Favourite Gun

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

The wood and finish are indeed very nice indeed, but I much prefer a straight hand stock.  it may be because I have small hands, but some of the pistol grips with a fat palm swell are almost unusable for me.  It is relatively uncommon to see o/u's with straight hand.  One of my semi regrets in life was that when I bought a new premium Beretta (many years ago now) I went for the 'off the shelf' with a generous discount (which had a pistol grip) rather than order (or wait for) a straight hand.  Common sense says the pistol grip will have held it's value better that any special order straight hand would have, but since I still have the gun, that's all rather acedemic!

Had I ordered a straight hand (also with double triggers) that might have been my favourite gun now.

I think it's the best of both worlds straight hand combined with over and under barrels especially in 20 bore but I think I'm in the minority there 

With the magnum 12s I was brought up with for wildfowling my preferred option is an open pistol grip and a splinter forend I'm not a fan of beavertail forends on a side by side. 

Edited by Konor

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Very nice, I have an older Berreta 12g with SHS

I think the shallower action of the Beretta suits a straight hand stock although I have a custom Miroku in 12 bore with a straight hand stock and I enjoy shooting that but I think if it was a twenty it would be my favourite gun

DDCB4CC8-D6DB-4339-87A1-8F77E8F89A5E.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Konor said:

I think the shallower action of the Beretta suits a straight hand stock although I have a custom Miroku in 12 bore with a straight hand stock and I enjoy shooting that but I think if it was a twenty it would be my favourite gun

Beautiful, My favourite would be my McNab Highlander in a twenty bore [not actual gun] with Prince of Wales grip also have an old T Wild 3inch 12 bore wildfowler with the same grip...... thats also my favourite.😄

6298705a56b1a3.50108486.jpg.3415c87d04f2826b90e89a328765f6cd.jpg

Edited by islandgun

6 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Beautiful, My favourite would be my McNab Highlander in a twenty bore [not actual gun] with Prince of Wales grip also have an old T Wild 3inch 12 bore wildfowler with the same grip...... thats also my favourite.😄

I know the shop where that is, lovely isn’t it?

26 minutes ago, Konor said:

A mate has a high grade Browning with a roach belly stock. I wasn’t a fan at first but it grew on me when I used it. 
Still prefer a pistol grip however, and the steeper the better with a good palm swell. My Gamba Daytona is such a gun and it is just so tactile and positive to shoot. 

30 minutes ago, islandgun said:

The more favourites the better islandgun 😀

18 minutes ago, Scully said:

A mate has a high grade Browning with a roach belly stock. I wasn’t a fan at first but it grew on me when I used it. 
Still prefer a pistol grip however, and the steeper the better with a good palm swell. My Gamba Daytona is such a gun and it is just so tactile and positive to shoot. 

I shot a friends Browning that had a steep upright grip and it felt good in the hand. In theory I suppose it pays to stick to the one gun for most of your shooting for best results but variety certainly adds to the enjoyment to be had.

3 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I can recommend it, if your looking, it is my "go to gun" light at just over 6lb I use it for occasional walked up Woodcock and Duck/Greylag with TSS ...... below is  my favourite ones

stocks.jpg.bfa206bbf61065c5ad0a9754470624d4.jpg

Lovely guns and totally different. I like the old 1 and 1/2 oz wildfowlers . My cousin had a T. Bland “ The Brent “ when he was younger. I was very envious , I was shooting an AYA Cosmos at the time and I shot a lot of geese with it inland and used it with a .410 adapter for close range rabbit shooting around gorse but The Brent was different class.

14 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I can recommend it, if your looking, it is my "go to gun" light at just over 6lb I use it for occasional walked up Woodcock and Duck/Greylag with TSS ...... below is  my favourite ones

This is on it's way to me

IMG-20240112-WA0000.jpg

5 minutes ago, Konor said:

Lovely guns and totally different. I like the old 1 and 1/2 oz wildfowlers . My cousin had a T. Bland “ The Brent “ when he was younger. I was very envious , I was shooting an AYA Cosmos at the time and I shot a lot of geese with it inland and used it with a .410 adapter for close range rabbit shooting around gorse but The Brent was different class.

