Question for MOT testers

paul1966

The lcd panel displaying the mileage has stopped working on my dash, I don't intend to sell the car anytime soon but not sure about the MOT, Does it need to be working? if not what will the tester put down for the mileage on the test.

Speedometer yes. Odometer no. My late mother's car had an old turning numbers odometer. It had ceased working. The car went through, and passed, many MoTs in that condition. The basic fact is that how, anyway, would it be checked? A car moves all of what? Ten yards for an MoT and not much more "distance" on the rolling road for the brake test.

Edited by enfieldspares

2 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

My late mother's car had an old turning numbers odometer. It had ceased working. The car went through, and passed, many MoTs in that condition. The basic fact is that how, anyway, would it be checked? 

Thanks, i didn't think it was just making sure, if I can find a used cluster I can take the LCD off i'll fix it but if not I'll just leave it.

7 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Speedometer yes. Odometer no. My late mother's car had an old turning numbers odometer. It had ceased working. The car went through, and passed, many MoTs in that condition. The basic fact is that how, anyway, would it be checked? A car moves all of what? Ten yards for an MoT and not much more "distance" on the rolling road for the brake test.

What mileage would the tester put on the test certificate 🤔

The odometer was an old turning numbers type so mileage they recorded was the one that was shown on the odometer. As to what happens when it is a modern digital one that needs to be illuminated to show the mileage reading you'd need to ask. If it doesn't need to be illuminated and can be read by the tester but has otherwise stopped working then they'll put down the mileage that it is displaying.  If it doesn't show any mileage at all I don't know.

Edited by enfieldspares

3 hours ago, paul1966 said:

The lcd panel displaying the mileage has stopped working on my dash, I don't intend to sell the car anytime soon but not sure about the MOT, Does it need to be working? if not what will the tester put down for the mileage on the test.

According to GOV.UK recording the odometer reading is now part of the MOT test.

I scrapped my 2001 Nissan navara 18 months ago with 64827 miles on the clock for the last 12 years of its life. It passed the mot even though the speedo hadn't worked for the last 12 years. Up to scrapping it as long as the speedo and odometer were illuminated it was ok. But that was 18 months ago.

from what i've just read online,since 2020/21 it has been discouraged to issue a paper MOT "pass" certificate (as if one is required it is available to print online) but a paper "fail" certificate should still be issued.

8 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Screenshot_20240127_230838_Samsung Internet.jpg

that second quote you've shoved in there only relates to Northern Ireland Harry😉

2 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

from what i've just read online,since 2020/21 it has been discouraged to issue a paper MOT "pass" certificate (as if one is required it is available to print online) but a paper "fail" certificate should still be issued.

that second quote you've shoved in there only relates to Northern Ireland Harry😉

I'm not bothered because I have my certificate 😉😉😉👍👍👍

I was both a tester and manager until I retired last year.

The recorded mileage is not a testable item so therefore can't be failed if not present, when entering the test results there is a check box for mileage not displayed or illegible.

You don't need to print out the MOT pass "certificate" unless the customer requests it, although many testers still do.

A fail should be printed.

All the information, pass/fail/advisories etc is available on line to anyone that cares to check, If you hold the V5 (logbook) you can print the "certificate off yourself.

The downside of this is it makes it possible for those that are that way inclined to get a free MOT. Ask me how if you can't work it out.😉

The only reason to have a physical copy might be... You have zero internet access and you like to have a physical copy as a reminder or for record keeping.

I can't think of a situation you'd be legally required to produce a paper "certificate".

The quote above from Halfords about needing it in the event of an insurance claim is utter nonsense, as I've said, the information is on line, your insurance company (or anyone else for that matter) can check the MOT status of any vehicle at any time.

Both car and trike went through mots in the last 2 months, you get a printed piece of a4 paper showing the pass, the actual mot pass certificate is online, you can log on using your v5 and download it if you want although there is little point.