Driveway security post

Just fitted two today and another two ready for tomorrow. All fold down and lockable. Bolts that come with them are rubbish, only 80mmm and they need to be at least 180mm. Ran out of long enough bolts today so waiting for tomorrow's amazon🙄

I will use them or wouldn't have fitted them.

They are fitted to hopefully stop the morons that keep trying to write my car off by turning round in my driveway.

Car has been hit 4 times since April last year, caravan once, garden fence once, drain pipe from guttering 3 times. All insurance claims and a couple of prosecutions for failing to stop.

20230303_152328.jpg

20230303_152345.jpg

45 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Just fitted two today and another two ready for tomorrow. All fold down and lockable. Bolts that come with them are rubbish, only 80mmm and they need to be at least 180mm. Ran out of long enough bolts today so waiting for tomorrow's amazon🙄

I will use them or wouldn't have fitted them.

They are fitted to hopefully stop the morons that keep trying to write my car off by turning round in my driveway.

Car has been hit 4 times since April last year, caravan once, garden fence once, drain pipe from guttering 3 times. All insurance claims and a couple of prosecutions for failing to stop.

20230303_152328.jpg

20230303_152345.jpg

Yours look very good 👍 👏  I was looking at those telescopic ones that get buried in the ground about 750mm because there is nothing solid to bolt to where I am looking to fix. Also I would be wanting to use it every day up and down and I've seen one that locks by lifting it up, or it looks like it.

Yes, I have a cheapie, bought on eBay.

As written above, the bolts supplied with it were too short, so I bought 3 long rawlbolts plus a long security bolt

The deterrent effect is purely visual, but, at least, my car hasn't been nicked, unlike  those of our neighbours.

7 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

These are what I bought:

Motacare® 2 x Heavy Duty Steel... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0849V4797?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Borrowed a jack hammer, dug a hole, chucked in a bag of post crete, in levelled it, post on top, banged in bolts, tighten when set, job done.

That's what I like to hear 👏 😏 🙌 

We had that type at work and when we where sent to open the road up we used to get a newbie to do it as after they unlocked them they dropped it and the hole and being full of water they got soaked . That was another bad thing about the dropping type the mechanics can rust . But that wasnt as bad as a mate dropped the unlocking key into the water filled hole and we had folk waiting to use the road took him over a hour to get the key back out LOL  

2 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

The only real difference between post crete and concrete is the size of the aggregate.

Bigger the hole the more it takes to smash it out, ie: more damag to the car/tesco van that hits it

Well, another consideration is that where I've dug it looks like an old water meter has been there because there is a "concrete" shuttering that would have to come out if I enlarge the hole 🤔🤔

If that post is 150mm diameter, a recommended 300mm hole is only 75mm spacing around it, in which I'd be putting Postcrete 🙂 Quite expensive, but instantly secure. Just make sure it's in the correct position before adding the Postcrete 🤭👍

One thing to consider if you're using the post to lock in a vehicle desirable to thieves is that they will not hesitate to become intruders and come for you for the keys to the post lock.

It may deter your average opportunistic scumbag or help prevent the careless from reversing into your drive but if you have something valuable like a range rover and it's being stolen to order then they are likely going to be tooled up to break in and take the keys by force.

Just one of those things that is better dealt with by the insurance Co after the fact than yourself at 2:30AM with a steel pipe across the face.

At the very least leave the keys near the front door where they any intruder can take them without having to fight for them.

18 minutes ago, JKD said:

If that post is 150mm diameter, a recommended 300mm hole is only 75mm spacing around it, in which I'd be putting Postcrete 🙂 Quite expensive, but instantly secure. Just make sure it's in the correct position before adding the Postcrete 🤭👍

👍 thanks

7 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

One thing to consider if you're using the post to lock in a vehicle desirable to thieves is that they will not hesitate to become intruders and come for you for the keys to the post lock.

It may deter your average opportunistic scumbag or help prevent the careless from reversing into your drive but if you have something valuable like a range rover and it's being stolen to order then they are likely going to be tooled up to break in and take the keys by force.

Just one of those things that is better dealt with by the insurance Co after the fact than yourself at 2:30AM with a steel pipe across the face.

At the very least leave the keys near the front door where they any intruder can take them without having to fight for them.

👍 thanks

4 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

Or go to that drawer that has all your old keys you have no idea what there for and make up a set of dummy keys to put by the front door and the thief’s will take those and you can call the cops whilst they wrestle through a set of keys that does nothing.

That's one of the things i do, plus a chair or table with something "loud" on that gets knocked over as the door is pushed open, then the dogs get them 🤣🤣

Or if you have a top end stolen to order motor they will get it going before cutting the pole or winching it out anyway. 
more they will just crane it out. 

if you have a 106 I don’t think you need to worry too much. 

keep a lump hammer handy to knock the post straight if someone runs into it with their tesco delivery truck or AO truck. 

1 minute ago, harrycatcat1 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍👍

Thought you'd like that 💃🤭🤣 At the end of the day, if thieves want something of yours/ours/mine/theirs, they will take it,,,, metal posts, security locks, mixed bunches of keys, snarling dogs,,,, tins of paint even,,,, ain't gonna stop 'em !!!

Wish people would stop being so negative !!! 🙄🙈🤣

We had a hobby caravan (I know) taken. 
hitch lock. Wheel lock to each wheel and leg lock. 

4 hours with angle grinders and crow bars. All caught on the one cctv camera they didn’t see and knock upwards. 

Hitched up (randomly) to a performance audi. I assume to allow ditching and a quick escape if required then probably onto the back of a pickup or van and on the Holyhead ferry for breakfast

3 hours ago, JKD said:

Thought you'd like that 💃🤭🤣 At the end of the day, if thieves want something of yours/ours/mine/theirs, they will take it,,,, metal posts, security locks, mixed bunches of keys, snarling dogs,,,, tins of paint even,,,, ain't gonna stop 'em !!!

Wish people would stop being so negative !!! 🙄🙈🤣

Oh yes I agree if someone wants something they will find a way to take it. My thinking is if I make it harder to take they might go for easier pickings 👍👍👍👍👍