Blands are right up there, Never seen a Brent up close, but love the un-adorned purposeful look of them. so many nice British sbs selling for pennies. good to hear you were using a single for geese Im thinking a single shot should focus your mind, [my latest is that single ten😉]

14 minutes ago, button said:

This is on it's way to me

IMG-20240112-WA0000.jpg

Love it, 3inch magnum ? will you be using steel

33 minutes ago, islandgun said:

good to hear you were using a single for geese Im thinking a single shot should focus your mind, [my latest is that single ten😉]

Great when you down one with the single but agony if you fail and have no backup shot. I still remember some spectacular misses eg walking over a rough rolling field when around 10 geese appeared over a hillock at head height . One single miss and they were off. So lucky to be in that position and so unfortunate not to capitalise on it.

4 minutes ago, Konor said:

Great when you down one with the single but agony if you fail and have no backup shot. I still remember some spectacular misses eg walking over a rough rolling field when around 10 geese appeared over a hillock at head height . One single miss and they were off. So lucky to be in that position and so unfortunate not to capitalise on it.

Did you ever manage to reload and have a second shot ? My main fear for the ten is winging a bird without the follow on shot, even considering taking a second gun to quickly change and have a second shot, [if that would work] this would be from a hide

32 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Did you ever manage to reload and have a second shot ? My main fear for the ten is winging a bird without the follow on shot, even considering taking a second gun to quickly change and have a second shot, [if that would work] this would be from a hide

In my teens I have stalked onto geese on the field and hit one on the ground then one as they took off. The Cosmos was a non selective ejector so a quick reload was possible and the speed of departure was a bit less than the speed of birds flighting over you. I don’t think I have ever taken two flighted geese in quick succession though.I’ve also crawled the length of a muddy field on a few occasions without the benefit of waterproof gear and had geese jump two fields ahead of me so I’ve learnt to savour any success.

My present single ten is a fairly new acquisition and is a non ejector so I’ll probably be better concentrating on the one shot rather than screwing up two I’ll be in the same boat as yourself regarding clipping a bird with the single but it would be a similar position as clipping a bird with your second shot or third if you are using a semi.

Flighting from a hide with a single I think would require a spare shell in your left hand and the dexterity to break open what is probably a long barrelled gun and reload without getting caught up on a hide or having the second cartridge slipping out of the chamber before you were able to close the gun if you were attempting a reload with the  barrel up higher. Perhaps someone with specific experience can point us in the right direction.

Edited by Konor

Mine? I gave it, free, in 1997, to a German rather than see it destroyed in the Tory Government hand in ban. A pre-Model 27 Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum "N Frame" revolver with factory 5" barrel that I imported directly from the USA (Jim Supica's "Armchair Gun Show" catalogue) when such things could just be sent through the postal service. I use its serial  number as my password to a number of things. So as to always remind myself of the duplicity of those "friends of shooting" the Conservative Party when in government. 

Edited by enfieldspares

14 hours ago, islandgun said:

They both look gorgeous to me, I really like the pistol grip, they seem to suit me. I'll now keep an eye out for a realistically priced 12 bore SBS MacMab Highlander.😁 Looks like I'll be having to sell another OU to make space.

52 minutes ago, Mable said:

They both look gorgeous to me, I really like the pistol grip, they seem to suit me. I'll now keep an eye out for a realistically priced 12 bore SBS MacMab Highlander.😁 Looks like I'll be having to sell another OU to make space.

I’m afraid that you won’t find a SBS MacNab Highlander, they were all O/Us with semi-pistol grips as the top one in Islandgun’s photo. The bottom one is his SBS T.Wild.

My favourite gun is my latest 20 bore MacNab Highlander with 29 inch barrels, semi-pistol grip and solid top rib. What is there not to like. They handle like a dream.
OB

6 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I tend to like the semi pistol grip although I find the straight hand stock easier with the double trigger 

IMG_0914.jpeg

IMG_4522.png

Totally agree.