Cordless strimmer ?.

samboy

Hi gang.

I need a new strimmer for about £100 max. I don't want one where you have to bang the spool on the ground to release the wire

so zip ties or cutting lines is the type i want. Any thoughts chaps ?.

Thanks all.

Which cordless battery system do you already own, if any?

Get that one, and budget for a replacement spool head if you don't like the one that comes with it...would be the simple answer.

Also, is this just for the garden?  Not for, uh, smallholding or strimming paths at your DIY syndicate?  £100 doesn't get you very far.  I'm very happy with the Parkside (Lidl) one I acquired a few weeks ago, for £69, but I already had batteries and charger for it.  I also have Makita stuff, but that would've been a considerable step up in price, and probably OTT for my light use.

50 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Which cordless battery system do you already own, if any?

Get that one, and budget for a replacement spool head if you don't like the one that comes with it...would be the simple answer.

Also, is this just for the garden?  Not for, uh, smallholding or strimming paths at your DIY syndicate?  £100 doesn't get you very far.  I'm very happy with the Parkside (Lidl) one I acquired a few weeks ago, for £69, but I already had batteries and charger for it.  I also have Makita stuff, but that would've been a considerable step up in price, and probably OTT for my light use.

Got a Bosch corded one at the mo and just for medium size garden. Don't want another corded or petrol.

16 hours ago, samboy said:

Got a Bosch corded one at the mo and just for medium size garden. Don't want another corded or petrol.

So you don’t own any other cordless power tools whose batteries and charger you could use?

If that’s the case, get down Lidl & pick yourself up their strimmer, 2 batteries & a charger. Be a bit more than £100, but not much more. Sorted.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2023 at 09:02, udderlyoffroad said:

So you don’t own any other cordless power tools whose batteries and charger you could use?

If that’s the case, get down Lidl & pick yourself up their strimmer, 2 batteries & a charger. Be a bit more than £100, but not much more. Sorted.

This, and then you have bought into the Lidl 20v cordless world! I can recommend them!!

6 minutes ago, Morkin said:

Hiya Samboy, I've got a still rechargable, the head takes cut cord or blades, the blades will cut the grass very well on small bits of lawn , we have had ours for tree years , ABSULOTALY FANTASTIC BIT OF KIT 🤔👍

Presumably you mean a Stihl rechargeable? Don’t think he’s in Stihl territory with his £100 budget

2 hours ago, smokingdragon said:

This, and then you have bought into the Lidl 20v cordless world! I can recommend them!!

I initially resisted them, as I had Makita stuff. But the trouble is, that starts to get expensive if you want “occasional use” tools as well as the daily driver type tools. Picked up a Lidl chainsaw and batteries for less than £100, whereas the makita equivalent would’ve been north of  £250 for the tool alone.

I have a Stihl battery strimmer.  It works nicely - but the battery life is less than half the 'quoted' run time.  Overall, rather disappointing as the batteries are expensive.  The same batteries give quite a good run time in the Stihl hedge trimmer, so I don't think it is a faulty battery problem.

On 19/05/2023 at 16:20, Dave at kelton said:

Have you got one of these 🤔 are they OK?  I have a petrol stihl that might benefit from one of these sooner than messing with the string.

2 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Have you got one of these 🤔 are they OK?  I have a petrol stihl that might benefit from one of these sooner than messing with the string.

Yep I had one on a petrol stihl, not this make but very similar. Great for light work even light brash. I bought spare blades as these wear if you use on anything other than grass.

5 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Presumably you mean a Stihl rechargeable? Don’t think he’s in Stihl territory with his £100 budget

I initially resisted them, as I had Makita stuff. But the trouble is, that starts to get expensive if you want “occasional use” tools as well as the daily driver type tools. Picked up a Lidl chainsaw and batteries for less than £100, whereas the makita equivalent would’ve been north of  £250 for the tool alone.

Just had a look and like said 🤔 STIHL 👏👏👏 FSA 45 I've just found as cheap as £99 most places £105_£110, hope this helps 🙋🤞