Back in the hide - at last.

the hitman

Hi Folks 

My shooting has been seriously curtailed by work and family commitments recently.

A window of opportunity presented itself this morning, and although I hadn’t been shooting I had been spotting where pigeons were feeding on my route to/ from work.

I had identified a large block of three rape fields and as I have shot this ground before I knew the best spot for my hide.

This land is very high up and i had a great view of where the pigeons were coming from.

I was set up at 8am and didn’t have to wait long before the first group came in for a look - 2 shots 1 down. An easy single followed and the magnet was set up. The wind was a gentle southerly and the pigeons kept coming up the field, spotted the magnet and headed straight in. There seemed to pigeons in the air all the time, and a strong line into my decoys. I was a bit rusty and called myself some nasty names for easy misses, but was still shooting more that I was missing. I set myself a challenge to count how many I could shoot with my next 20 shots - and killed a respectable 18- so well chuffed.

By 10am I began bringing shot birds in as I had a big pattern out. By 11am there was an obvious slowdown of birds and by 11.30am I was packing up with 72.

Not sure when I will get out again but memories of today will keep me going.

Hitman

2EC5CF70-B94A-4AD1-9287-71A53A31E6A4.png

Strong line indeed, those type of days are few and far between but as you say, they are the ones you remember for a long time, love it when it all comes together, well done.:good:

presentation of your shot birds, first three rows, top marks, but there's room for improvement with the birds at the top of the picture.:)

That was very impressive in the time frame and your early morning start paid dividends , we are now seeing more Pigeons but seeing them is a lot different from seeing them in your bag , with having several rape fields all in a small area it is nigh on impossible to get any amount of Pigeons coming back to one particular field , two or three shots and that is it in the afternoons , it might well be better in the mornings but my aging body don't no longer like the early starts :lol:

Glad you managed a reasonably good return on your shot birds , not brilliant by any means but still worth the trouble to off load a decent number :good:

2 hours ago, old'un said:

Strong line indeed, those type of days are few and far between but as you say, they are the ones you remember for a long time, love it when it all comes together, well done.:good:

presentation of your shot birds, first three rows, top marks, but there's room for improvement with the birds at the top of the picture.

Yes - I just normally put them in a pile , however after recent comments by PC I thought I would make an effort- ish.

The pigeons have been feeding undisturbed on these fields for quite a while hence the confidence to decoy.

I would normally expect to shoot for 6-7 hours to get a return like that.

46 minutes ago, marsh man said:

That was very impressive in the time frame and your early morning start paid dividends , we are now seeing more Pigeons but seeing them is a lot different from seeing them in your bag , with having several rape fields all in a small area it is nigh on impossible to get any amount of Pigeons coming back to one particular field , two or three shots and that is it in the afternoons , it might well be better in the mornings but my aging body don't no longer like the early starts 

Glad you managed a reasonably good return on your shot birds , not brilliant by any means but still worth the trouble to off load a decent number :good:

I am fortunate that I can get rid of them - it’s my hobby so not looking to make anything from it.

The temperature is increasing up here so I expect the spring drillings to begin anytime. Drillings haven’t yielded much locally in recent years, however I am always the optimist.

Cracking bag in that space of time, and over rape especially! I’ve not shot 72 on rape for some years now, odd as in the summer I shoot good bags but the pigeons just seem to vanish here through winter! 
An undisturbed field like that will give you another tidy outing when you’ve the time soon I’m sure, good work 👍🏼