Choke stuck in barrel!

Aled

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Is the correct answer.

But they are so…….unnecessary.

Depends what variety of clay disciplines you shoot. I also occasionally (not often) find multi’s useful for adapting to different extremes of live quarry scenarios. Each to their own I suppose. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Fellside said:

useful for adapting to different extremes of live quarry scenarios. 

In your head. 
But if it works for you, crack on. 
I find open chokes work for me in all situations. That is, from close decoyed pigeon to Welsh mountain pheasants via 25 years coastal wildfowling without once feeling under choked.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

In your head. 
But if it works for you, crack on. 
I find open chokes work for me in all situations. That is, from close decoyed pigeon to Welsh mountain pheasants via 25 years coastal wildfowling without once feeling under choked.

The pattern plate doesn’t lie. Try asking a skeet shooter to compete with 3/4 and full…?! Ask a down-the-line shooter to use cylinder and skeet…?! Would they take you up on it?

Having said that, if I were returning back to fixed chokes, I would choose open ones. They do cover most average situations, but I would miss tighter chokes for the tall stuff or when the pigeons aren’t decoying properly. 

I suppose there is a reason why multi chokes have become normalised for the great majority of shotgunners. If they ever invent self cleaning ones - now there’s a winner…..🙂

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

Last round of skeet i shot was 24/25 using 3/4 and full.

I have a fixed choke trap gun which I use for sporting 3/8 and 3/8. Never had anything out of range yet.

Yes we’ve all done that at times but pro skeet champions (i.e those that have straight hundreds for breakfast) use skeet chokes. Answer honestly: would you enter a skeet comp’ using 3/4 and full? If you did would consider that you had any advantage by doing so?

fellside - got to be honest. I shot quite a lot of skeet in the 1980s with 1/4 and 1/4 or a Remington 1100 skeet gun. I had been to a sporting shoot and a mate asked if I fancied a round of skeet. A trap gun was all I had. 🙂

I wasn't good enough to shoot skeet regularly with tight chokes or even sporting. 

9 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

fellside - got to be honest. I shot quite a lot of skeet in the 1980s with 1/4 and 1/4 or a Remington 1100 skeet gun. I had been to a sporting shoot and a mate asked if I fancied a round of skeet. A trap gun was all I had. 🙂

I wasn't good enough to shoot skeet regularly with tight chokes or even sporting. 

It was a good score, especially with tight chokes, well done.

Some of the top skeet shots use tight chokes for training to make their shooting more accurate - then revert to skeet chokes for comps. I had the pleasure of shooting with some top skeet men a couple of years ago - team GB etc. Boy they could shoot! They were training with full chokes and the clays were disappearing in a puff of smoke. Impressive. I missed a couple - they didn’t. That’s the difference between a club shot like me and someone at their level. I appreciate this has little to do with the OPs topic, but interesting to get people’s views. Ramble ends. 

51 minutes ago, Fellside said:

It was a good score, especially with tight chokes, well done.

Some of the top skeet shots use tight chokes for training to make their shooting more accurate - then revert to skeet chokes for comps. I had the pleasure of shooting with some top skeet men a couple of years ago - team GB etc. Boy they could shoot! They were training with full chokes and the clays were disappearing in a puff of smoke. Impressive. I missed a couple - they didn’t. That’s the difference between a club shot like me and someone at their level. I appreciate this has little to do with the OPs topic, but interesting to get people’s views. Ramble ends. 

No matter, 3 pages in and the PO's topic has been well covered; besides you've made some good and very valid points in your various posts. Shooting was already changing from that of the 19th and early 20th centuries when in the mid 1900s along came NTS and the various studies into its effectiveness. These revealed that in addition to the information they were looking for, historical ideas needed changing as whereas previously the majority of 'targets' engaged were at a range where little or no choke was required and as a consequence even if it was given any consideration it only applied to the ranges in vogue. As we're shooting a scatter gun, a 100% success rate is not ballistically possible so in order to be reasonably successful with the longer range shooting now more common, multi chokes for a varied quarry/range one gun man have their advantages. I mean, who would have ever thought that 1&1/4 oz of No 3 shot would have ever been considered essential for pheasant. :oops:

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

Have you told Hull or Gamebore? :innocent:

If idiots are stupid enough to buy such things thinking they are suitable for pheasants the manufacturers will happily provide them.

I have even seen said idiots using that exact load for traditional type Lincolnshire partridges over hedges.

• 2 weeks later...

Last lap of self attempts olypigeon,  Ordered the vinegar and it is arriving today, so i will try the vinegar dip first, if that doesn't work, will stick barrels in deep freeze  (Wife is away on Monday so can do without hassle) then if the chokes are still stuck  I'll phone the only gun shop in my area and ask where the nearest gunsmith is!!! .....oddly enough BASC don't seem to know. 

Cheers Aled

10 minutes ago, Aled said:

Last lap of self attempts olypigeon,  Ordered the vinegar and it is arriving today, so i will try the vinegar dip first, if that doesn't work, will stick barrels in deep freeze  (Wife is away on Monday so can do without hassle) then if the chokes are still stuck  I'll phone the only gun shop in my area and ask where the nearest gunsmith is!!! .....oddly enough BASC don't seem to know. 

Cheers Aled

Did you try putting the choke key in and hitting it with a hammer?….downwards.

1 minute ago, Aled said:

Yes old'un I did that early doors,...twice. 

Sounds like it is well and truly stuck, if its that bad I would think its possibly rust welded, if the vinegar does not work, heat maybe your only option.

I had a similar problem I managed to removed it but it was not a quick fix by every day putting, brushing a quality penetrating oil between the barrel and choke such that it made its way down to the threads, storing the gun barrel up. I did this for a few weeks and shot the gun at the weekend on clays. After the clay shot I tried to remove the choke and then bingo it was finally free to turn.

Vinegar may remove the bluing.