What thermal spotters are you guys using?

foxbuster

Evening all,

I'm looking at getting a new thermal spotter in the coming months. Would like some recommendations on what to get. Its pretty daunting looking at what's on offer!

Budget is around £1.5k. Predominantly for foxing, but would like to use it when on the the squizzers and also ratting with the air rifle. Not really concerned about all the bluetooth/recording etc software on some of the models, just want an easy to use, dependable unit that gives me good quarry id. 

12 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

I have used an XQ38F for a number of years, great units. I would go Pulsar and your budget will dictate which model you get.  Like you say all you need is to see things not  broadcast them to the moon. 

You get what you pay for with this stuff. Pulsar is tried and tested, quality kit. I would go second hand pulsar rather than some of the newer Chinese stuff any time. I have my second one of these. There are hundreds used on the cull for a reason. 

13 hours ago, foxbuster said:

Would I be able to differentiate between charlie and sheep easily out to 300 odd yards?

I have an Axion lrf, it's the gait that distinguishes the different quarry not so much the picture at distance. 

eg; badgers seem lower and kind of waddle around (although they do walk on raised legs at times).

Sheep don't move about with any intention, slow lazy grazers. 

Fox always seem to be on a mission, they have a place to get to. 

A flock of Sheep will stand still and all look in the same direction if there's a fox in the field. 

Raise your budget by a bit and get a rangefinder incorporated with the spotter. They are very good, accurate and take the guess work out specially at night. 

4 hours ago, oowee said:

You get what you pay for with this stuff. Pulsar is tried and tested, quality kit. I would go second hand pulsar rather than some of the newer Chinese stuff any time. I have my second one of these. There are hundreds used on the cull for a reason. 

Personally I think Hik are taking over the market from Pulsar ..watch this space.

Thanks guys. I'll be eating beans on toast for the foreseeable as its a huge chunk of money for me! As I was also looking at day/night scopes to mount on one of the air rifles for rats and squirrels, when I saw the package deal saving I thought it made sense-just don't tell the missus 🤐 

I currently use a pard007 for night shooting (which I rate highly when used with a Black Sun IR Illuminator) that I clip to the rimfires and 250. Along with the use of the FH35 I hope to be able to increase my ability to catch up with the more skittish foxes. Have used a hand held nv spotter for years and know for certain that the display shining back in my face has spooked a lot of foxes. 

3 minutes ago, foxbuster said:

Thanks guys. I'll be eating beans on toast for the foreseeable as its a huge chunk of money for me! As I was also looking at day/night scopes to mount on one of the air rifles for rats and squirrels, when I saw the package deal saving I thought it made sense-just don't tell the missus 🤐 

I currently use a pard007 for night shooting (which I rate highly when used with a Black Sun IR Illuminator) that I clip to the rimfires and 250. Along with the use of the FH35 I hope to be able to increase my ability to catch up with the more skittish foxes. Have used a hand held nv spotter for years and know for certain that the display shining back in my face has spooked a lot of foxes. 

The FH35 display still lights up your face but it has a very easy standby function to use.

On 28/09/2023 at 21:21, foxbuster said:

Would I be able to differentiate between charlie and sheep easily out to 300 odd yards?

Doesn't matter  what you can distinguish when spotting it's about what scope you are shooting with to distinguish what you are shooting at I use an ATN Mars scope to spot with 

Received the apex and fh35 today (unbeknown to Mrs Jones🤐). Not had time to unbox the apex and suss it out but got the fh35 up and running...…WOW! Now admittedly I haven't tried anything else to compare it with, but to say I think its the dogs danglies  is an understatement! Was watching mice running about the field earlier!

Now I've heard the phrase 'game-changer' thrown about when it comes to thermal many times, but really can see why now! Cant wait to get out and use it properly. Proper chuffed with it!😀

On 28/09/2023 at 21:22, matone said:

Used a Pulsar XM30f quite a bit now and don`t think you would need more for foxing. Also have a Guide TD210 which is very good for a budget piece,especially for rimfire use etc.

I can't justify the cost of a Pulsar (as much as I'd like one) and I keep coming back to the Guide.

How do you rate it in comparison?

Also interested in anyone else's experience using a budget (sub £1k) spotter. 

Apologies for late response ! The Guide is excellent for spec,gives  clear image of rabbits out to 150,foxes 200 yds ish depending on the atmospherics .Rat sized stuff you need to be much closer. Sheep/deer/cattle are id able far beyond shooting ranges,as others have said movement comfirms it usually. The unit scans well too ,with only very occasional freezes. Batteries last a long time (18650) probably 3.5 hrs continuos use and are easily changed if the dark !

The Pulsar is better by a magnitude ,foxes out to5/600 yds,larger stuff probably twice that . Depends what you wish to spend really .Hth

On 05/10/2023 at 21:16, Wymondley said:

I can't justify the cost of a Pulsar (as much as I'd like one) and I keep coming back to the Guide.

How do you rate it in comparison?

Also interested in anyone else's experience using a budget (sub £1k) spotter. 

i used one of these other night as my mate wanted me to try it out i shot 3 foxes using it they was easy to identify out to about 500 yards but i have been using Thermal to spot and shoot with for at least 10 yrs    for the money it was a good bit of kit for a starter   YA0763:27001642-6099123b1e5c8

19 hours ago, matone said:

Apologies for late response ! The Guide is excellent for spec,gives  clear image of rabbits out to 150,foxes 200 yds ish depending on the atmospherics .Rat sized stuff you need to be much closer. Sheep/deer/cattle are id able far beyond shooting ranges,as others have said movement comfirms it usually. The unit scans well too ,with only very occasional freezes. Batteries last a long time (18650) probably 3.5 hrs continuos use and are easily changed if the dark !

The Pulsar is better by a magnitude ,foxes out to5/600 yds,larger stuff probably twice that . Depends what you wish to spend really .Hth

No need to apologise, thanks for replying, that's really useful.

Fox to 200yrds would do me.

3 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

i used one of these other night as my mate wanted me to try it out i shot 3 foxes using it they was easy to identify out to about 500 yards but i have been using Thermal to spot and shoot with for at least 10 yrs    for the money it was a good bit of kit for a starter   YA0763:27001642-6099123b1e5c8

I was looking at these, but the thing that put me off was the built in battery.

I notice there is another thread been started by someone with just that issue.

1 hour ago, Wymondley said:

No need to apologise, thanks for replying, that's really useful.

Fox to 200yrds would do me.

I was looking at these, but the thing that put me off was the built in battery.

I notice there is another thread been started by someone with just that issue.

This series uses external batteries image.png.bfdb7ed46dcb5cb39214caab17c4a4e4.png