First Go On This Years Stubble

marsh man

Listening to the weather forecast dinnertime, we were getting another Yellow weather warning from the met office for heavy thundery showers , well rather than sit indoors waiting for it to happen I might as well sit in a Pigeon hide and take a chance , so at 1.30 pm I was on my way to a freshly cut Rye stubble , getting to the field it had possibly 100 on and several on the other three fields so things were looking good for a few shots , even after heavy rain during the week it was still easy to drive across and very soon I was setting up between two mature trees , I have shot this field a number of times over the years so I more or less knew where one of the best places would be , the reason I set up between the trees was both tree were in range and you get a few Pigeons over fly the decoys and make for the trees , this is the type of shooting I enjoy , taking on birds either crossing right to left or visa versa rather than hovering over the decoys , my set up was putting my decoys out on top of the stubble and then the first two I shot went on two floaters , these were placed each end of the decoys and that was more or less it , my magnet get left at home more and more nowadays as I now like to keep things simple .

There was always the odd Pigeon about but with four fields that are all stubble they did have a few places to go , with me being roughly in the middle of the four fields my sound of a shot was more than enough to keep a few on the move , the shooting was never hectic but I was more than happy to keep getting the odd shot , I had the tennis on my little radio and it was pouring a rain in London and the sky around me was as Black as the ace of spades but as luck would have it we had no rain but boy was it humid , and the flys were having a field day , now I find two or three hours is more than enough nowadays and I decided to give it till 4.30 , as soon as 4.30 came that was it , the cartridges were taking out of my gun and then sleeved just in case I was tempted to stay a little longer , I had a couple to walk after and time I cleared up I had 23 , not the size of bag we have been reading about lately but I have had some nice shooting and my dog have had a hot but enjoyable afternoon so we were both happy with the result . THANKS for reading

SAM-7642.jpg

SAM-7640.jpg

SAM-7637.jpg

SAM-7635.jpg

Well done Marshman, I just love the first of the stubble shooting and it looks like you had an enjoyable few hours in the hide. 
I’ve had a couple of weeks break now with a holiday and lots of work on, but looking forward to the next day in the hide…..before I went away there were pigeons on various fields, but I’ve no doubt there will be a lot of change over the next few weeks as the combines roll. 
It seems to be over in the blink of an eye every year, and like buses it all comes at once! 
Keep it up! 

Lovely report and pictures of your few hours out and a decent bag. That’s the time out that also suits me so for 3 hours you had fairly consistent shooting.

Bobbie looks in good shape and obviously enjoying it.

I had a short session last week on rye stubble but only managed 4, but at least it got me out after a very quiet spell of no pigeon activity whatsoever.

I’m out tomorrow on a triticale stubble out on the marsh where I’ve seen quite a few down feeding, so hoping for a few shots.

Thanks for sharing.

OB

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Lovely report and pictures of your few hours out and a decent bag. That’s the time out that also suits me so for 3 hours you had fairly consistent shooting.

Bobbie looks in good shape and obviously enjoying it.

I had a short session last week on rye stubble but only managed 4, but at least it got me out after a very quiet spell of no pigeon activity whatsoever.

I’m out tomorrow on a triticale stubble out on the marsh where I’ve seen quite a few down feeding, so hoping for a few shots.

Thanks for sharing.

OB

Morning Chris and THANKS to the above replies , We might not be as lean on Pigeons that you are at the moment in Kent but I wouldn't say we are over run with them , the Peas I have been looking after are now devoid of birds and the thin patches around the head lands are mainly caused by Rabbits rather than Pigeons , the Rye stubble I was on yesterday had been cut for nigh on a week so they have had a few days to feed undisturbed , this was noticeable to how they came into the rubber decoys to start off with , in the past I might had been tempted to swap each rubber decoy with a freshly shot dead bird ,but now if they are coming into what I put out and I am getting a few crossing shots then so be it , I can fully understand those who are working all the week and want to make the most of there one day they can go Pigeon shooting , I would had been the same , but not now , Monday and Tuesday I will be having a gentle strool around the various fields and Wednesday ( weather permitting ) I will have another little go after I drop some Pigeons off at the pub , the same routine for Thursday and Friday and then another go on the Saturday , I can now get all I want on two afternoons on the stubble than the three times I had to spend on the Peas , so the keeness is still there but it is now down to moderation .

GOOD LUCK on your trip down the marsh , a place I spend more time down than I do at home :lol: