After a Labrador

Root

Hi I've decided to go for a Labrador retriever, I was looking at getting a German pointer but not having much look we finding one I've gone for a Labrador instead,well looking for one just wondering if you lads or ladies can point me in the right direction to who breeds them out of working stock. no show stock for me thankyou and this is what I'm struggling with at the moment everywhere I look its show stuff any help be much appreciated . Derbyshire area.

But will travel for right pup  no problem.

Thanks 

Root

Edited by Root

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

hope you have deep pockets................what about ringing a few gamekeepers up ?

Why does he need deep pockets?

The market has been absolutely flooded over the past year or two as a result of covid prices and people breeding any bitch they could get their hands on. 

On gundogs direct there are multiple litters of pups available, some as low as £600 but lots for under a grand. 

People still trying to sell for high prices are struggling as there are ads on there from people selling “pups” that are 20+ weeks old… 

The biggest consideration for me would be buying something that was out of decent working stock, not just any old bitch bred for a fast buck. 

From my experience with gamekeepers, they are usually very busy and don’t always have time to put many many hours into dog training. Probably some of the worst dogs I’ve seen belonged to the keeper or shoot owner, although on the flip side some of the best belonged to my mate who’s a keeper also. I think my point there is just calling yourself a “gamekeeper” doesn’t give you any sort of guarantee in quality. 

If I was looking and I didn’t have any contacts I’d strongly consider the below advert, parents fully health tested as well as being proven in the field, and the owner isn’t asking for silly money for them either. 

https://www.gundogsdirect.co.uk/labradors-for-sale/labrador-puppies-for-sale/18560.html

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

hope you have deep pockets................what about ringing a few gamekeepers up ?

1 hour ago, old'un said:

as you say, gun-dog trainers/breeders seem a bit thin on the ground but I did notice this kennels near you, might be worth giving them a call...https://woodlandeavegundogs.org/

Cheers

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

The market has been absolutely flooded over the past year or two as a result of covid prices and people breeding any bitch they could get their hands on. 

On gundogs direct there are multiple litters of pups available, some as low as £600 but lots for under a grand. 

People still trying to sell for high prices are struggling as there are ads on there from people selling “pups” that are 20+ weeks old… 

The biggest consideration for me would be buying something that was out of decent working stock, not just any old bitch bred for a fast buck. 

From my experience with gamekeepers, they are usually very busy and don’t always have time to put many many hours into dog training. Probably some of the worst dogs I’ve seen belonged to the keeper or shoot owner, although on the flip side some of the best belonged to my mate who’s a keeper also. I think my point there is just calling yourself a “gamekeeper” doesn’t give you any sort of guarantee in quality. 

If I was looking and I didn’t have any contacts I’d strongly consider the below advert, parents fully health tested as well as being proven in the field, and the owner isn’t asking for silly money for them either. 

https://www.gundogsdirect.co.uk/labradors-for-sale/labrador-puppies-for-sale/18560.html

Cheers 

38 minutes ago, nellywinner said:

Hi There will send you a pm on contact details of a chap in Derby.

Cheers 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Just been on that website and cannot see any dogs for sale? Apart from the link you gave.

33 minutes ago, old'un said:

Just been on that website and cannot see any dogs for sale? Apart from the link you gave.

Did you go on your desktop computer? 

I had the exact same issue on my own, it wouldn’t open the adverts. 

Tried on my phone and there are loads for sale… must be an issue with the website. 

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Tried on my phone and there are loads for sale… must be an issue with the website. 

looks like the issue is my end, their website does not like Firefox, can view dogs for sale if I use Microsoft Edge. :good:

Edited by old'un

If at all possible it would be good idea to see the sire and grand parents.

I was unlucky with with my 2 previous Labs who both came from good stock and were expensive. My current Lab who is fox red is 9 years old and still as fit as a biddy. He came from Devon and his mother who was nearly 6 (her last litter)looked in great condition. Unfortunately I arrived late to pick him up and just missed seeing the sire. The dam's mother who I believe was 12 was present looked very fit and was still working. You could say I was just lucky.

3 hours ago, cash1 said:

If at all possible it would be good idea to see the sire and grand parents.

I was unlucky with with my 2 previous Labs who both came from good stock and were expensive. My current Lab who is fox red is 9 years old and still as fit as a biddy. He came from Devon and his mother who was nearly 6 (her last litter)looked in great condition. Unfortunately I arrived late to pick him up and just missed seeing the sire. The dam's mother who I believe was 12 was present looked very fit and was still working. You could say I was just lucky.

It’s good in theory but the majority of people don’t own the stud dog that they use so it’s not easy to see the stud. 

Easier if they use a FTCH or similar as these days you can see the dog work on YouTube / the championship DVD’s… although more people are also making their own videos on YouTube etc and you can see dogs working in the field (although they can just edit out the bad bits 🤣). 

I may have details of a breeder of proper labradors here in Leicestershire. I could make enquiries. Working dogs like Dave at Kelton's but black.  Spoke with the owner of two this week and comended her on the dogs, good heads, otter tails and double coats and more important...labrador eyes.

On 21/03/2023 at 10:50, Lloyd90 said:

I can't see anything on this site with anything other than my phone. Tried all sorts without any success. 

• 3 weeks later...