CWD & Hares with Golden Eagles

Fargo

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

To be fair, each to their own, my gripe is why film it and put it on social media, some things (like this) best kept under the radar in my opinion

Why keep it under the radar it's not illegal i myself won't shoot Hares but some do so crack on 

I haven’t watched the film.
Some mates and I ( I was the ferret man ) used to use ferrets to bolt rabbits to raptors many moons ago. 
Had some fabulous days out! 👍

The practice of using raptors to pursue and kill game either for sport or to hunt food goes back centuries, and still goes on today all over the world.
Indigenous people in some parts of Mongolia for example, still hunt like this. By its very nature it has to be one of the most sustainable ways there is to hunt for food. 
The affluent West however has become so comfortably insulated from the realities of life and separated from the fact that if they eat meat then something has to die, that tolerance for this type of thing would be very short lived. 
The bird is just doing what they do; driven by millennia of evolution and instinct. All it would take for us to do likewise ( vegans included ) is two or three weeks without electricity and empty supermarket shelves. 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

Some mates and I ( I was the ferret man ) used to use ferrets to bolt rabbits to raptors many moons ago. 

The practice of using raptors to pursue and kill game either for sport or to hunt food goes back centuries, and still goes on today all over the world.
Indigenous people in some parts of Mongolia for example, still hunt like this. By its very nature it has to be one of the most sustainable ways there is to hunt for food. 
The affluent West however has become so comfortably insulated from the realities of life and separated from the fact that if they eat meat then something has to die, that tolerance for this type of thing would be very short lived. 
The bird is just doing what they do; driven by millennia of evolution and instinct. All it would take for us to do likewise ( vegans included ) is two or three weeks without electricity and empty supermarket shelves. 🤷‍♂️

How would you have stopped a BOP going after a ferret that had surfaced? I appreciate the answer maybe not to slip the jesses (possibly incorrect terminology?) when a ferret is above ground but I'm sure you'll have encountered a situation in which both a rabbit bolts and ferret is above ground unbeknown to the BOP handler. 

BOPs don't strike me as having the ability to discern between prey animals and fellow working animals and any furry creature on the ground is fair game to them. 

10 minutes ago, Scully said:

we also used to burn witches and execute people by hanging,drawing and quartering or putting massive weights on their chests.

same with hunting,spears and bows and arrows got superceded by more humane and effective/efficient methods.

i find it hard to believe that hunting with dogs is illegal but eagles/hawks isn't ESPECIALLY with animals as large as CWD/Munties etc.

19 minutes ago, Scully said:

Well said, as usual.

43 minutes ago, Scully said:

Good post.

Actually, that should be mandatory for vegans!

2 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

How would you have stopped a BOP going after a ferret that had surfaced? I appreciate the answer maybe not to slip the jesses (possibly incorrect terminology?) when a ferret is above ground but I'm sure you'll have encountered a situation in which both a rabbit bolts and ferret is above ground unbeknown to the BOP handler. 

BOPs don't strike me as having the ability to discern between prey animals and fellow working animals and any furry creature on the ground is fair game to them. 

The answer to your question is like any form of training you break them to your ferrets your dogs i used to fly my Harris Hawks as  a cast that means two at a time 

you can make them follow on flying from one tree to another as you work the hedges with the dogs when you come to a burrow chuck the ferrets in and they can tell the rabbit from the ferrets it is a great form of hunting and as Scully said it go back centuries 

Edited by Rim Fire

5 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

Of course we were all aware it could happen, but I genuinely can’t ever recall it being a problem. 

5 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

we also used to burn witches and execute people by hanging,drawing and quartering or putting massive weights on their chests.

same with hunting,spears and bows and arrows got superceded by more humane and effective/efficient methods.

i find it hard to believe that hunting with dogs is illegal but eagles/hawks isn't ESPECIALLY with animals as large as CWD/Munties etc.

I seriously don’t see what the former in your post has to do with the latter! Perhaps you could elaborate? 

50 minutes ago, Scully said:

Of course we were all aware it could happen, but I genuinely can’t ever recall it being a problem. 

I seriously don’t see what the former in your post has to do with the latter! Perhaps you could elaborate? 

errrrrrr,evolution!

and the fact that if there is a genuine need to control any species on any land there are better "evolved" methods that are,as far as i'm concerned,far more humane (as is clearly evident in the video) and effective/efficient methods.

hope that's clear enough.

