Pigeon racing.

greylag

I have recently returned from a holiday in west Wales and while there several racing pigeons were seen wandering ,obviously lost.

On further investigation it was discovered that these birds were from a race from France to Ireland.

With the current conserve about avian flue I was wondering if these races are frequent and to what degree they are monitored by DEFRA.

1 hour ago, steve1066 said:

Do you know the difference between a wood pigeon and a racing pigeon?

You have to give the racer a lot more lead. 🤪

only joking.

i mistakenly shot a racing pigeon that was mixed up with a couple of woodies..........when i picked it up it was then i realised what it was ...it have a telephone number printed on the underside of the wing....which i phoned....the bloke answered and i apologised as to what i had done........the bloke was very frendly and thanked me very nicely for taking the trouble...i was on the phone for about 20 mins chatting away

he explained the bird had been missing for 3 days and was 150 miles off coarse...and i did him a favour ....as he would delete that line from his loft....

only joking.

😀 The few I’ve shot have often been mixing with ferals. 

2 hours ago, greylag said:

I have recently returned from a holiday in west Wales and while there several racing pigeons were seen wandering ,obviously lost.

On further investigation it was discovered that these birds were from a race from France to Ireland.

With the current conserve about avian flue I was wondering if these races are frequent and to what degree they are monitored by DEFRA.

Perhaps they’re frightened to return with the riots an’ all? 

only joking.

I think he might be coming from the angle of comparing the release of game birds and DEFRA's latest wheeze about SA's and pigeons being set free to race.

I have found 2 racers dead , first one was hit by a car, second hawk attack. Both had rings.

When it came up in conversation with a pigeon racer they to said any bird late coming home would be no good to them and got rid of.

Hi Graylag defra will have legislation regarding racing pigeons and having pigeons and other birds together.l know that they were allowed to fly for a short time each day. I see what you mean about releasing pigeons and game birds.   I kept racing pigeons in the early 60s and sometimes lots of pigeons got lost in bad weather some valuable birds lost. We had two in the loft  that wouldn’t leave and my friend reported them a man collected them and gave us five pounds. We were told to give lost pigeons food water and rest and release them away from the loft. This is why some pigeons arrive days after they were released. Some big prize money in pigeon racing. Any pigeons with metal rings are someone’s property. It’s even on BASC website.
 Hi dichman it may have been a different story if it was Armando the Belgian racing pigeon you shot . The owner wouldn’t be happy. l wish I had birds like that when I kept them. My friend from Southern Ireland would go to auctions for pigeons. Some of them cost a lot of money. I wonder how many feral pigeons in town have blue blood and were worth a fortune at one time.