CaptC

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, old'un said:

Is the steel box as you call it fixed and can we have some more pictures please.

Yes, it looked to be fixed (a lot of people fiddled with it) No more pictures but contact Pyles Auctions Hatherleigh - I'm sure it wasn't sold

1 minute ago, old'un said:

Does the steel box go through the thinner bottom plate?

No - it sits above it and is static

On 12/03/2023 at 08:59, CaptC said:

This well made brass “tool” was in a box of unsold lots at a local sale. No one knew what it does. 
The steel piece in the centre looks to be used for cutting? The brass ring is hinged and as you may see, there are springs which allow movement both down and up. 
Approx 4” x 4”. 

D3072A10-63E8-421C-A55B-37407760CC10.jpeg

FAEBEA69-1B38-44F5-A676-7FBF1D617575.jpeg

I think the steel metal wedge is the blade and the material goes between the blade to punch through or bellow lower plate as looks like a nylon plate 

the odd thing is that the cutter is very close to maximum width of what it’s cutting! 

The ring with a handle attached is the apply pressure to the wedge blade 

it looks well made 

Agriv8

2 hours ago, CaptC said:

I should add that there was/is no handle. The brass ring has a 1mm threaded hole obviously missing something. A handle or lever would be too much for the thred

do you know what it is ?

12 hours ago, CaptC said:

Getting closer but still a mystery 

bump

10 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Was it with shooting gear ? -  all I can think to cut arrow flights from feathers as you want them to be identical and a wedge shape 

Agriv8

No, in a box with some fishing bits and bobs. 

9 hours ago, ditchman said:

do you know what it is ?

bump

Not a clue - sorry. Whatever it was I wish I had bought it now! The box went for peanuts. 

3 hours ago, old'un said:

is the metal “box” fixed to the thick or thin plate?

Looked to be fixed 

4 hours ago, Jaymo said:

No you don’t understand, it’s missing the other part which makes the device around 12”long 

With magnifying glasses?

4 hours ago, Dunkield said:

Elaborate cigar cutter maybe?

No. The steel section is square 

1 hour ago, CaptC said:

Thin tin plate but well made

no, I dont think you know what I mean.

Right looking at the jig there is a thick brass plate about 10mm thick and a thin brass plate about 3mm thick, is the metal wedge shaped box fixed to either of the brass plates?

29 minutes ago, old'un said:

Right looking at the jig there is a thick brass plate about 10mm thick and a thin brass plate about 3mm thick, is the metal wedge shaped box fixed to either of the brass plates?

Yes. The "box" sits underneath but had no moving parts. I'm going to dig the catalogue out, find the lot number and contact the auctioneers to see if it was sold. There was also another "device" which I did not photograph - alas!

29 minutes ago, old'un said:

40 minutes ago, old'un said:

165 - Line winder,knife etcSold for £4.00!!!

That's a better picture.

I'm thinking that a rod/handle screws into the circular part,,,, 'something' is slid in and across the white nylon block, and the steel (what appears to be triangular) part is pressed down, using the handle and circular part, cutting (embossing?) the 'something',,,, the springs lifting the action ?

54 minutes ago, JKD said:

That's a better picture.

I'm thinking that a rod/handle screws into the circular part,,,, 'something' is slid in and across the white nylon block, and the steel (what appears to be triangular) part is pressed down, using the handle and circular part, cutting (embossing?) the 'something',,,, the springs lifting the action ?

thats what I was thinking but the triangular/wedge shape metal part does not go through the 3mm-4mm brass plate