Edited by Zoli 12 guage

I think you’re confusing evolution with education, intelligence and compassion @Zoli 12 guage
We stopped burning witches because we know there are no such things. That’s intelligence brought about through education. 
We still execute people, although it’s carried out in a much more humane manner by comparison. Thats compassion. Both are aided by education and technology. 
We evolved into the apex predator because of the way our brains developed or evolved. Our brains allowed us over time to develop the use of tools to make us more efficient hunters. Thats evolution aided by intelligence and education and technology, however basic that latter may be, passed down throughout millennia, which eventually led us to erect enclosures around some animals and domesticating them, and thereby making us farmers….much more practical than running around the place all day looking for food! 🙂
Hunting with raptors is a choice we make, as is using a bow or a shotgun or rifle. We don’t have to do it but some choose to, because the hunting gene is stronger in some than in others. 
Equally some are more compassionate than others. Those big brains we evolved have allowed us to cultivate a society which can function perfectly well without the need to hunt or kill anything to survive, even the meat eaters are so far removed from the dirty work through a lack of education that many dont associate one with the other! Neither have any need to go out and hunt for their food anymore. 
All those people however, even the compassionate ones who deplore what we do, the vegetarians and the vegans, would revert back to the ultimate apex predator very soon after all the things which allow them not to be so, disappeared. Thats evolution. 
Explained basically granted, but that’s it in a nutshell.

None of which has anything to do with cruelty, which as one PW member so accurately put it, is ‘the indifference to suffering’, and that is something which everyone on this forum who shoots live quarry, is guilty of. 

I hope that’s clear enough. 

Edited by Scully

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I think you’re confusing evolution with education, intelligence and compassion @Zoli 12 guage
We stopped burning witches because we know there are no such things. That’s intelligence brought about through education. 
We still execute people, although it’s carried out in a much more humane manner by comparison. Thats compassion. Both are aided by education and technology. 
We evolved into the apex predator because of the way our brains developed or evolved. Our brains allowed us over time to develop the use of tools to make us more efficient hunters. Thats evolution aided by intelligence and education and technology, however basic that latter may be, passed down throughout millennia, which eventually led us to erect enclosures around some animals and domesticating them, and thereby making us farmers….much more practical than running around the place all day looking for food! 🙂
Hunting with raptors is a choice we make, as is using a bow or a shotgun or rifle. We don’t have to do it but some choose to, because the hunting gene is stronger in some than in others. 
Equally some are more compassionate than others. Those big brains we evolved have allowed us to cultivate a society which can function perfectly well without the need to hunt or kill anything to survive, even the meat eaters are so far removed from the dirty work through a lack of education that many dont associate one with the other! Neither have any need to go out and hunt for their food anymore. 
All those people however, even the compassionate ones who deplore what we do, the vegetarians and the vegans, would revert back to the ultimate apex predator very soon after all the things which allow them not to be so, disappeared. Thats evolution. 
Explained basically granted, but that’s it in a nutshell.

None of which has anything to do with cruelty, which as one PW member so accurately put it, is ‘the indifference to suffering’, and that is something which everyone on this forum who shoots live quarry, is guilty of. 

I hope that’s clear enough. 

thanks for that bud👍

but if i'd wanted educating in sociology i wouldn't have done my degree in engineering.🙄

It's a travesty that this was banned one hare one dog live or die, (and by the way I always insisted on a  fair bit of law) never winged or wounded and had to be tracked and retrieved. I'm not decrying the shooting man by any manner if means but as I've said before "United we stand Divided we fall" and the dogmen were pushed. Up in Scotland now the law states that it's perfectly fine to fly a bird of prey on rabbits and for the hawk to be left to kill its prey in its own time, to run a lurcher dog on rabbits to be retrieved live back to hand is cruel and illegal *** lads and lassies what has the country come to!!!!!!

IMG-20170107-WA0000.jpg

On 24/02/2024 at 11:51, Zoli 12 guage said:

thanks for that bud👍

but if i'd wanted educating in sociology i wouldn't have done my degree in engineering.🙄

But he's right, nonetheless.

19 hours ago, Brambles said:

It's a travesty that this was banned one hare one dog live or die, (and by the way I always insisted on a  fair bit of law) never winged or wounded and had to be tracked and retrieved. I'm not decrying the shooting man by any manner if means but as I've said before "United we stand Divided we fall" and the dogmen were pushed. Up in Scotland now the law states that it's perfectly fine to fly a bird of prey on rabbits and for the hawk to be left to kill its prey in its own time, to run a lurcher dog on rabbits to be retrieved live back to hand is cruel and illegal *** lads and lassies what has the country come to!!!!!!

IMG-20170107-WA0000.jpg

Mad world, ain't it?