Air pistols made to look like firearms

old'un

3 hours ago, Scully said:

I don’t mind how realistic imitation or airguns look, compared to the real thing.
If someone goes out with the intention of scaring someone into believing they are facing the real thing, then the wielder deserves everything they get. 

This ^^^^

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, oowee said:

This ^^^^

and this

I guess the question then is why do they need to be made to look like the real thing? They are far easer to obtain by youngsters and if with a bit of bravado they take them on the street to show off, without criminal intent, there's a chance they may end up getting shot by the police because they look so realistic.

7 hours ago, old'un said:

and this

I guess the question then is why do they need to be made to look like the real thing? They are far easer to obtain by youngsters and if with a bit of bravado they take them on the street to show off, without criminal intent, there's a chance they may end up getting shot by the police because they look so realistic.

The intent may not be there, but the criminality is, as well as the stupidly.

15 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

To my knowledge blank firing guns are orange or blue but the criminal fraternity paint them black and convert them to fire live rounds.

If I had a gun pointed at me after giving warnings I would double tap, that’s the job.

Exactly don't give them reason to shoot you in the first place its common sense well not that common as we all know 

9 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

Realistic imitation firearms use to play war games shooting plastic BBs require you to be a member of a war game ground before you can own them otherwise they must be a certain colour like red or yellow, yet anybody over 18 can buy a realistic imitation airgun.  More of are quirky laws.

Really? Got a link to this legislation? My kids and their friends used to run around in my garden blatting each other with very realistic BB guns. 

19 hours ago, old'un said:

and this

I guess the question then is why do they need to be made to look like the real thing? 

As I’ve said, to appeal to potential buyers and boost sales. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Really? Got a link to this legislation? My kids and their friends used to run around in my garden blatting each other with very realistic BB guns. 

As I’ve said, to appeal to potential buyers and boost sales. 

No expert on it try

The Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 (Realistic Imitation Firearms) Regulations 2007

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/2606/introduction/made

RIFs are less than 1.2 joule energy used in war games. Calling them weapons is a little over the top, airguns can look like real guns, typical stupid gun laws.

Airsoft guns are usually modelled on real guns and so are very very realistic looking. Sometimes it is difficult to distinguish between a real gun and an airsoft gun. The giveaway is the diameter of the barrel though. Airsoft guns have a 6mm bore, no matter what the style. Airsoft guns come under the Real Imitation Firearms laws due to their realistic nature. So a legal defence is needed to buy them. Airguns, on the other hand, look like….airguns. They are easy to differentiate from real guns.

Why is it Difficult to buy an RIF?

In 2006 the Violent Crimes Reduction Act was passed and, as part of this change in the law, airsoft guns were categorised as ‘Realistic Imitation Firearms’ or ‘RIFs’ for short.

The definition of an RIF is as follows:

“an imitation firearm which has an appearance that is so realistic as to make it indistinguishable, for all practical purposes, from a real firearm”.

This has made it much harder to obtain these types of weapons and has forced some manufacturers to convert many of their products to fit the classification of a different weapon group; Imitation Firearms (IF).

The differentiating factor between an RIF and an IF is that the latter group must be primarily covered in a bright and unrealistic colour (these are commonly bright red or bright blue).

Buying Criteria

Whilst there is not currently a licensing scheme involved in the trade of airsoft guns, players must obtain a ‘defence’ in order to complete their purchase.

A defence is a condition or set of conditions which, when met, allows as person to avoid prosecution from a specific crime which, in this case, is the purchasing of an RIF.

Whilst there are no government-confirmed rules placed upon airsoft players, the following are some of the criteria which you may commonly encounter when attempting to buy yours first airsoft gun:

• Players must be aged 18 or over
  • New players are often required to play a minimum of 3 skirmishes at a registered airsoft site in a period of no longer than 2 months to prove they are regular players in the sport
  • Some retailers may require prospective buyers to be members of established clubs such as UKARA, British Airsoft Club or SWAT PASS

Take note that, whilst the information above will cover the majority of purchasing scenarios, the decision is ultimately made at the retailer’s discretion, as it is these companies who are responsible for the distribution of RIFs.

In the unfortunate case a person is not accepted as having a defence, it may be possible to obtain one of the aforementioned two tone IF weapons instead.

Whilst this provides an excellent plan B if you are not able to meet to criteria for an actual RIF, is important to be aware that it is illegal to modify the appearance of these products to  replicate the aesthetics of an RIF and you must, therefore, keep the weapon in its original condition to maintain legality.

For both RIFs and IFs it is also illegal to display them outside of an adequately protective box in a public place, however, it is completely permitted on a private property such as an airsoft skirmish site or your own home.

