Napoleon.

Penelope

Being interested in the Napoleonic wars, Wellington and Napoleon, I had been eagerly awaiting the release of Ridley Scott's epic about him.

Sadly, I thought it was very poor, more about Napoleon simping for Josephine than anything else.

Nothing about his strategic brilliance. The invasion of Russia and the subsequent horror of the withdrawal was glossed over. No Ney, Soult, Gruche, Douro (French Marshals). As for the battle of Waterloo, an absolute travesty.

So for anyone looking to go to the Cinema and see it, particularly if you know something of the period, the man and his campaigns, don't bother. Wait until it comes on TV or streaming sites.

Edited by Penelope

the word on the street is

"if you are going to make a film about a historical figure that so much written /recorded material is available.....then use the truth and fact dont make things up or change things" 

there was a film a while ago about the retrival of an Enigma machine from a German U-Boat ....errr U571 ?..........................it was a BRITISH operation...but was portrayed as an American heroic sucess...................it was so inacurate that a message from Westminster to the American ambassadour was sent.....and as a result a sentance in the credits had to be added to the film acknowledging the truth...........

8 minutes ago, ditchman said:

"if you are going to make a film about a historical figure that so much written /recorded material is available.....then use the truth and fact dont make things up or change things" 

there was a film a while ago about the retrival of an Enigma machine from a German U-Boat ....errr U571 ?..........................it was a BRITISH operation...but was portrayed as an American heroic sucess...................it was so inacurate that a message from Westminster to the American ambassadour was sent.....and as a result a sentance in the credits had to be added to the film acknowledging the truth...........

Yes, I remember that and never watched the film because of it.

I have placed my hand on his chair and writing desk that he took with him when he was exiled to St Helena. Tried to get some of that 'Napoleon VIbe' :lol:

By account our great lord Nelson knew strategically that we would be stuffed trying to engage the frenchies on land, the english being the superior naval strength, we took to the water, and gave them 'a good old drubbing' at Trafalgar.

Jolly good!

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

Being interested in the Napoleonic wars, Wellington and Napoleon, I had been eagerly awaiting the release of Ridley Scott's epic about him.

Sadly, I thought it was very poor, more about Napoleon simping for Josephine than anything else.

Nothing about his strategic brilliance. The invasion of Russia and the subsequent horror of the withdrawal was glossed over. No Ney, Soult, Gruche, Douro (French Marshals). As for the battle of Waterloo, an absolute travesty.

So for anyone looking to go to the Cinema and see it, particularly if you know something of the period, the man and his campaigns, don't bother. Wait until it comes on TV or streaming sites.

Gutted, I've seen several clips and thought it looked good, but you want it to be accurate,  I can except things being glossed over from the Roman period or Ghengis Khan,  but not something as well documented as Napoleon. 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Gutted, I've seen several clips and thought it looked good, but you want it to be accurate,  I can except things being glossed over from the Roman period or Ghengis Khan,  but not something as well documented as Napoleon. 

Exactement!! Merde!!

5 hours ago, Mice! said:

is that Sadiq Khan's grand-dad ?

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Look on the bright side, at least they didnt cast Idris Elba in the lead role for wokey points, great actor as he is. 

There was a token.

I'm really looking forward to the remake of Shaka, staring Ryan Gosling in the lead role as the founder of the Zulu empire.

Edited by Penelope

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

Like Errol Flynn in the film Operation Burma and William Holden in Bridge Over The River Kwai it's being going along a long time. Even Master And Commander has the enemy as a different flagged ship.

Edited by enfieldspares

38 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

And Alec Guinness as King Faisal of Syria.

The worst one ....and i mean tosay THE WORST PORTRAYL OF A HISTORIC FIGURE..................(this isa top trumps moment)

JOHN WAYNE as Gengis Khan...........................the film and he was truly awful....anyone saw the film ?

2 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Oh Lord DITCHMAN and TIGHTCHOKE! It is truly awful! I've just searched it, here's a link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/badMovies/comments/r02xfm/one_of_the_most_miscast_movies_western_star_john/

it does come on TV now and again.....you must watch it when it does......total cringfest............how he could take himself seriously with that bloody moustashe,,,,,,,,well i never

47 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Yet Rod Steiger's Napoleon was very good I thought.

certainly agree with you

10 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Tit for tat, we did cast laurence olivier as the Sudanese mahdi once 🤣

True. Alex Guiness was a Arab King, too, of course.

7 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Yet Rod Steiger's Napoleon was very good I thought.

Far, far better than Joaquin Phoenix, that's for sure. Christopher Plummer was a better Arthur Wellesley than Rupert Everett is, too.

Edited by Penelope