New Lab

I had a surprise addition to our pack last week (mix of Labs and Springers plus a crotchety old Patterdale). Unbeknown to me the family clubbed together and bought a smashing 8 week old Lab dog pup for my 65th birthday. The pup is mainly of Irish stock with a lot of red in his pedigree and is probably the boldest and smartest pup of his age I’ve had.

I’ve had a rubbish two or three years during which I was diagnosed with cancer (terminal diagnosis to start with), had hire a bit of aggressive chemo that thankfully put me into remission. I lost our then eldest Lab due to old age at the end of last year and tragically had to have my 7 year old ESS bitch PTS in March which even after owning dogs all my life was so very tough. I think I must be getting soft in my old age!

The new pup is a grand little fella although I have yet to settle on a name… but have a shortlist of about 30 possibles! 😂

IMG_0770.jpeg.43a2da0ebd30560519755bb6833299cc.jpeg

IMG_0797.jpeg.9376781c6646b85a7c26c6437a20d536.jpeg

Edited by Miserableolgit
Additional photo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, harkom said:

Good luck with the pup.

No doubt he will be castrated as part of the corrective measures ...and I sincerely hope that the breeder will do the right thing and make do recompense. 

Don’t they normally check em before they leave at 8 weeks?

I’m pretty sure both mine were there.

If not descended I wouldn’t leave it 6+ months, I’d have mentioned it at the time when collecting and if there was any come back on the breeder / price of the pup.  

On 19/12/2023 at 16:21, Miserableolgit said:

Six months old now and still no sign of his testicles so I foresee a trip to the vet  early in the new year, he does now have a fine set of second teeth though.

IMG_1760.jpeg.b166e15f71a3308e4e1f3f249c892b39.jpeg

He has picked up basic obedience training well, retrieves the occasional odd dummy to hand and has finally been accepted by our eldest Springer.

At six months his testicles should have dropped, its possible its hereditary but whatever the cause he needs to see a vet as there can be complications.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/12/2023 at 23:38, Lloyd90 said:

Don’t they normally check em before they leave at 8 weeks?

I’m pretty sure both mine were there.

If not descended I wouldn’t leave it 6+ months, I’d have mentioned it at the time when collecting and if there was any come back on the breeder / price of the pup.  

Usually drop by 2 months but in rare cases can take up to six months, a vet might tell you to wait and see for a bit after 2 months. As others have said though this does need looking at.

Either way the breeder should really make it right if there's a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update: One nut duly arrived in its allotted place but I couldn’t feel the other anywhere in the canal so had him into the vet a couple of weeks ago. She examined him but was a bit unsure and thought was due to the dog being a bit tense and tucked up. We agreed to wait a bit longer but to get the senior vet to examine him while she was at my place vaccinating some of our horses and one of our other Labs. Obviously the dog was a lot more relaxed on home territory so not tucked up. She found the missing testicle up in the canal - so a bit of progress. We are going to leave things as they are for a bit longer and hopefully nature will take its course - if not then he will be unzipped to remove the offending bits. 

IMG_2192.jpeg.b0f4f3c2baa5a96d4c55aa6c260f6dd6.jpeg