Time for a go.

muncher

I haven’t been out after the pigeons and after a long and very fruitful wildfowl season on the marshes, and unfortunately my wife has been quite unwell and needed some care. I did spot a good opportunity in early March which I put my brother onto and he shot a bag off 145 I believe. My brother rang me Friday evening and asked shall we shoot some woodies tomorrow , I answered that I hadn’t real looked for any, but he said he had a field that looks promising. I arrived at the field at 10 o’clock and it was devoid of pigeons. I watched for a while and thought I’d go for a drive and check around. I told my brother what I was up to as he had yet to arrive at the field. I found a recently harvested beet field that had several going in, unfortunately it was having manure spread on it. I spoke to the lads doing it and he promised he wouldn’t reach where I wanted to set up until the next day. I rang the farmer to check all was ok, he said, fill your boots boi. As I hadn’t expected to be decoying pigeon’s I didn’t have any dead birds with me only 8 plastic decoys , so I had 8 and some silo socks. I set up with my back to a dyke with the wind from my left, the main flight line was from behind me but I didn’t want to face that way due to a busy main road 200 yards away. The time was now 11.30 , it took me about half an hour to get my first pigeon and I watch frustrated as birds flew just out of range across the field. I decided to put up the rotary with 1 pigeon on it and balanced the opposite site with a small piece of beet. That worked and within minutes birds started to decoy , I waited until I had five and replaced the bit of beet with another pigeon and took some plastic decoys in. I rang my brother and said I think it will shoot, probably a 50 bird day, he said he would come later as he was busy now for a bit. Most birds went past and then some would peal back and decoy. Most coming in very fast. About 1.30 my brother arrived and I had about 30 ish down. I let him shoot for a while and the pigeon activity increased. After a bit I joined in taking my turn and the bag slowly increased. I can’t say I shot very well but we ended with 132 pigeons so a very nice afternoon indeed. IMG_2514.jpeg.65c0517c5e167b8cd553529d57bfd6bf.jpeg

Good report as usual from one Norfolks top decoyer's , I like the beet idea on the magnet and it blow all posts to shreads about paint shades and if Pigeons can see in various lighting conditions it reminded me of the day when Kenzie Thorpe used clods of soil and bits of paper to decoy geese .:lol:

Cracking bag and I hope your wife is on the mend and feeling a lot better :good: 

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, well done muncher 👍

Thank you 

4 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

Nice Job sounds like a good day was had 

Yes it was nice to be out again. 

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well done.   :good:

Very close to one of your patches 😜

3 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Well done, I like your policy of " See them ,Shoot them" but you must keep secret the beet decoy on your magnet??

A good report of a good days decoying. thanks for posting, I'm hoping that once they leave the buds we will start to see some bags being shot all over the country.

Cheers, I’m hoping they drill it soon and another day should be productive. 

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

gud one boi :good:

🍻

1 hour ago, Wilts#Dave said:

Cracking, lovely return to a spot of decoying that is by anyone’s standards 👍🏼

Yes it certainly was. Thanks. 

10 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Good report as usual from one Norfolks top decoyer's , I like the beet idea on the magnet and it blow all posts to shreads about paint shades and if Pigeons can see in various lighting conditions it reminded me of the day when Kenzie Thorpe used clods of soil and bits of paper to decoy geese .

Cracking bag and I hope your wife is on the mend and feeling a lot better :good: 

I don’t subscribe to all the nonsense about special decoys. Go where the birds want to be and you’ll do ok, just have to read PC posts to see that. The wife’s recovery will be a while but she’ll get there.