Whilst it is certainly much harder to obtain an airsoft RIF than it was previously, the rules set in place are ultimately intended to protect the public by reducing the likelihood of weapons falling into criminal hands and being used for illicit purposes.

For players over the age of 18, playing regular airsoft at licensed airsoft sites and obtaining membership to UKARA or another similar organisation will certainly help increase your chances of successfully obtaining an RIF.

In addition, two tone weapons and on-site rentals are in place to ensure players who do not currently fulfil the prerequisites are still able to enjoy the sport with their fellow teammates.

Edited by rbrowning2

2 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

No expert on it try

The Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 (Realistic Imitation Firearms) Regulations 2007

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/2606/introduction/made

RIFs are less than 1.2 joule energy used in war games. Calling them weapons is a little over the top, airguns can look like real guns, typical stupid gun laws.

Airsoft guns are usually modelled on real guns and so are very very realistic looking. Sometimes it is difficult to distinguish between a real gun and an airsoft gun. The giveaway is the diameter of the barrel though. Airsoft guns have a 6mm bore, no matter what the style. Airsoft guns come under the Real Imitation Firearms laws due to their realistic nature. So a legal defence is needed to buy them. Airguns, on the other hand, look like….airguns. They are easy to differentiate from real guns.

Why is it Difficult to buy an RIF?

In 2006 the Violent Crimes Reduction Act was passed and, as part of this change in the law, airsoft guns were categorised as ‘Realistic Imitation Firearms’ or ‘RIFs’ for short.

The definition of an RIF is as follows:

“an imitation firearm which has an appearance that is so realistic as to make it indistinguishable, for all practical purposes, from a real firearm”.

This has made it much harder to obtain these types of weapons and has forced some manufacturers to convert many of their products to fit the classification of a different weapon group; Imitation Firearms (IF).

The differentiating factor between an RIF and an IF is that the latter group must be primarily covered in a bright and unrealistic colour (these are commonly bright red or bright blue).

Buying Criteria

Whilst there is not currently a licensing scheme involved in the trade of airsoft guns, players must obtain a ‘defence’ in order to complete their purchase.

A defence is a condition or set of conditions which, when met, allows as person to avoid prosecution from a specific crime which, in this case, is the purchasing of an RIF.

Whilst there are no government-confirmed rules placed upon airsoft players, the following are some of the criteria which you may commonly encounter when attempting to buy yours first airsoft gun:

• Players must be aged 18 or over
  • New players are often required to play a minimum of 3 skirmishes at a registered airsoft site in a period of no longer than 2 months to prove they are regular players in the sport
  • Some retailers may require prospective buyers to be members of established clubs such as UKARA, British Airsoft Club or SWAT PASS

Take note that, whilst the information above will cover the majority of purchasing scenarios, the decision is ultimately made at the retailer’s discretion, as it is these companies who are responsible for the distribution of RIFs.

In the unfortunate case a person is not accepted as having a defence, it may be possible to obtain one of the aforementioned two tone IF weapons instead.

Whilst this provides an excellent plan B if you are not able to meet to criteria for an actual RIF, is important to be aware that it is illegal to modify the appearance of these products to  replicate the aesthetics of an RIF and you must, therefore, keep the weapon in its original condition to maintain legality.

For both RIFs and IFs it is also illegal to display them outside of an adequately protective box in a public place, however, it is completely permitted on a private property such as an airsoft skirmish site or your own home.

Whilst it is certainly much harder to obtain an airsoft RIF than it was previously, the rules set in place are ultimately intended to protect the public by reducing the likelihood of weapons falling into criminal hands and being used for illicit purposes.

For players over the age of 18, playing regular airsoft at licensed airsoft sites and obtaining membership to UKARA or another similar organisation will certainly help increase your chances of successfully obtaining an RIF.

In addition, two tone weapons and on-site rentals are in place to ensure players who do not currently fulfil the prerequisites are still able to enjoy the sport with their fellow teammates.

Sorry, but I’m still struggling to find any legislation regarding either the buying, possession or use of air soft/realistic imitation firearms. 
All mine were bought simply by telling the retailer ‘I’ll have that one please’ and then paying for it. 🤷‍♂️

27 minutes ago, Scully said:

Sorry, but I’m still struggling to find any legislation regarding either the buying, possession or use of air soft/realistic imitation firearms. 
All mine were bought simply by telling the retailer ‘I’ll have that one please’ and then paying for it. 🤷‍♂️

The legislation is

However it is for the seller to comply with to ensure the buyer has a defence in law to purchase the air soft realistic firearm otherwise the seller is breaking the law.

air guns are not covered by the act.

9 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

The legislation is

However it is for the seller to comply with to ensure the buyer has a defence in law to purchase the air soft realistic firearm otherwise the seller is breaking the law.

air guns are not covered by the act.

