Fort William

terence

21 minutes ago, terence said:

Hi everyone going to Fort William in August any body know what the mozzys are like at that time will i need azmat suit thanks for any replys even if youre taking the micheal 

The mozzies may be ok, but the midges will be horrendous.

Life System deterrent, either 100 or 50% DEET. Be aware 100% DEET melts plastics.

If camping or self catering and sitting outside, a Thermacell back packer that runs off a butane/propane camping gas cylinder.

https://www.lifesystems.co.uk/products/insect-repellents/max-deet-mosquito-repellent?gad=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIks_N1ZysgAMVAuztCh1Rxg90EAAYASAAEgJt7fD_BwE

https://www.thermacell.com/products/backpacker-repeller

We did Ben Nevis a few years ago in August, to be honest , never encountered a mozzie, midges didnt appear to be a problem at sea level either until you got a bit of elevation.
Sounds weird I know , but as we got to around 1000ft , it was like attack of the midges , 2000ft , they were gone, summitted , then back down to 1000ft , and attacked again, my usual go to is Jungle formula , this had no effect on them !
A little old lady came up , offered us some cream , which stopped them dead, but Ive no idea what it was :lol:

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

We did Ben Nevis a few years ago in August, to be honest , never encountered a mozzie, midges didnt appear to be a problem at sea level either until you got a bit of elevation.
Sounds weird I know , but as we got to around 1000ft , it was like attack of the midges , 2000ft , they were gone, summitted , then back down to 1000ft , and attacked again, my usual go to is Jungle formula , this had no effect on them !
A little old lady came up , offered us some cream , which stopped them dead, but Ive no idea what it was :lol:

Smidge, possibly?

Can't really remember if we had any problem with the midges , but what I can remember was how nice the local people were , not sure what that main road is called when you first go into Fort William but we got B + B on the day as we never knew where we would end up on the day , as we were going through one big house still had the vacancies sign up , so I parked my motor and went to book a night up , knocked on the door and the lady said sorry she was now full and was about to turn the sign around , come in and I will ring around and see if I can find you somewhere , this she did and after ringing a few places we were fixed up for the night in a private home with again some lovely people , the scenery of Scotland was nice and so were the locals .

I go to Scotland at least once a year and have often in recent years been around Ft. William.  In well over 30 years of going - I have only had bad midges a very few times.  Often, there is a bit of a breeze (or a gale!) and that stops them.  They are only a problem when really still weather (in my experience).

Deet is horrible stuff and damages plastics and the coatings on lenses etc.  I have had reasonable success with the Avon 'Skin So Soft' stuff - which is at least quite pleasant to use.  I have found (when fishing) that a net/veil (a bit like a bee keepers) is the only real solution if they are really bad - and still they get your hands.

It is a very nice area around there, but weather is a bit of a lottery.

On 26/07/2023 at 12:04, Penelope said:

The mozzies may be ok, but the midges will be horrendous.

Life System deterrent, either 100 or 50% DEET. Be aware 100% DEET melts 

https://www.lifesystems.co.uk/products/insect-repellents/max-deet-mosquito-repellent?gad=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIks_N1ZysgAMVAuztCh1Rxg90EAAYASAAEgJt7fD_BwE

https://www.thermacell.com/products/backpacker-repeller

It also knackers fishing glasses  !   🙄

5 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I go to Scotland at least once a year and have often in recent years been around Ft. William.  In well over 30 years of going - I have only had bad midges a very few times.  Often, there is a bit of a breeze (or a gale!) and that stops them.  They are only a problem when really still weather (in my experience).

Deet is horrible stuff and damages plastics and the coatings on lenses etc.  I have had reasonable success with the Avon 'Skin So Soft' stuff - which is at least quite pleasant to use.  I have found (when fishing) that a net/veil (a bit like a bee keepers) is the only real solution if they are really bad - and still they get your hands.

It is a very nice area around there, but weather is a bit of a lottery.

last time we went it started raining on arrival and didint stop till we where on our way home think that was in september just make the best of it

5 minutes ago, terence said:

last time we went it started raining on arrival and didint stop till we where on our way home think that was in september just make the best of it

It has usually been September for me (used to walk up grouse when younger).  I have had about 30+ fair to good weather years .... and 2 'better forgotten' weather years.  West coast particularly can be wet, though usually relatively mild.