And we worry about seals.

Penelope

Poor dog,and sounds like a disturbing experience for the fowler involved.

Incidentally the very first time I saw a picture of a CBR ''Over 30 yr's ago'' in a sporting magazine, the article was about shooting sea ducks in North America on a coastal inlet, where it stated that the dogs ran the risk of getting attacked by killer whale's. I still have that magazine somewhere.

Common harbor seals typically do not pose a threat or attack dogs unless they feel threatened or cornered. Harbor seals are generally shy and avoid interactions with humans or other animals. However, it's important to keep in mind that wild animals can be unpredictable, and each situation may vary. It's always a good idea to keep dogs on a leash in areas where seals are known to be present and to maintain a safe distance to prevent any potential conflicts.
This message has been generated by Nova - download it for free:
https://novaappai.page.link/wp3fKzbNrLTGFh5r6

I've seen some big seals basking on the mud off Shepps, I wouldn't take the risk with any.

Swimming with my son off Pakefield in the summer when a big beggar popped up two foot from us in some rough water!!! Nearly ran across the water to get out!! They can get grumpy. 

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/surfers-leg-snapped-two-seal-26398362.amp

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/local-news/seal-attack-south-west-coast-8143735.amp

Plenty of people get bitten by seals in sea around Brixham. We swim at fishcombe Cove all year round and I know of two people bitten this year.

The bites are bad for the infection caused. We often have them swim over when we are in with our dog. If they come close we feel obliged to get out. 

We have got quite a big colony of Seals just up the coast at Horsey and yet on our estuary we very rarely see one , the numbers of Seals are huge and in the 2019 - 2020 breeding season some 2069 were born so you can see they could be quite a problem , at the moment they are a attraction rather than a concern  , maybe not a problem to us but I would have thought the inshore fishermen around these parts wouldn't agree with them not being pain in the back side . 

22 hours ago, Pushandpull said:

The seals you see in the Wash are nearly all Common (Harbour) Seals. Grey Seals (nearest colony is at Blakeney Point) are bigger and come ashore to breed. The males are territorial and aggressive towards each other and I guess anything which looks a bit like them.

Blakeney Point is in the Wash. I do know that Greys are commonly seen along Fenland and Holbeach's ground. MOre so north of the Nene outfall, as there are far more major creeks.

On 06/11/2023 at 09:55, Pushandpull said:

I don't want to get in a silly argument but there is no way that Blakeney Point is in the Wash. Furthermore virtually all of the Wash is north of the Nene outfall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wash

The Wash makes a large indentation in the coastline of Eastern England that separates the curved coast of East Anglia from Lincolnshire. It is a large bay with three roughly straight sides meeting at right angles, each about 15 miles (25 kilometres) in length. The eastern coast of the Wash is entirely within Norfolk, and extends from a point a little north of Hunstanton in the north to the mouth of the River Great Ouse at King's Lynn in the south. The opposing coast, which is roughly parallel to the east coast, runs from Gibraltar Point to the mouth of the River Welland, all within Lincolnshire. The southern coast runs roughly north-west to south-east, connecting these two river mouths and is punctuated by the mouth of a third river, the River Nene.

Edited by Penelope

9 minutes ago, Pushandpull said:

Good old Wikipedia. It doesn't alter the geography though and Blakeney is still twenty odd miles east of Hunstanton, while the only bit of the Wash south of the Nene Outfall is a small area of the Lynn river mouth adjacent to Vinegar Middle.

https://www.google.com/search?q=map+of+the+wash+uk&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB885GB885&oq=map+of+the+Wash&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgCEAAYgAQyBwgAEAAYgAQyBwgBEAAYgAQyBwgCEAAYgAQyBwgDEAAYgAQyBwgEEAAYgAQyBwgFEAAYgAQyBwgGEAAYgAQ