Simulated Game Day

discobob

I went on my first Simulated Game day yesterday. It was held at Melin-y-Wig and was run by Clay Pigeon Events. I have to say it was the most fun I have had with a gun since EBDR in the Army. 
The day was well run with 4 “flushes”  and shooting 2 separate pegs so each shooter shot 8 times

Food was good with plenty of drink and the weather was good

i will be going again for sure!!

We do 2 each year at Joe Nevilles, fair enough it's not really like a driven game day but it's a good day out shooting lot's of clay's and if you have a bit of a problem Joe will help you understand why it's good practice though ready for the game season. 

1 hour ago, B725 said:

We do 2 each year at Joe Nevilles, fair enough it's not really like a driven game day but it's a good day out shooting lot's of clay's and if you have a bit of a problem Joe will help you understand why it's good practice though ready for the game season. 

Yeah, been there, done that.

On 22/08/2023 at 09:37, B725 said:

Glad to hear Joe Neville is still going, he is probably one of the best Instructors I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. That was some 30 years ago.

• 4 months later...

I've now done quite a few sim days at a couple of places but to date my favourite is Six Mile Bottom on the Suffolk Cambridge border an incredible amount of fun and nobody minds if you pinch your neighbours birds ...infact that's one of the best bits about it 👌...DB

Agree that Six Mile Bottom is about as good as they come for sim days. They will set the clays according to how challenging you want them. High pheasant drive is my fave - but only after a nice grouse butt session to warm my ego!

5 hours ago, ehb102 said:

Agree that Six Mile Bottom is about as good as they come for sim days. They will set the clays according to how challenging you want them. High pheasant drive is my fave - but only after a nice grouse butt session to warm my ego!

Definitely Richard and his team are very good and without a doubt they'll everyone hitting clays by the end of the day 👍...

On 22/08/2023 at 08:56, London Best said:

It likely was a lot of fun but, trust me, it did not remotely simulate driven game shooting.

I'm sure they could stop the traps from working for at least 1 drive, to give more of a driven game shooting vibe when it just isn't working to plan? ;)

15 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

I'm sure they could stop the traps from working for at least 1 drive, to give more of a driven game shooting vibe when it just isn't working to plan? ;)

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

2 hours ago, HantsRob said:

😄 Yeah, or send the birds out of the side out of range. 👍

1 hour ago, HantsRob said:

Although I do not condemn sim game days, I just wish the style of shooting and behaviour remained there.

I had the misfortune to shoot on a driven GAME day recently, where 3 of the guns were extolling the virtues of sim game days. Unfortunately, they brought those experiences with them on a real game day, and even more unfortunately, I was pegged between 2 of them. Their behaviour and sportsmanship left a great deal to be desired. They were excellent shots, BUT extremely greedy. The range of their birds made no difference.  In fact I witnessed one of the highest birds I have seen killed this season, an excellent shot, for which the other guns, myself included, congratulated him. That was followed on a later drive by a bird that was less than 20 FEET away.  That bird was shot to pieces. Twice in the day I was covered in feathers from birds that had been shot far too close, possibly with tight chokes, but unfit to be eaten. This culminated in the day ending early, due to our having reached the bag. We would have done another drive, but i think the Keeper had seen enough. I have made the decision to end my game season early too, I will just stick with clays. I have almost 60 years game shooting experience and I am a game shooter, come clay shooter. I just do not like what I have witnessed on some shoots. Thankfully my faith was somewhat restored by 2 young shots who were also in attendance. Only 1 was shooting, and he was impeccable, both in dress and manners. The other young man could not do enough for some of the older guns, making their day more pleasurable. I hope they were not influenced in any way, by the behaviour of some of their peers. 

31 minutes ago, Westley said:

Although I do not condemn sim game days, I just wish the style of shooting and behaviour remained there.

Hey Westley,

My comment was made partly in jest, however I feel disappointed to read your words. That doesn't sound like behaviours that's suitable, in the same breath that I wouldn't expect a rough shooter to carry a loaded 3-shot around a clay ground either. That behaviour is disappointing at best, and frankly disgusting. I think that is an issue with specific shooters rather than a crossover.

Lets hope it's relatively isolated, but that is not good. I know SIM days I have been on have specifically said "this is NOT a game day so you can steal etc" and kind of set the scene that it isn't a game shoot, and is absolutely a clay day. But, it is a shame that people have been that greedy whilst attending.

Rob,

I have no problem with sim days whatsoever.  I have also Instructed at a lot of Stag and Hen days, where the entire day is about enjoyment, mine included. Likewise I will stuff driven grouse CLAYS at 20 feet, or bolting rabbits at 10 feet, on a clay ground. But I have the experience to be able to differentiate between, what are, entirely different days. I totally accept that nobody was born with a gun in their hands and we have ALL had to learn. I have also introduced a lot of people to game shooting too. I have taken them and tried to explain what has been happening and why, throughout the day. If, and most have, they come again, I ask them to spend the day in the beating line. This allows them to appreciate that without beaters, there is no shoot. The next step is to let them shoot the occasional drive, whilst keeping a very watchful eye on them. I then make sure they go and thank the beaters and dog persons for their efforts throughout the day too. I see these people making their own way in game shooting now, and feel that I did all I could to teach them enough to NOT disgrace themselves when shooting.

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I believe the word you are looking for is etiquette. 

Yes indeed, but if people are unable to differentiate between a glorified clay day and a live game shoot, they are unlikely to know the meaning of etiquette  ?