Germany

Ratlegs

Just had a week there

In Lidl the shelves stacked high with fresh fruit and veg   Litre bottle of queen margot whisky 7.40 euros less than half the price here

WE RE supermarket next door even cheaper on some things again plenty of every thing  and black pudding in tins

New HW 35 449.50 euros in sports shop

15 hours ago, sportsbob said:

:good: The alcohol is far more expensive in the UK though because of the Tax system here.

Last time I was in Germany you used to get 5c a bottle taking them back to the store and recycling them. It was pretty much every store you went to had the same system. Used to see younger generation (late teenagers etc) hauling crates of empty bottles back to get their refund back. Instead, this country allows its younger generation to smash bottles on the pavement near to empty council bins.

Would be good if this country could do the same, I wouldn’t be so worried about walking my shepherd through random patches of broken glass, and folk would be encouraged to recycle more.

Edited by sutty2006

2 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

Last time I was in Germany you used to get 5c a bottle taking them back to the store and recycling them. It was pretty much every store you went to had the same system. Used to see younger generation (late teenagers etc) hauling crates of empty bottles back to get their refund back. Instead, this country allows its younger generation to smash bottles on the pavement near to empty council bins.

Would be good if this country could do the same, I wouldn’t be so worried about walking my shepherd through random patches of broken glass, and folk would be encouraged to recycle more.

It was to be tried in Scotland but retail outlets dont seem on the idea.    When we had local brewers and soft drink manufacturers the empties, cash refund  to donors, went back to be reused in the same crates which the full bottles arrived.

Blackpowder

There is that quote about the youth lecturing the old about recycling - and the response about milk bottles etc in their day

I can remember the local pop man coming round.....from the pop factory that was 200 yards down the road - I also remember the night it was burnt down and my mates Dad was put out of a job.

My son is living in Leipzig in Germany. We went to visit him a few months ago driving there from the euro tunnel. I was impressed with how many wind and solar farms there are right the way through the country. We also witnessed the recycling centres within supermarkets for plastic bottles where you feed the empty containers in and get a voucher for credit for your shopping. A beautiful clean country. 

On 27/05/2023 at 13:58, Fargo said:

I often holiday in Hungary and Bavaria and the food seems better and fresher there plus cheaper than here.

Uk seems be lacking on many fronts regarding actual quality of life sadly 

Food inflation in Hungary is a whopping 44%, compared to the UK's 19%, with Germany about the same!

On 27/05/2023 at 12:43, Ratlegs said:

Just had a week there

In Lidl the shelves stacked high with fresh fruit and veg   Litre bottle of queen margot whisky 7.40 euros less than half the price here

Was in Germany in March, they were definitely having some supply issues then, even posted about it on here.  Have been a couple of times since, most recently last week and things appear to have improved.

Incidentally, all those on here opining in favour of a deposit scheme - currently €0.25  in Germany - the Scottish government are working on one.  Doing their level best to annoy the industry by inventing their own unique system.

I'm quite amused at the notion that toe-rags who can't be bothered to find a bin and smash glass everywhere will somehow consider the economic consequences of their behaviour....really?

6 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Food inflation in Hungary is a whopping 44%, compared to the UK's 19%, with Germany about the same!

Was in Germany in March, they were definitely having some supply issues then, even posted about it on here.  Have been a couple of times since, most recently last week and things appear to have improved.

Incidentally, all those on here opining in favour of a deposit scheme - currently €0.25  in Germany - the Scottish government are working on one.  Doing their level best to annoy the industry by inventing their own unique system.

I'm quite amused at the notion that toe-rags who can't be bothered to find a bin and smash glass everywhere will somehow consider the economic consequences of their behaviour....really?

If you shop locally at markets and eat organic home from foods and buy un processed meats then it’s not I assure you .

They imported a fair bit from Russia and had good working relationships but since the ukraine usa/ Russia thing started it’s obviously gone quiet