Locking fuel cap

ilovemyheckler

Having just taken delivery of a brand new vehicle I have noticed that the fuel cap doesn't have a lock on it band fuel cover flap does not connect to the central locking.

When I contacted the dealer I was told that this correct which means anyone can access my fuel tank and any time - fuel theft, nutters who are anti 4 x 4

Seems a bit strange to me

On 04/09/2023 at 11:21, ilovemyheckler said:

Having just taken delivery of a brand new vehicle I have noticed that the fuel cap doesn't have a lock on it band fuel cover flap does not connect to the central locking.

When I contacted the dealer I was told that this correct which means anyone can access my fuel tank and any time - fuel theft, nutters who are anti 4 x 4

Seems a bit strange to me

Does it have a little metal flap at the top of the hole/spout where you put the fuel nozzle in? If so have you tried pushing it open?   My motor has this and the only thing that will open it is a fuel nozzle or the manufacturer supplied funnel it’s otherwise “locked”  and doesn’t even have a fuel cap. 

1 hour ago, Robden said:

A friend's year oid Land Rover has saved him quite a lot of money, on fuel. It seems to spend most of it's time in the dealers garage for one thing or another.

He's trying to get it changed as it's "not fit for purpose".

Conversely, my wife has just run a Discovery Sport for three years without a single issue.