ball I’d want a lot more than nitrous to take the edge off it all.

Most over the age of 18 will prefer the real 4 pints experience with mates, a game of pool, a few shots and then a kebab. I’m guessing that it’s those that can’t get into pubs that reach for this stuff. I’d regulate the supply just to stop all the parks being littered with empty metal gas bulbs.

It is indicated and very useful used in a medical setting to help manage pain in minor interventions and can be used as a stand alone analgesia or an adjunct. Use it frequently for such procedures such as managing burns, deep infiltrated wounds and fracture management among others. It rarely removes pain completely but can be helpful in reducing it. In obstetrics though opiates may be used in labour there are some risks to having them when close to delivery. N02 does not exihibit the same risks upon the woman and the baby in labour.

Beneficial because it is a self delivery system which is subjective to the patients need which reduces the risk of overdosing with other analgesics. Can be used for many hours without significant concern of central nervous system depression, the half life of it is very short and its primarily excreted via the respitory system which keeps your kidneys very happy happy. ☺️

It can't be used in some conditions such as head injury, collapsed lungs or chronic breathing conditions among a few other conditions/scenarios, but generally it is good to go. A patient can soon suck out a full bottle in in 10-15 minutes or so, that will be the quickest £100 you ever did consume without knowing and the cost a bit more expensive than 4 pints down at the local boozer but not directly out of your own immediate pocket. 

Edited by 7daysinaweek