32g 16 bore load needed - Fibre wad only

Ian Charlton of clay and game did some wad and crimp comparisons all using the same primer and powder shot   fibre  load compared against the same load in plastic wad's

and substituting overpowder card with fibre wad instead of gas seal/plastic wad the load's could be as much as 200 bar lower in pressure than the more effective modern plastic wad combination , You could load up using the 32 gram powder load for plastic wad's but use o/p card and fibre wad and send them to clay and game for pressure testing to be sure of the safety of the load.

On 29/10/2023 at 21:09, Mr grumpy said:

32 grams,is that not too heavy for a 16?

No. It's the standard 1 1/8 ounce load in the Eley 16 bore 2 3/4" Alphamax. Odd to say I was actually just yesterday looking at the Alliant website for such loads. For my Browning A-5 in 16 bore as below. And I also had at one time a pair for 16 bore single trigger self opener sidelock ejectors with 2 3/4" chambers. They were about 6lbs 12 ounces. But that with 29" barrels and 16" length of pull stocks and Holland and Holland self opening compressor under the forend. In 12 bore that length barrel and that length stock and the compressors would have resulted in a gun weighing easily over 7lbs 4ounces. So in fact a 2 3/4" 16 bore with capable of firing 32 grams makes sense if you are trying to have long barrels and a long stock and yet keep the wight under 7lbs. However all the loads also were for an SP16 plaswad. I'll have a look in a Hodgdon manual I have tomorrow.

A51963.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

Hi enfield spares,

To quote "Homeloader" from the shooting times - "with the standard load when using using all plastic wads the powder charge should be reduced by 10% to ensure that pressures remain within the safe service limit".

You could do the opposite, if wishing to use a felt/fibre wad rather than a plaswad as per the load data.

Regards,

Davo.