Guard dogs

An unusual topic i'm sure, but I'm probably going to be watching over and occupying a newly purchased large property where there has been considerable squatter occupancy and theft of some content (bathrooms suite, carpet, toilet...and so on) of late (it is semi derelict). I own a couple of terriers but would prefer a visual and audible deterrent presence, ie a sizeable dog for about a  month tops whilst the place is made properly secure. It appears that for the fairly obvious reasons trying to hire a security type dog without a handler is out of the question, has anyone heard of or experienced any other options at all. I can't own a third dog, at present

Edited by Acerforestry

Both prior company and current company have started using Deter PID360  security units on remote sites, sends an alert to remote monitoring and to your phone when activated and there are increasing numbers of security companies supplying them.

If property is going to be rennovated, might be worth whilst looking into.

https://detertech.com/pid-360/

What like home alone.? (Macauly culkin) film.

Smokeand mirrors deception job.  The problem with getting a random aggressive dog/s is that if they bite someone then you become liable which would be a financial hole.

Edited by Minky

10 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

What about a tape recording etc. of dogs barking played on a loop.

I actually considered this, regardless of if some may laugh. Also the comment above about liability if the dog bites an intruder is doubtless quite right though it does raise the question these days of exactly what yolu can do to deter criminals, the law seems to be in their favour too much of the time

Possibly you have the wrong assumptions, I'm not borrowing his dog, just a discussion about this topic that can remain private. Out of interest though, how does this man's personal  dog differ from those supplied by a company, with a handler?

37 minutes ago, Acerforestry said:

Possibly you have the wrong assumptions, I'm not borrowing his dog, just a discussion about this topic that can remain private. Out of interest though, how does this man's personal  dog differ from those supplied by a company, with a handler?

Liability. if you use an aggressive dog, or any dog for that matter and your not licensed to and it then bites someone, your going to be in a world of trouble.

16 hours ago, Acerforestry said:

Ok, fair comment though that won't be applying in this case, for the record

How do you know? Fargo said his dog is a very nasty German Shepherd, if it bites someone, intentionally or not, your going to be in trouble, particularly with the premeditated element of wanting it for the purpose of being a guard dog.

I've got to be honest, the idea is so ludicrous, I assumed Fargo was being sarcastic, offering the use of his dog.

The days of the scrap yard gaurd dog roaming around on its own is long gone and unfortunately, even burglars have rights.

On 01/03/2024 at 21:41, Fargo said:

Got a very nasty German Shepard you can have that will chase and bite anyone you tell it to.  

Sounds like a great way to end up in court. 

Any dog used in a security / guard dog role should be suitably trained and INSURED. 

With the current no win, no fee legal lot offering claims with no potential cost to the claimant you’d be mad not to have insurance for a few million for any dog like that. 

17 minutes ago, London Best said:

Not in my house they don’t.

Your bravado won’t help you when in court. 

36 minutes ago, London Best said:

Not in my house they don’t.

I get why you feel like you do, there are many areas of law most people don't agree with, but all a judge will care about when sentencing is that the law is applied. At the end of the day, what you do is your choice and any consequences for you to justify 👍

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

No but when you have to pay them a significant amount for their injuries you’d probably wish you’d just done a better job securing the house. 

This is the problem, people just accept that being burgled is your own fault for not securing your property better.

I prefer the USA way. This is what we should all be lobbying for, along with better self defence laws.

If someone breaks into your property, what happens to them should be their problem, and the law should be on your side.

The law should be applied thus - if this person had not entered your property, you would not have attacked them. Therefore it is their actions that caused yours.

2 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

This is the problem, people just accept that being burgled is your own fault for not securing your property better.

I prefer the USA way. This is what we should all be lobbying for, along with better self defence laws.

If someone breaks into your property, what happens to them should be their problem, and the law should be on your side.

The law should be applied thus - if this person had not entered your property, you would not have attacked them. Therefore it is their actions that caused yours.

I never said that’s the way I wanted it to be but you have to accept facts. 

There are several ways to protect your property. 

If your dog attacks someone and they’re a no good scum bag you can rest are used they’ll try and sue up with some no win no fee outfit as they’ve nothing to lose and all to gain and we already know they’re a immoral person. 

That’s without the extra risk it attacks some poor kid / postman. 

The law is an *** as they say. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

How do you know? Fargo said his dog is a very nasty German Shepherd, if it bites someone, intentionally or not, your going to be in trouble, particularly with the premeditated element of wanting it for the purpose of being a guard dog.

I've got to be honest, the idea is so ludicrous, I assumed Fargo was being sarcastic, offering the use of his dog.

The days of the scrap yard gaurd dog roaming around on its own is long gone and unfortunately, even burglars have rights.

I did state quite categorically...I'm not borrowing the dog?? Why are you insisting (bafflingly) that i am. This appears to be an insistence on instigating a argument on here, which you have done quite well going by London Best's reply. Perhaps the correct approach according to you is to allow random intruders on your property and not show any interest in deterring them, and maybe allow them to assault you if you challenge them. What a great philosophy

Edited by Acerforestry

1 hour ago, Acerforestry said:

I did state quite categorically...I'm not borrowing the dog?? Why are you insisting (bafflingly) that i am. This appears to be an insistence on instigating a argument on here, which you have done quite well going by London Best's reply. Perhaps the correct approach according to you is to allow random intruders on your property and not show any interest in deterring them, and maybe allow them to assault you if you challenge them. What a great philosophy

Not at all, but even hiring someone with a dog if unlicensed could land you and the other person in serious trouble if it all went wrong, the fact there's squatter activity makes it even worse, if they claim it's their lawful residence after receiving a serious bite.

I was simply pointing out how messy the situation could be if not done lawfully, as I wouldn't want to see someone get themselves into trouble. Fargos response didn't on the face of it appear to be from a legitimate security company and read more as a person with a nasty dog, that he stated you could have, which you pm'd him, so how else was anyone supposed to view that?

Either way, do what you want 👍

On 04/03/2024 at 09:35, Lloyd90 said:

Sounds like a great way to end up in court. 

Any dog used in a security / guard dog role should be suitably trained and INSURED. 

With the current no win, no fee legal lot offering claims with no potential cost to the claimant you’d be mad not to have insurance for a few million for any dog like that. 

Your bravado won’t help you when in court. 

It’s on an insurance policy when used by trained handler . Dog was best part of 9k at 2.5 years old. I’d happily let it off on someone about to hurt me or friends and family as then sort of folk won’t go to hospital or police.

4 hours ago, Fargo said:

It’s on an insurance policy when used by trained handler . Dog was best part of 9k at 2.5 years old. I’d happily let it off on someone about to hurt me or friends and family as then sort of folk won’t go to hospital or police.

That’s the way to do it!