Bad start to 2024

Rupert

Read last night Beverley to close in the middle of the year, viability issues, real loss for the region and Shooters, Kegworth forced to be Fibre only by landlord effective immediately. 

This is the death knell for Registered shoots there.

Just seen on the Shoot Clay forum that the East Yorkshire Shooting Ground at Bygot Wood near Beverley is to close in June this year.

This news has deeply saddened me as it was my favourite shooting ground and, I believe, was one of the oldest in the country.

I believe the issue is restrictions being applied to the lease. I do not know the exact details, but I believe that complaints about noise are in the mix.

Sounds like the woke townie brigade are getting their way yet again and destroying the fun that many people have enjoyed for many decades.

Bill Walker will be turning in his grave at this sad news.

5 hours ago, Rupert said:

Read last night Beverley to close in the middle of the year, viability issues, real loss for the region and Shooters, Kegworth forced to be Fibre only by landlord effective immediately. 

This is the death knell for Registered shoots there.

Do you mean the ,'death knell' is due to having to use fibre wads  ? 

If so, why ? There have been plenty of registered shoots at Manchester shooting ground and they are fibre wads only. If everyone is using fibre wads, what is the problem  ?

On 06/01/2024 at 22:25, Westley said:

Do you mean the ,'death knell' is due to having to use fibre wads  ? 

If so, why ? There have been plenty of registered shoots at Manchester shooting ground and they are fibre wads only. If everyone is using fibre wads, what is the problem  ?

Look at the turn out at MCSC, then look at the old Kegworth numbers,At Orston on Sunday 180 plus. The numbers will drop massively as the hard core CPSA Registered shooters will move on.

30 minutes ago, Rupert said:

Look at the turn out at MCSC, then look at the old Kegworth numbers,At Orston on Sunday 180 plus. The numbers will drop massively as the hard core CPSA Registered shooters will move on.

When FIBRE WADS are mandatory EVERYWHERE, the EVERYONE will HAVE to comply.

Personally I see no problem with using FIBRE WAD cartridges and feel that BASC should have instigated the move rather than go down the NON LEAD route they have chosen for us.

2 hours ago, Rupert said:

I suggest the 'turnout' at MCSC possibly has more to do with holding the registered shoots on a Friday, rather than a weekend. Some shooters still go out to work, rather than 'work from home'  !

I too have not used plastic for may years as I don't like to see the bits all over.

Back on topic, the East Yorkshire Clays that is closing is very close to Humberside Shooting Ground. There are also a couple of other local grounds. I do wonder if the closure could be anything to do with competion from other grounds. 

8 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Do you honestly believe a move to FIBRE wads will kill off Registered Competitions?

No, but it will curtail a Registered comp type set up while plastic is permitted elsewhere. When its the same all over the wad wont matter.

7 hours ago, Mable said:

I too have not used plastic for may years as I don't like to see the bits all over.

Back on topic, the East Yorkshire Clays that is closing is very close to Humberside Shooting Ground. There are also a couple of other local grounds. I do wonder if the closure could be anything to do with competion from other grounds. 

Apples and oranges for comparison there. Beverley offers Registered fast trap sporting and sport trap competitions, None of which are offered at Humberside etc.

7 hours ago, Westley said:

I suggest the 'turnout' at MCSC possibly has more to do with holding the registered shoots on a Friday, rather than a weekend. Some shooters still go out to work, rather than 'work from home'  !

Indeed this is a factor, one of many, where do you shoot registered targets?

2 hours ago, Rupert said:

No, but it will curtail a Registered comp type set up while plastic is permitted elsewhere. When its the same all over the wad wont matter.

Apples and oranges for comparison there. Beverley offers Registered fast trap sporting and sport trap competitions, None of which are offered at Humberside etc.

Indeed this is a factor, one of many, where do you shoot registered targets?

I don't any more, my competition days are well over, although I will be shooting at Hodnet in March. (If I can manage that hill !  😄)  As has already been said, IF everyone is using fibre wads, what is the problem.  I recall years ago getting ready for a 100 bird DTL at Westhoughton, Lancs., When I got to the ground I realised I had put fibre and plastic wads in my bag. I tipped them all out mixed them up and then put them into 25's to shoot the comp. I did not know what I was shooting at any given time. I still finished 3rd and was in the winning team too.

I used to shoot an annual weekly Competition at East Yorkshire Gun Club, every September. Sporting, Skeet and DTL. We nearly all stayed in and around Beverley. I expect local businesses will also be hit, if the closure goes ahead ?

9 minutes ago, Westley said:

I will be shooting at Hodnet in March. (If I can manage that hill !  😄)  As has already been said, IF everyone is using fibre wads, what is the problem.  

Hodnet is always a good day out,despite that hill.

6 minutes ago, Westley said:

I used to shoot an annual weekly Competition at East Yorkshire Gun Club, every September. Sporting, Skeet and DTL. We nearly all stayed in and around Beverley. I expect local businesses will also be hit, if the closure goes ahead ?

The latter part, thats just the issue, its not everybody,next week its just Kegworth, i  feel for John, i have always enjoyed going there in the past. 

6 minutes ago, Westley said:

Beverley is a blow, its only an hour from me, its under cover, under Rob Hall and Sean the calibre of the place and value to Sporting shooters has increased tremendously in Recent years. The statement is untenable under current inpositions, maybe someone else will take it forward.

1 hour ago, Westley said:

me too for that particular event.used to a long road trip from the south but I've reduced that to around 30mins.

gutted at the news.

atb

f.

1 hour ago, Fuddster said:

me too for that particular event.used to a long road trip from the south but I've reduced that to around 30mins.

gutted at the news.

atb

f.

If was bad enough from West Lancs., but we always got a mini bus and shared the driving. I have not been for a few years, due to health, but I keep in touch with some of the guys, at local grounds. W.

Edited by Westley

15 hours ago, Rupert said:

Not really, if you don't book in advance and just turn up you'll be lucky to shoot unless someone let's you have a go while they have a break. However if you want to shoot under cover and the same clay every time it's ideal. Lots of money spent on shelters and buttons but little thought on variation of traps or layouts. That makes Humberside the better option as it has a "proper" sporting layout with 3 or 4 traps at each stand. Like you say I suppose, apples and oranges in standards and quality 

9 hours ago, Mable said:

Not really, if you don't book in advance and just turn up you'll be lucky to shoot unless someone let's you have a go while they have a break. However if you want to shoot under cover and the same clay every time it's ideal. Lots of money spent on shelters and buttons but little thought on variation of traps or layouts. That makes Humberside the better option as it has a "proper" sporting layout with 3 or 4 traps at each stand. Like you say I suppose, apples and oranges in standards and quality 

If you shoot registered comps then Humberside has nothing to offer