28ga recommendation

Cjbram

I have a KOFS Sceptre in 28 gauge. From new it was less than £400. I'm sure you could pick up a lightly used example for under £300. 

It looks ok on the outside and has yet to fail to fire which is good enough for a gun that I use 2-3 times a year at most. 

Being a budget Turkish gun it obviously has signs of cost cutting if you look for them. The underside of the ejectors are roughly machined, it has an alloy action rather than a steel action and the barrels are coated rather than blued.  

A more traditionally manufactured gun like a Lincoln will set you back close to £1000 but will be better quality. 

16 hours ago, Cjbram said:

Going to try the hull high pheasant 23g #7and #6

You won’t need anything else! Fired a fair few thousand of these through mine on pigeons and it absolutely flattens them with barely any recoil. 5’s are very effective too, what I would use on pheasants. 
I’ve got a beretta silver pigeon, lovely light little gun…..a pleasure to shoot all day! 
Enjoy your 28 bore experience 👍🏼

1 hour ago, Yellowvanman said:

Because the gun is 2lb lighter and when you get to my age that makes a big difference walking around. 

One could say why shoot light loads from a 12? 

I would say that is pointless

Can understand using one for its lighter weight, I don’t need one for that but they’re a joy to shoot. 
Personally wouldn’t and don’t think you need to stuff a 28g load through them but personal preference I suppose…..see plenty of guys pillow casing 30 yard pheasants with 36g 4’s etc so I guess that’s the same 😂

I have to say I'd love a 28 gauge I'd probably also use the high pheasant  23 grm no 7 .as they are mustard in .my .410 ou at 18 grm of no 7 .  That extra bit more lead of 5 grms would probably give me another 5 yds range over the .410 and be all the gun I could ever need for my shooting .

It's just the price and availability  of carts and an inpending lead ban that puts me off .

3 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I have to say I'd love a 28 gauge I'd probably also use the high pheasant  23 grm no 7 .as they are mustard in .my .410 ou at 18 grm of no 7 .  That extra bit more lead of 5 grms would probably give me another 5 yds range over the .410 and be all the gun I could ever need for my shooting .

It's just the price and availability  of carts and an inpending lead ban that puts me off .

Just got back from picking it up got some 23g #6 for now 

21 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I was amazed at how much more gun the  28g feels over the .410 and only use the high pheasant 23g shells.
I only use mine on pigeons but at normal ranges out to 35/40 yards it really does kill like a 12 bore, and plenty of longer ones. Shot several 200 odd days with it this year and it’s so soft to shoot there’s zero fatigue either. 
The lead ban and price of cartridges is an issue to be fair, I order in a thousand or two at a time if they haven’t got any but they’ve gone up a lot in the few years I’ve been using one so I still use the 12 bore a fair bit too. 

On 15/12/2023 at 09:18, London Best said:

Some folk really do have no idea.

They really don’t do they. Online / marketing of the super hot game shells has a lot to do with it, people are convinced into thinking they won’t be able to kill anything with less than the punchiest most expensive 32/4/6 gram etc etc. 

The standard load for an English 28 bore, 2 1/2 inch, 65mm game gun was 9/16 to 5/8 ounce, 16 to 18 grams. 
The standard American load for a 2 3/4 inch, 70mm gun was 3/4 ounce, 21 grams. 
It is only since the comparatively recent development of modern powders that it has become possible to stuff even heavier loads through the little guns, which are having to be made heavier to keep recoil down to acceptable levels using an ounce of shot. The correct weight for an English 28 bore was 5 pounds.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

The standard load for an English 28 bore, 2 1/2 inch, 65mm game gun was 9/16 to 5/8 ounce, 16 to 18 grams. 
The standard American load for a 2 3/4 inch, 70mm gun was 3/4 ounce, 21 grams. 
It is only since the comparatively recent development of modern powders that it has become possible to stuff even heavier loads through the little guns, which are having to be made heavier to keep recoil down to acceptable levels using an ounce of shot. The correct weight for an English 28 bore was 5 pounds.

Re your posts this thread - nothing to shoot and besides the COPD has me and I'm bored - all are spot on.

Your 5lb gun and 5/8 ounce at a sedate 1250 at the muzzle has 9.8 ft/sec recoil velocity and 7.5 ftlbs recoil energy.

A 6lb gun and the 1 ounce at 1400 (slow from some loaders) at the muzzle has 14.6 and 19.9 respectively.

I've only used the base load weight for ease of calculation - those figures would rise if all the ejecta was included.

For comfort the recommended/suggested max' is 10ft/sec and 15 ftlbs for a good session. 

37 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Re your posts this thread - nothing to shoot and besides the COPD has me and I'm bored - all are spot on.

Your 5lb gun and 5/8 ounce at a sedate 1250 at the muzzle has 9.8 ft/sec recoil velocity and 7.5 ftlbs recoil energy.

A 6lb gun and the 1 ounce at 1400 (slow from some loaders) at the muzzle has 14.6 and 19.9 respectively.

I've only used the base load weight for ease of calculation - those figures would rise if all the ejecta was included.

For comfort the recommended/suggested max' is 10ft/sec and 15 ftlbs for a good session. 

Very, very few shotgun cartridges achieve 1400fps. 
1280 is nearer the mark for the vast majority I believe.

26 minutes ago, London Best said:

Very, very few shotgun cartridges achieve 1400fps. 
1280 is nearer the mark for the vast majority I believe.

My figures are MV0 not the more usual MV1. However even at 1300 that's pushing it - and that's without all of the ejecta which would take things up to the more usually quoted 15 ft/sec and 24 ftlbs

• 3 weeks later...

nothing wrong with the little 28g i had a lincoln premier gold 32" and that could smoke any clay on any ground i went to.did impress a crowd on one stand with it at coleys,they could not believe it was a 28g untill i showed them the carts.at the same ground on the longest highest clay i also had my best results with it.