What is it?

CaptC

This well made brass “tool” was in a box of unsold lots at a local sale. No one knew what it does. 
The steel piece in the centre looks to be used for cutting? The brass ring is hinged and as you may see, there are springs which allow movement both down and up. 
Approx 4” x 4”. 

D3072A10-63E8-421C-A55B-37407760CC10.jpeg

FAEBEA69-1B38-44F5-A676-7FBF1D617575.jpeg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Rem260 said:

Could it be some sort of embossing machine. Looks like a screw in handle is missing off the brass ring.

I was also thinking that, makes me wonder why its all been made in brass and nylon?, also the fact that the die-set is spring loaded makes me think that piece of steel, what looks like a tool clamp, is preventing the compression of the brass plate.

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

Is there a groove in the ring weight that coincides with a blade on the steel?

No - the ring is hinged. I wish I bought the damned thing! 

24 minutes ago, old'un said:

I was also thinking that, makes me wonder why its all been made in brass and nylon?, also the fact that the die-set is spring loaded makes me think that piece of steel, what looks like a tool clamp, is preventing the compression of the brass plate.

The steel box like piece is tapered - a square end which tapers to an almost closed end 

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Couple of questions, does the piece of nylon on the bottom have any cut-out and can the piece of steel be removed as I dont think that should be there.

Any chance of a couple of pictures looking down on the top and an end-on picture.

1 minute ago, CaptC said:

No - the ring is hinged. I wish I bought the damned thing! 

The steel box like piece is tapered - a square end which tapers to an almost closed end 

No nylon material. Alas I left it in the saleroom 

47 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Looks like some form of guillotine.  The steel looks like a wedge shaped cutter, and the ring would push it in in an end to end motion slicing thin material.

Ring doesn’t touch the steel box