Rape starting to get into flower ?

marsh man

On our run out today we passed a couple of Rape fields that had started to get a few Yellow flowers mixed amongst the plants and Yes they were from the Rape plants as I stopped to have a look and to let my dog out for a pee .

Now with wet and mild weather forecasted next week it won't be long now to see how many of Rape are in your area as each year I see fields with the Yellow flowers on I never even knew they were Rape , Any in flower around your way ??

9 hours ago, ditchman said:

might be charnock ?

I dont think so Ditchy - the whole crop will be in flower i would suggest by the end of the week

Back there tomorrow because they have really found it in good numbers 

Took a young lad with me yesterday and we should have had 60/70 

9 hours ago, marsh man said:

On our run out today we passed a couple of Rape fields that had started to get a few Yellow flowers mixed amongst the plants and Yes they were from the Rape plants as I stopped to have a look and to let my dog out for a pee .

Now with wet and mild weather forecasted next week it won't be long now to see how many of Rape are in your area as each year I see fields with the Yellow flowers on I never even knew they were Rape , Any in flower around your way ??

Just as we start to drill all the other crops!

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

I'm out today so I'll take a closer look. No drilling here as yet for Barley as the ground is too water logged.

We had a lot of very mild and dry weather last month and the farmers took full advantage of it and got on with the Spring drillings , some of the barley fields are now above the fields and looking nice and Green , we are now nearly in the third week in March and I dare say that somewhere the first Peas have already been planted , time wait for no one .

2 hours ago, jall25 said:

I dont think so Ditchy - the whole crop will be in flower i would suggest by the end of the week

Back there tomorrow because they have really found it in good numbers 

Took a young lad with me yesterday and we should have had 60/70 

100 % Rape flower and as you rightly say that by this time next week there will be as much Yellow on the field as Green and then it could be to high to shoot over .:good:

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

We had a lot of very mild and dry weather last month and the farmers took full advantage of it and got on with the Spring drillings , some of the barley fields are now above the fields and looking nice and Green , we are now nearly in the third week in March and I dare say that somewhere the first Peas have already been planted , time wait for no one .

100 % Rape flower and as you rightly say that by this time next week there will be as much Yellow on the field as Green and then it could be to high to shoot over .:good:

Just this Ditchy

I took a younger member of our shoot on the rape yesterday and put him on the bit the pigeon have grazed - they cam in like arrows to him !

I thought i would go a bit further and set up under a big tree where where its always a bit thin - but it was up to my knees 

I was more flightline shooting - i put a few decoys in the tramlines but the birds could not see them and it was too high and too wet to land in really 

I will be on my mates spot it the morning !

2 hours ago, Bigbob said:

Maybe a early variety to try and beat the beatle 

You could well be right about the varieties , when the rape first came in the area that was the only variety about , now 50 odd years later the various varieties can no doubt cover most types of soil and climates .

Our rape fields are now on the move and looking well but still a week or more from seeing the first flowers .