Ok. Must admit I’m still struggling to see how any of that ( Buying Criteria ) restricts anyone over the age of 18 obtaining one! 
There must be loads of Dads out there buying them for their kids, as I did. 
Am off out, but later on I’ll post pics of two I still have; when it comes to realistic they’re the dogs dangly bits! 

17 minutes ago, Scully said:

Ok. Must admit I’m still struggling to see how any of that ( Buying Criteria ) restricts anyone over the age of 18 obtaining one! 
There must be loads of Dads out there buying them for their kids, as I did. 
Am off out, but later on I’ll post pics of two I still have; when it comes to realistic they’re the dogs dangly bits! 

If the gun is two tone anyone over 18 can buy one , if the gun is the same colour as the real thing for example black then you need the "defence" of membership to a skirmish site etc etc.

7 hours ago, sportsbob said:

If the gun is two tone anyone over 18 can buy one , if the gun is the same colour as the real thing for example black then you need the "defence" of membership to a skirmish site etc etc.

It’s certainly news to me; have never been asked if I’m a ‘skirmisher’ or any other type of raider whenever I’ve bought one! 🙂

39 minutes ago, Scully said:

It’s certainly news to me; have never been asked if I’m a ‘skirmisher’ or any other type of raider whenever I’ve bought one! 🙂

Just my opinion, but as far as I am concerned these ‘skirmishing’ pastimes, war games, etc have absolutely nothing to do with shooting and field sports.

On 04/11/2023 at 16:24, Scully said:

The Two tone law only covers 6mm airsoft guns, if it fires 4.5mm steel BB`s or lead pellets then it is an air pistol and you only needed to satisfy the seller you are over 18. Recently it is also a requirement that the selling RFD takes verifiable details to prove you are over 18, so Photo ID with proof of address etc is needed.

On 04/11/2023 at 16:07, rbrowning2 said:

Think that is incorrect the law only mentions the person selling, nothing about by way of trade.

more hear

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/36

lots of information on

https://airsoft-forums.uk

You may be correct , however further on in the law where it describes the legal defence for selling such items there is mention of "trade or business" which is where I took the understanding that a private seller is not acting as a business.

1 hour ago, sportsbob said:

The Two tone law only covers 6mm airsoft guns, if it fires 4.5mm steel BB`s or lead pellets then it is an air pistol and you only needed to satisfy the seller you are over 18. Recently it is also a requirement that the selling RFD takes verifiable details to prove you are over 18, so Photo ID with proof of address etc is needed.

No idea to be honest. The two I have are very realistic and both fire steel and plastic pellets through steel barrels. My son has a Beretta, also very realistic. All are powered by gas. 
I bought them when my kids were small ( they are now 26 and 24 ) and my son and his mates used to run around outside shooting at each other, which is why I had so many pairs of ‘Paslode’ glasses around the house. 

21 hours ago, Scully said:

No idea to be honest. The two I have are very realistic and both fire steel and plastic pellets through steel barrels. My son has a Beretta, also very realistic. All are powered by gas. 
I bought them when my kids were small ( they are now 26 and 24 ) and my son and his mates used to run around outside shooting at each other, which is why I had so many pairs of ‘Paslode’ glasses around the house. 

The law was changed in 2006

4 hours ago, sportsbob said:

The law was changed in 2006

I bought mine prior to that date with the exception of the Beretta, which my son has. He was 10 in 2010 so it will have been later than that when him and his mates used to run around shooting each other. None of the neighbours seemed to mind. 

19 hours ago, Scully said:

I bought mine prior to that date with the exception of the Beretta, which my son has. He was 10 in 2010 so it will have been later than that when him and his mates used to run around shooting each other. None of the neighbours seemed to mind. 

If the Beretta fires 6mm plastic BB`s and is not two tone the shop that sold it was at fault, if it fires 4.5mm steel BB`s then they were not. You can also get plastic and fragmentable BB`s in 4.5mm as an alternative to steel. The calibre of the gun is the governing factor.

On 10/11/2023 at 10:06, sportsbob said:

If the Beretta fires 6mm plastic BB`s and is not two tone the shop that sold it was at fault, if it fires 4.5mm steel BB`s then they were not. You can also get plastic and fragmentable BB`s in 4.5mm as an alternative to steel. The calibre of the gun is the governing factor.

Can’t recall what if fires but it’s not two tone; it is a very realistic replica. 

On 02/11/2023 at 17:34, Scully said:

I suppose they’re made so realistic so they have more appeal to a buyer. 

It’s the same with gaming; the more realistic the footage the more the appeal. 
As a kid I know I would be more apt to choose the toy pistol that looked like the real thing rather than one which didn’t. 

Exactly.