Stock damage (possibly imaginary)

On 02/03/2024 at 20:03, TIGHTCHOKE said:

A couple of hundred years ago some clever chap invented the "MOTOR CASE".  

Really very useful for moving expensive guns around in vehicles.   

That was REALLY good forward planning, to invent the Motor Case before the advent of the Motor car, his crystal ball was obviously working overtime!

Slight red herring (for which I apologise, but some may find these interesting).

Wnen shooting became popular late 19th century, travel within the British Isles was mainly by train and there was a 'tide' of sportsmen going north in August, and coming south again probably in September/October.  The artist George Earl painted these two pictures, which are now in the National Railway Museum.  They are very detailed and I find them fascinating (I have prints hanging in the house).  Prints are widely available.

https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/going-north-kings-cross-station-london-9388

https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/coming-south-perth-station-9389

15 hours ago, martinj said:

That was REALLY good forward planning, to invent the Motor Case before the advent of the Motor car, his crystal ball was obviously working overtime!

Okay, I was being rather general.

First car about 1886

So the Motor case is NOT 200 years old. 

Keep up your moderate pedancy.

18 hours ago, Mr.C said:

Have a search on here for motor cases. I'm sure there is someone on here that refurbs them and would be the man to ask about a invisible job

You probably mean alan123shooting on here. He does some amazing work with guncases and is a really nice guy to deal with.

OB

18 hours ago, Mr.C said:

Have a search on here for motor cases. I'm sure there is someone on here that referbs them and would be the man to ask about a invisible job

18 hours ago, PeterHenry said:

That's why I was asking TIGHTCHOKE 👍

But I agree that there's a wealth of information / knowledge pepole about on this forum

As Old Boggy says Alan is a wizard with gun cases.

I usually replace locks and handles to keep old ones going.

I do have access to a foam molder, two part system that actually forms around the object you are packing.

One day I will buy an old beaten up gun case and properly fit a gun inside and then fit the baize over the foam.

20 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

You probably mean alan123shooting on here. He does some amazing work with guncases and is a really nice guy to deal with.

OB

That's the fella, thank you.

1 minute ago, alan123shooting said:

Yes I do renovations on cases, however i will not be doing any for a while, I’m fighting the big C at the moment and I’m currently in hospital after major surgery so we shall see what we shall see cheers chaps thanks for being out there

Hope it all works out Alan.

11 hours ago, alan123shooting said:

Yes I do renovations on cases, however i will not be doing any for a while, I’m fighting the big C at the moment and I’m currently in hospital after major surgery so we shall see what we shall see cheers chaps thanks for being out there

Alan

Hope all goes well for you Alan.

OB

On 07/03/2024 at 08:37, Old Boggy said:

OB

👍

On 07/03/2024 at 08:44, TIGHTCHOKE said:

As Old Boggy says Alan is a wizard with gun cases.

I usually replace locks and handles to keep old ones going.

I do have access to a foam molder, two part system that actually forms around the object you are packing.

One day I will buy an old beaten up gun case and properly fit a gun inside and then fit the baize over the foam.

A foam molder sounds like a very useful thing

17 hours ago, alan123shooting said:

Alan

Hope it works out for the best

On 07/03/2024 at 06:26, JohnfromUK said:

Slight red herring (for which I apologise, but some may find these interesting).

Wnen shooting became popular late 19th century, travel within the British Isles was mainly by train and there was a 'tide' of sportsmen going north in August, and coming south again probably in September/October.  The artist George Earl painted these two pictures, which are now in the National Railway Museum.  They are very detailed and I find them fascinating (I have prints hanging in the house).  Prints are widely available.

https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/going-north-kings-cross-station-london-9388

https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/coming-south-perth-station-9389

I'm a big fan of both of those paintings - looking at them you can almost feel the anticipation and atmosphere.

18 hours ago, alan123shooting said:

Alan

Like the others I wish you all the best sir.

On 06/03/2024 at 14:11, PeterHenry said:

I know Brady use to provide spare baize with their cases, so they could be fitted by the end user - but in the absence of any, do you have any tips on how to make the case fit better, without it looking like it's been bodged?

Sacrifice the baize on the two lids to the covered compartments to get baize to use to make blocks for the muzzle ends of the barrels. And blocks for the action flats. If you do the job with care you can lift the baize off the lids using a knife edge between baize and wood. 

15 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Sacrifice the baize on the two lids to the covered compartments to get baize to use to make blocks for the muzzle ends of the barrels. And blocks for the action flats. If you do the job with care you can lift the baize off the lids using a knife edge between baize and wood. 

maybe use a steam gun ?

more than likely the glue would be some form of contact adhesive, I doubt it would be pearl glue, the former will not take kindly to being mucked about with. You can try a not too hot iron, place a cloth over the area and apply the heat to melt the glue.

Can you not get some red felt and some plant setting foam. 
cut it then place the felt over using some sewing pins to hold it in place then just slide the block into the gap. 

easy to remove and no damage anywhere until you have it sorted professionally 

Edited by ph5172

On 08/03/2024 at 14:36, enfieldspares said:

👍

On 08/03/2024 at 14:52, ditchman said:

maybe use a steam gun ?

👍

On 08/03/2024 at 15:05, enfieldspares said:

Hmm? It tightens the weave.

👍

On 09/03/2024 at 06:33, alan123shooting said:

more than likely the glue would be some form of contact adhesive, I doubt it would be pearl glue, the former will not take kindly to being mucked about with. You can try a not too hot iron, place a cloth over the area and apply the heat to melt the glue.

👍

9 hours ago, ph5172 said:

Can you not get some red felt and some plant setting foam. 
cut it then place the felt over using some sewing pins to hold it in place then just slide the block into the gap. 

easy to remove and no damage anywhere until you have it sorted professionally 

👍

Thanks all - very appreciative of the advise you have all given. In fear of makeing a mess, i'll take it to somone when I have some time on my hands - and either go for removing fabric from the lids, or having bits made with a constrasting fabric / leather / material.