Brood of ducklings

SuperGoose75

Was surprised to see a brood of ducklings in a drainage dyke yesterday evening on  my walk with the hound. Plenty of mallard on the move with the drakes still chasing the ducks around.

Seems very early giving the wet weather and there was still a good few whooper swans and grelyag ''lagging''around last week. With 4 months to opening day the prospect of a good breeding season of the mallard at least looks promising.

Edited by SuperGoose75

when i was in the wildfowlers ...we used to count up the number of duck we shot that year ...and we would breed and release double the number we shot every year...we were giventhe duck as poults and raise them in the shed and back yard.........one of the young lads who was an apprentice at kings lynn docks had a duck that made friends with him and used to fly along side him as he cycled to work...and then feed on the wharfs where they unloaded grain (maize and stuff)....then at 5 oclock he would cycle home with the duck flying next to him....it was in the EDP and kings lynn news....

Now with Otters on just about every waterway and rivers that hold fish it's a wander any young duck survive at all , we have also got the problem of some large Pike in the lake that is part of the estate , but despite all the doom and gloom we had really good numbers of Mallard in the area last year and hopefully it will continue in the months and years to come .   MM

Our first brood came off about the first week in April

Im always amazed how many nests and broods i see on our clearfell

We have about 60 ducklings at the moment on our big pond and a brood or two on most of the others

My biggest worry this year is the lack of insects - so im feeding loads of mealworms at the moment  

• 1 month later...
On 27/04/2023 at 13:16, marsh man said:

Now with Otters on just about every waterway and rivers that hold fish it's a wander any young duck survive at all , we have also got the problem of some large Pike in the lake that is part of the estate , but despite all the doom and gloom we had really good numbers of Mallard in the area last year and hopefully it will continue in the months and years to come .   MM

John, otter's are causing havoc everywhere, oh, and if those pike require teaching a lesson by having a set of irons stuck in 'em, I'd be happy to assist 😁

Edited by Penelope

• 2 months later...

Got two broods on one of my flight ponds, the youngest only days old.

Used to shoot the first flight end of September but will leave them be until the clocks change though will keep the food going in, seems like a good year for both Mallard and Canadas judging by the amount of food they are eating!!