Guy Gibsons dogs grave

wisdom

I thought this is a country of free speech if all these wokes and others don't like it why don't they P*** off whence they came

I've heard GGs dog was moved years ago when the Vulcans were there, Still no reason to touch the gravestone

Apparently it's okay though for a lady of colour to complain publicly that the Buckingham Palace balcony was "very white". Imagine the global burst of outrage if someone stated publicly that the gospel singers at the coronation were "very black".

Why should the 99% of the population who aren't offended by such words kneel in supplication to the 1% who are?

I heard that schools don’t let kids sing Barr Barr black sheep anymore. Utterly ridiculous. 

but I too think that if “they” can still use that N word, then stop trying to completely remove it from history. If you don’t want that word used, there should be a blanket ban on it. One rule for us, one rule for them. Every time. 

now. Where’s my copy of blazing saddles? 

8 hours ago, Ratlegs said:

I've had eighteen years in uniform, been called most things

only words, main thing is to go home safe

Exactly. "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names can never hurt me.".......Unless you're an attention seeking weak minded woke.   

It's no different to the Irish and Irish Americans calling us Brits which they use as a term of derision.

Or the Australians calling us Poms. Again it used as an insult

Gay people call each other queer but if I did I would face prosecution and probably lose my licence

11 hours ago, Ratlegs said:

I've had eighteen years in uniform, been called most things

only words, main thing is to go home safe

My final word through the cell door flap was "this *** ole is going home now.....bye ". Always worked a treat  !

Too many cameras now  !

Edited by Westley

If the grave/memorial were to be desecrated we would all be asking why was this not thought of and action taken to prevent it.

I feel for the folk of Lincolnshire in losing this important piece of history but they should know that it will be well taken care of in Norfolk where we have a fair number of publicly accessible memorials that are well respected.

I feel that as soon as it is attempted to ban a word as being offensive it immediately gives the word far more gravitas and publicity than it deserves. It also makes it far more attractive for kids to use and so perpetuates its use. Educating folk as to why any word can be offensive if used in certain ways is far more challenging but leaves personal choice and avoids the censorship that we should carry on fighting for. 

I just wonder when male, female, ginger, fat etc. etc. etc. are going to be added to the swear filter on here as all can be equally offensive.

It is just as offensive to me that we cannot call a dog by its given name. It is not the dog's fault nor should history be manipulated in this way.

On 11/05/2023 at 23:59, 39TDS said:

I suspect a certain part of the population would disagree on that. I don't agree with this trying to change history to fit modern values but it has always been offensive and always used in such a way. 

I'm not convinced one little bit that the use of that particular word in the context of a dog's name based on its color was offensive. BCC20 was a standard color from the 1930's onwards and Gibson's dog was one of many in that era named so. I can remember buying tins of black paint using that very name.